PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a mag

Lomarandil
05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, I've been looking around here and at airgun.com and have decided I would like a mag for my next gun... problem is, I'm a bit confused as to what upgrades do what and work with what other upgrades etc.. so I'm thinking I'll put down what I want in terms of performance, and maybe we could go from there.. and please keep in mind, I'm on a strict budget (still to be determined, but it'll be tight)

Ok, bps wise, I really only need/want around 8-12... mostly I pick and choose shots.. wouldn't need a xvalve by any means.. the ability to put a level 10 on would be nice...
barrel threads: I would like to get some sort of barrel kit, so something with standard threads would be nice...
Grip wise, just a standard grip.. Is the intellifeed's only real asset the ability to link up with an electronic hopper (and look awesome while doing so)?
and I'll likely only run a Qloader or gravity for now...cause that's what I have..

And this is where it gets tricky.. I'd like to have the option to eventually go to a ULT warp feed, but if I'm correct this would necessitate getting a recent body style (ULE or Tac-one)..And that's out of my price range.. but if I'm wrong, let me know...

Thanks!

Lo

ABTOCMEPTb
05-21-2006, 11:57 PM
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196649

My xmag would be your best investment ever.

geekwarrior
05-22-2006, 12:23 AM
welcome to AO :clap:

I would look in the for sale threads here and find something in your price range. Don't worry about getting everything you need right away, you can always upgrade as your budget allows. The great thing about automags is most of the parts are interchangable. Biggest thing you need to get is the level 10. I would recommend an x-valve, but if your on a limited budget, or if you dont have compressed air, get the classic.

Whats your price range? a nice mag can be had for around 150-200

RT Old School
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
<a href="http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=368&categoryID=79">Take a look here.</a>

Its AGDs store where they sell the custom RT Pros. You can get a brand new RT, complete with x-valve and level 10 tuned and tested at AGD for $355. For an extra $10 you can upgrade to a Black ULE body, either vert feed or warp left. When you go ULE body you can use 'cocker threaded barrels and of course all the barrel kits that fit it. When I ordered mine I was using the Q loader and ran with a warp body. That made my transition to the warp feed 6 months down the road painless. You'll also notice that they offer a new warp feed at 1/2 price if you order it now. I would personally wait and try your Q loader on the gun, and if you wanted to go warp, pick one up form the B/S/T forums here. You dont need an intelliframe if you are running a Q.

To recap.

$365 for the RT Pro w/ULE Warp body. You're ready to rock right out of the box.
A couple of months down the road...barrel kit.
After that...maybe a warp feed system.
Then maybe Intelliframe. Or decide if you want to try the ULT trigger pull kit.

The great thing is that you play after each upgrade and determine for yourself if you want to take another step up. When I bought my freak kit, I started with the back, a 14 inch tip, and only one insert. (make it a big one) You can find inserts fairly cheap online, so I pick a new one up every couple of weeks. You will save money buying the kit all at once, but my wallet doesnt notice a $15 hit every couple of months. Plus I'll never possibly use every size out there, so I just have a range of mid sized inserts.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the 'mag family!

ABTOCMEPTb
05-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Just be aware that if you are planning to stay in paintball sooner or later you start thinking about getting nice high-end marker. You will attempt to get some money back by selling stuff you already own just to realize how low resale value is. And that marker that you paid $400 can't be sold for 80-90% of its value. You will be lucky to get 75%.

My advise (and not because I offered you my marker) do the same thing as you do when you buying house or car. Buy something that can keep its resale value.

I mean if you desperate to start playing right away and you are on a budget than just buy some used minimag for $150 and be happy with it. Otherwise invest in good new emag/used xmag or new mechmag like Paradigm (if you want to stay with mag family). Trust me you this way you save yourself a lot of money and headache in the future.

And ofcourse one barrel kit like pepperstick or Deadlywind.

Lomarandil
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Haha.. ABTOMEPTb... Obviously your idea of a tight budget is different than mine.. Sweet mag, but about $600 over what I could afford (and that's if I really blow the budget, I was hoping for 150-200 used or around 300 new..)

And wow, that's awesome for the RT pro... I'll have to wait a bit longer to save up, but brand new with the warp feed body for 365? That's awesome... This deal will last until I can save up that much, right? (2-3 months...ish)..

And as far as barrels go, I already have freak inserts for my WWA Justice barrel on my Spyder, so I'd just get another with autococker threads and go that direction... another 45, but that way I can use what I've got..

And if anyone has a used RT pro, I may be interested.. depending on the price the option to get it sooner might overwhelm me... lol

Thanks!
Lo

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
05-22-2006, 12:20 PM
i started with a automag classic that i ended up putting a lvl x in it, intelliframe and found a twist lock freak back. Then i parted it out , and bought me a RT pro and i love it. Very nice bps rate. I found the RT pro on here for cheap.. Just keep an eye out in the marker section sometimes you can even find one in the Misc. Paintball Items also.... Good luck finding one... These are very nice markers with a lot less problems than a electic marker...

paint magnet
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
If you're not too concerned about upgrades, you can get a Classic RT for next to nothing. All the same performance and LX compatability as the newer models...it just weighs a bit more.