PDA

View Full Version : 15 Degree ASAs: Doc's vs. Rogue's?

Corbet
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm looking to get a 15 degree ASA. I'm planning on possibly tapping it for a LPR (pneumag) and I was wondering if there is a difference at all between the 2? Any advantages/disadvantages?

shorty24
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I have also been considering tapping a 15* for an LPR, is there someone out there that does/would be able to do this?

Jaan
05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I have also been considering tapping a 15* for an LPR, is there someone out there that does/would be able to do this?Any machine shop ... even a lousy one ... can do that. The only tricky part would be to drill the hole at an angle, asuming that you would want the LPR to stick out the front, and that you would want it parallel to the body/barrel. That's only tricky if the only tools you have are a cordless drill and a handful of dull bits lol.

kopfjaeger
05-22-2006, 09:50 PM
You could put an elbow on one of the tapped holes on the 15 degree adaptor and connect the LPR to that. :) (IF it is tapped on both sides) It might save you some work and $.

shorty24
05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Any machine shop ... even a lousy one ... can do that. The only tricky part would be to drill the hole at an angle, asuming that you would want the LPR to stick out the front, and that you would want it parallel to the body/barrel. That's only tricky if the only tools you have are a cordless drill and a handful of dull bits lol.

Yeah, I realized it would be fairly easy, getting it mounted parallel to the body was my concern. So assuming I send it to any *fairly* competent machine shop, I could get this done?

/end thread hijack...

Chronobreak
05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
doc no longer makes them

they are/were $ i think mine was nearly $40 for a double tapped asa

tms/rogues are just as good come double tapped if i recall, and are cheaper

as much as i like doc for his quality custom work and even though he did start making them long before shawn i say go with TMS/rogue

shorty24
05-22-2006, 10:37 PM
You could put an elbow on one of the tapped holes on the 15 degree adaptor and connect the LPR to that. :) (IF it is tapped on both sides) It might save you some work and $.

That was my "plan B" :rolleyes:

Jaan
05-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I realized it would be fairly easy, getting it mounted parallel to the body was my concern. So assuming I send it to any *fairly* competent machine shop, I could get this done?

/end thread hijack...Yup. The only resistance you would find is from larger production machine shops that don't want to do small jobs. You might have to find one of those "guy in his barn" shops. If I still had access to an old Bridgeport milling machine I'd do it for you.

PnueMagger
05-23-2006, 05:46 AM
If you can find a buddy with a drill press, you could do it yourself. The drill and taps are fairly inexpensive. A local high school shop would already have the drills and taps probably.

And if your truly adventurous, a nice DeWalt hand drill and vice would work great. (i did it this way once.)

ClassicMagger
05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey:

Two MAJOR differences in the two.

Doc's will NOT fit on an RT Style Rail EVEN with an RPG flat top adapter. The mounting hole on Doc's isn't centered. It makes the 15 degree AT BEST a half a centimetere shorter.

Rogue's WILL fit on an RT Style rail with the RPG flat top adapter.

I find thats the only main difference. Also some of doc's were only single tapped.

-ClassicMagger

rkjunior303
05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I bet someone like Luke could tap it for you, as well.

captian pinky
05-23-2006, 04:31 PM
what u should do is tap it on the back and run it stright down be hind the drip and run it paralel to the grip on the asa

Jaan
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
If you can find a buddy with a drill press, you could do it yourself. The drill and taps are fairly inexpensive. A local high school shop would already have the drills and taps probably.

And if your truly adventurous, a nice DeWalt hand drill and vice would work great. (i did it this way once.)Everything you're saying is true, and if you want to tap the side of a 15* ASA that would work fine, or if you have a regular ASA and not an angled one since in both those example the holes just have to be drilled square.

The problem you run into is if you want to make the hole in the front of the angled ASA, and want it to be drilled at a 15 degree angle so whatever you screw into it, in this case a regulator, would be parallel to the body, rail, and barrel. I really can't see this done with a hand drill.

To make an accurate hole you'll need the next level up from a drill press, which would be a simple milling machine like a Bridgeport, where you can angle the head. Then all you have to do is clamp it into a V block, and that's basically it.

Jaan
05-24-2006, 01:33 AM
Just use an angle vise. Itll be easier and cheaper for this simple task.True enough ... I was just thinking that it would be cheaper to bring it to someone, especially if this was the only time you would need something like this done. However, now that I'm looking there is an angle vise on sale at Harbor Freight for $15. It's Chinese prison labor grade I'm sure, but even if you only use it this one time it would be worth it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=544

I guess I think of a Bridgeport as just a glorified drill press lol.

doc_Zox
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
http://www.dbnpaintball.com/reg-acc.htm

20 bucks

Universal 15 Degree ASA extension. Adjustable for front or back or even the sides! Locking collar keeps it where you want. Has standard ASA input and output. High flowing for no air restrictions.

doc_Zox
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
it does kinda look like a broken weenie