PDA

View Full Version : Mag Body Shells

nixcamic
05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I was drooling around the deadlywind page looking at the (sadly discontinued) karta/dallara bodies when I noticed that they also make ion body shells. So my question is, why are there no automag body shells? There would be none of the tolerance issues that there are when making a fully custom body, as you would still have a ule body inside, but you could still have sweet milling on the outside.

nixcamic

RoamingStorm
05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
you think of a way to add metal to a ULE body without compromising the tolerances and then well listen

nixcamic
05-23-2006, 06:55 PM
you think of a way to add metal to a ULE body without compromising the tolerances and then well listen

Huh? I mean, ule rt seems to have a metal sight added on, and that doesnt compromise the tolerances. I'm not talking about welding something on to the body, I'm saying have something that slides over a stock, unmodified ule body, and attaches to the rail, or holds on with friction. There is no way covering the body should compromise the tolerances, and I never suggested modifying the body.

Cow hunter
05-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Huh? I mean, ule rt seems to have a metal scope added on, and that doesnt compromise the tolerances. I'm not talking about welding something on to the body, I'm saying have something that slides over a stock, unmodified ule body, and attaches to the rail, or holds on with friction. There is no way covering the body should compromise the tolerances, and I never suggested modifying the body.
well sure, itd just screw into the holes on the rail (if it has any) i think there wouldnt be much of a demand though because people want LESS not more weight and a lower profile, i know it would add hardly anything but it just doesnt seem logical to add to the ULE when it already looks so good

nixcamic
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
well sure, itd just screw into the holes on the rail (if it has any) i think there wouldnt be much of a demand though because people want LESS not more weight and a lower profile, i know it would add hardly anything but it just doesnt seem logical to add to the ULE when it already looks so good

Well, I was thinking more lock into the top part of the rail that sticks out from the marker because that would prolly look better, but thats the general idea :). And don't karta bodies weigh more than normal ule bodies?

master_alexander
05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
if you did do that, it would not flow well with the rail and there would have to be a new rail made or something, and it would also add weight and complicate things.

but it would be kinda cool besides a few factors.

nixcamic
05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the main point was coolness, there really isnt any function to it (like so many other things in life :) ) And it would probably have a limited market, but I still like the idea of it :)

master_alexander
05-23-2006, 09:39 PM
if it was a one time custom job, that would be sweet. it would end up kinda like the space mags.

BigEvil
05-24-2006, 06:59 AM
This could probably be done pretty easily. Take a ULE body (Or slug if you can get one), turn it down as much as possible, and throw an ION like shell over it. You could aslo use an old stainless body if having eyes wasnt an issue.

Oh, and I think the Karta's and Dallara's are discontinued because there are not more AGD slug bodies to make them from. :-(

shartley
05-24-2006, 07:07 AM
I think that is a fantastic idea. Unlike what another member posted, not all players want less weight. Do folks think the new Tac-1 body is designed for less weight? It is actually designed for MORE weight, which is what happens when you start slapping scopes, flashlights, etc. onto them for MilSim play.

I believe that a body cover designed in a similar way would be just the thing for folks who have the old stainless bodies but want to upgrade to a MilSim marker without having to pay for a whole new Tac-1 body. In fact I know just the guy to do this…. I will discuss it with him and get back to you all.

Arstron
05-24-2006, 08:24 AM
BAH! Its been done (once) before with the Dragon Mag. Just make the body kit attach like the old classic sight rails (slides on the body and secures with a set screw). Then you can have somthing like this: :dance:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192180&highlight=dragon

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/fatcatpaintball/MVC-032S.jpg

nixcamic
05-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Thats a sweet marker, and pretty much exactly what I was thinking about, except with a matching rail, and going back over the valve partialy. Anyone know what was used as a base to sculpt it out of?

Arstron
05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I belive 2 sight rails like this one was used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOMAG-MINIMAG-VERTICAL-ADAPTOR-SIGHT-RAIL-NEW_W0QQitemZ3684112132QQcategoryZ36285QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem