PDA

View Full Version : Tolerances...?

Maggot6
05-21-2006, 03:43 PM
A quote from the slug body thread...

How fast they forget.....
We DID license slugs to two companies and neither one got them right. Sure, EVERYONE can make a part to the right tollerances :rolleyes:
AGD

And a quote from dictionary.com

tol·er·ance
1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
A. Leeway for variation from a standard.
B. The permissible deviation from a specified value of a structural dimension, often expressed as a percent.

This leads me to a few questions.

1.) How are slug bodies produced? Are they a tube of metal that just gets drilled out? Or are there molds that just get metal poured into them or something?

2.) How did the people Tom referred to(assuming the "I.T." bodies?) make something with the "Wrong" tolerances? Are there just certain areas of the body that need not to be touched, because there is so much pressure on them?

Cow hunter
05-21-2006, 03:51 PM
i dont know how they're made, but if i had to guess id say they were cut from a brick of aluminum using some sort of specialized machine.

again, im not certain, but i think the IT bodies just werent the right size, so they leaked from certain places or didnt line up correctly

peewee
05-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I always thought that they were machined out of raw stock. The problem being that many shops have sloppy workmanship. When given a tolerance many shops run with the "if its close its good enough" I work in QC & I see a large variation in workmanship daily, I have some guys that will machine parts within +/-.003 while the next guy is running parts in the same batch at +/- .015. In some cases with multiple tolerances being out you get a tolerance build up that in some cases makes a product non-functional.

RRfireblade
05-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Tolerances are simply allowable error that will have no effect on function.

Basically it's the total amount of dimension that a manufactured part can vary from the spec. Each area of a part has allowable error that encompasses at least 2 aspects , allowable error for such a part to fit or work on it's own and the effect of 'stacked' error or stacked tolerances which encompasses the effect of the largest possible error of a dimension of a number of parts that work together in an asssembly.

The Mag , by design , really only calls for particularly tight tolerances in a few areas but those are very intregal to the proper function of the marker as a whole unit. These are those of which that 'stack'. This is due to the fact that the valve sit's in a body/tube that sits on a rail that sits on a trigger frame.

The Mags largest shortcoming to high volume production and the assimilation of aftermarket parts is based directly on this fact. If a single part of the equasion fails , the whole design fails.

Mag parts include both machining and extrusions. Extrusions that then get machined in critical areas. This is true of the bodies and the rails.

FiXeL
05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
True.

All designs have tolerances on their parts. A marker is made out of multiple parts that have to be milled/lathed to certain tolerances. These tolerances are incorperated into the design and sometimes alterations to the tolerances are made when problems occur with the final product.

For instance:

If you drill and ream a hole to exactly .50", you will never be able to fit an axle in of that same diameter. Usually they make the hole a bit bigger for a specified fit. They make the hole like .502 and this must be between .501 and .503. The ideal size would be .502 and we call it the nominal size, whereas .501 to .503 is the tolerance field you have to work in. Everything outside that exact size is out of spec and would be a fautly workpiece. (i work with the metric system, so these tolerances could be a bit weird)

I donīt make paintballguns, but i do work as a CNC milling machine operator, and sometimes we see tolerance alterations on the workpiece dwawings. When a new product is designed that is made out of several presision components, errors like too tight, too much play, or non fitting parts will happen. If problems like this occur, the tolerances are changed so everything will be in spec. so the final product will be working.

Same goes for markers and er... isnīt that called product development? :rolleyes: