PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Repair

Skittle
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey guys, I didnt know if this should be in the WTB forum or whatever, but do any of you repair laptops?

I found a cheap hp laptop, but I may need windows to be reinstalled and a HD wipe, I can do all that myself but I also need a few of the keys replaced... might as well do it all at once.

Can any of you replace some keys on the laptop?

thanks!

robnix
05-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, I didnt know if this should be in the WTB forum or whatever, but do any of you repair laptops?

I found a cheap hp laptop, but I may need windows to be reinstalled and a HD wipe, I can do all that myself but I also need a few of the keys replaced... might as well do it all at once.

Can any of you replace some keys on the laptop?

thanks!

It's easier and cheaper to replace the whole keyboard, all the laptops I've done this for don't actually sell the individual keys anyway. Take the model number, and google for replacement keyboards. It's usually not much more than a few screws on the bottom of then laptop, pull the keyboard, disconnect it, and swap in the new one. You should also be able to get the service manual from HP that will show you exactly how to do this.

Skittle
05-29-2006, 01:10 PM
so its easy and cheap? fool proof?

im not comp. un-literate ;) by any means, but I dont want to screw it up...

BigEvil
05-29-2006, 01:31 PM

Its not too hard, dont worry. Finding the correct new one can be harder than the actual R & R of the old one.

robnix
05-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Post the model number for me and I'll help find the parts.

Skittle
05-30-2006, 07:56 AM
hp pavillion zv5000

also it seems to be missing the cover on the disk drive. the part with the little door and the button. I can press the button thats directly on the drive though... if you know what I mean...

robnix
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
hp pavillion zv5000

also it seems to be missing the cover on the disk drive. the part with the little door and the button. I can press the button thats directly on the drive though... if you know what I mean...

Your best best is Ebay for the keyboard, you can get one for about $30.00. I hope the search link works, if not, search for "zv5000 keyboard", there's a bunch. I'd look through these listings for people that are parting out laptops and ask about any other parts you may need.

Link (http://search.ebay.com/zv5000-keyboard_W0QQfromZR40)

Skittle
05-30-2006, 09:05 AM
think that the zv5000 is worth the 200 bucks im paying for it? well... 250-300 when im done.

robnix
05-30-2006, 09:19 AM
think that the zv5000 is worth the 200 bucks im paying for it? well... 250-300 when im done.

Sure, depending on the specs, but it sound like a decent deal. They should go for about $400-$500 or so right now used, and in good shape.

Skittle
05-30-2006, 09:24 AM
awesome, im exited. i need it for college and sense I run this pawn shop i can find sweet deals. thanks!

btw, my sis accidentally screwed up the HD on my pc. when I booted it it says no OS found. I tried to boot and reinstall windows but I had to do FCDisk I believe... It said it couldnt work without being formatted but it couldnt format when I tried to something about the HD not being there. Is there anyway someone (pc tech or something) could boot that up and get my old files off of it? I have already installed a new HD and os into the other pc...

robnix
05-30-2006, 09:45 AM
awesome, im exited. i need it for college and sense I run this pawn shop i can find sweet deals. thanks!

btw, my sis accidentally screwed up the HD on my pc. when I booted it it says no OS found. I tried to boot and reinstall windows but I had to do FCDisk I believe... It said it couldnt work without being formatted but it couldnt format when I tried to something about the HD not being there. Is there anyway someone (pc tech or something) could boot that up and get my old files off of it? I have already installed a new HD and os into the other pc...

Yes, as long as you haven't formatted it more than one or two times, and the BIOS sees the drive, there shouldn't be much issue getting your files. The best way to do this, is to attach the drive to a working PC, and boot with a floppy or cd that has drive recovery software on it. There's some inexpensive software here that will let you demo before buying to see if there's anything to recover.

http://www.file-recovery.net/
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

If you're worried about doing this and don't feel comfortable with it, PM me and we can discuss arrangements to do the work if you want. I'll be much cheaper than any commercial or local service you'll find, plus, if there's nothing that can be done, I won't charge you anything. I've been doing data recovery for about 6 years now as part of my job.

Skittle
05-30-2006, 09:59 AM
sounds good, pmed you.

I know what you mean about being expensive, I called a place and the minimum was 65 bucks and they said they didnt know if they could fix it or not but either way I had to pay that much.

skriptal
05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
sounds good, pmed you.

I know what you mean about being expensive, I called a place and the minimum was 65 bucks and they said they didnt know if they could fix it or not but either way I had to pay that much.

You can always use a bootable HD recovery CD like Hiren's Boot CD Link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html)
It has many great programs to recover everything, I always use Active Partition Recovery 3.0 to recover deleted partitions.

Id go a little more in depth, but the sabers are playing so i have to stop typing.

robnix
05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
You can always use a bootable HD recovery CD like Hiren's Boot CD Link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html)
It has many great programs to recover everything, I always use Active Partition Recovery 3.0 to recover deleted partitions.

Id go a little more in depth, but the sabers are playing so i have to stop typing.

The CD you're talking about is also illegal.

Army
05-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Gotta love the cheap! I hauled a load of trash to the dump on Sunday. Sitting on top of the pile of Haz-Mat electronics, was a Presario 1200. Power cord and all. Tiny crack at the hinge, headphone jack missing, and a few hardly noticable scratches on the case. Took it home, plugged it in, and up pops Windows ME in clear color. Found out quick that the "A" button does not work.

I dumped XP on it that night, cleared all the folders of pictures...no, none of those ones...and music files (Beck...sheesh), got rid of all the useless Microsoft programs nobody ever uses, and all the AOL crap.

Battery check proved it's good for over two hours still.

Already ordered a new keyboard, and RAM upgrade is soon to be. The small crack was filled with epoxy today, and is good as new. All in all, it will be a $70 laptop!

Never had a laptop before, and with the little computer stuff I do, this will work for me perfectly.

Skittle
05-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Gotta love the cheap! I hauled a load of trash to the dump on Sunday. Sitting on top of the pile of Haz-Mat electronics, was a Presario 1200. Power cord and all. Tiny crack at the hinge, headphone jack missing, and a few hardly noticable scratches on the case. Took it home, plugged it in, and up pops Windows ME in clear color. Found out quick that the "A" button does not work.

I dumped XP on it that night, cleared all the folders of pictures...no, none of those ones...and music files (Beck...sheesh), got rid of all the useless Microsoft programs nobody ever uses, and all the AOL crap.

Already ordered a new keyboard, and RAM upgrade is soon to be. The small crack was filled with epoxy today, and is good as new. All in all, it will be a $70 laptop!

Never had a laptop before, and with the little computer stuff I do, this will work for me perfectly.

*high five*

robnix
05-31-2006, 09:04 AM

Nice job! It amazes me sometimes what people will throw out, and more so than that, how people will toss hard drives out without properly wiping them first.