PDA

View Full Version : calling all tinkerers about classic rt's....

jmulhollen
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
i sent off an e-mail to luke so untill he gets back to me i wanted to check with all of you. ive basically figured ou that since it would be tons of work to get my classic rt to fit the vertical feed body i have on my minimag i will change the body on the rt simply to be a vertical feed.

anyone done this? from lukes site it seams like he basically makes a new feednack out of ? and welds it on. i have no problem with tig or mig welding(had years experience building cages for troph trucks) but since ive never seen a stock body have the feednack break off wouldnt silver soldering be strong enough?

just curious if anyones done this themselves or if they just send their bodies off to shops to do or what? i just am trying to avoid paying hundreds of dollars simply to get a vertial feed.

thanks in advance for any ideas you guys may have

captian pinky
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
it is supposed to be i had my powerfeed brake off on my poxer feed mag that was silver soldered on but it should be

luke
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
i sent off an e-mail to luke so untill he gets back to me i wanted to check with all of you. ive basically figured ou that since it would be tons of work to get my classic rt to fit the vertical feed body i have on my minimag i will change the body on the rt simply to be a vertical feed.

anyone done this? from lukes site it seams like he basically makes a new feednack out of ? and welds it on. i have no problem with tig or mig welding(had years experience building cages for troph trucks) but since ive never seen a stock body have the feednack break off wouldnt silver soldering be strong enough?

just curious if anyones done this themselves or if they just send their bodies off to shops to do or what? i just am trying to avoid paying hundreds of dollars simply to get a vertial feed.

thanks in advance for any ideas you guys may have

I've had trouble since yesterday with my yahoo account. When I try to respond to an Email I get an error page. I put up a thread in "Friendly Corner" looking for you; I just got lucky when I saw this thread. :)

I make the new feed tubes from stainless and TIG weld them on. Silver solder is what AGD uses to attach the feed tubes on, but I HAVE seen people break them off. TIG welding probably takes longer to do, but I think it's worth the trouble. I just didn't want to worry about my tubes getting knocked of and having to do warranty work.

If you are considering doing a tube yourself (whether you want to purchase one of mine or make your own) I would not suggest MIG welding the tube on, because it will make a mess inside the tube and it will put a great deal of heat on the body. And, if you TIG weld it on make sure to purge the body with Argon. Even doing so it is all but impossible to weld the new tube on without having to clean up the inside of the body when you are done. Remember that you must be able to fit a barrel inside the body when you're done, and they are pretty tight anyway. I had to make special tools to reach back in the body to clean the area up around the weld.

I actually suggest you DO silver solder it if you choose to do it yourself because it is a little tricky to get it right if you weld the tube on.

In regard to the "elbow" a Spyder feed neck will slide over the feed neck on this mod, and there are a "gazillion" to choose from...

BTW, in your email you said the AO link didn't work, what were you talking about?

cowboy_00
05-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey luke, have you ever had the problem of warping the body when you weld it? ive heard thats why most just SS.

luke
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Hey luke, have you ever had the problem of warping the body when you weld it? ive heard thats why most just SS.

Sure it can happen if you don't know what you’re doing, hence my post above. TIG welding generates the least amount of heat to the area surrounding the weld compared to other techniques.

That is not to say that you can “just” weld the tube on and be done with it. I have developed a technique for doing the conversions that work well and are forgiving to the bodies.

If you think that I just run a bead around the tube and sand it down, you couldn’t be farther off base. To be honest, the time it takes me to do these I should be charging 3x what I am for the mod, but I have my reasons for not…

jmulhollen
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
sweet....anyway..i dont know if you saw my last e-mail...but im just going to have you do the work since it looks so damn clean....

when i said AO link i meant on the contact page of your website it says" if you are acurrent ao member you can contact me on the forums by clicking here" but the link doesnt even open up a blank page...you cant click on the icon...

back to the gun....what do you mean the spyder feedneck fits over most feedneck? you mean the hopper feedneck?

thanks and if you are using a different account you can e-mail me at jmulhollen@gmail.com with any info or a phone number or something.

or pm me here if its easier.

thanks a lot.

and forget about the website link...im just lazy and didnt realize before that you have to click toward the end of the sentance...not right in the middle.

luke
05-29-2006, 10:14 AM
when i said AO link i meant on the contact page of your website it says" if you are acurrent ao member you can contact me on the forums by clicking here" but the link doesnt even open up a blank page...you cant click on the icon...

Humm, strange, i just checked it and it works...

back to the gun....what do you mean the spyder feedneck fits over most feedneck? you mean the hopper feedneck?

http://images.actionvillage.com/inc/images/large/011-235-0006.jpg?qlt=100&cell=175,300&cvt=jpg

I don't know much about Spyders, but there seems to be two types of feed necks for them. One is a "bolt on" and one is a "slip on". You will want the slip on type that uses set screws to secure the feed neck to the feed tube.

thanks and if you are using a different account you can e-mail me at jmulhollen@gmail.com with any info or a phone number or something.
or pm me here if its easier.

jmulhollen
05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
siiiiiiiiiiick

thanks a lot..ill shoot a pm once i figure out everyhting im going to have you do.

luke
05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Sounds good... :)