PDA

View Full Version : Mag presence on the scenario field

punkncat
05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I was amazed this last weekend at Mout/Blanding at the amount of Mags I saw on the field. Much more than I can remember seeing anywhere other than an AO day.

Numerous Tacs, Emags/tacs, at least two warp fed mags, and quite a few classics and micromags.

After seeing this I can't believe that AGD is going anywhere. There is definatly a good deal of people who belive in mags again.

Cow hunter
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
they are far and few, but the mags are definetly around. locally i run into a few people every couple weeks shooting mags, some the latest and greatest, and others that havent changed in years

c0rpse
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
We have local scenario games, and many people show up with emags. When we had our first game I was very surprised by the amount.

BigEvil
05-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Dont forget, Tac-1's and Etacs are high-end scenario guns. Any serious scenario player, and there are alot of them out there, will give consideration to moving up from the Tippmans at some point.

Battlewear
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately up here (Edmonton, Alberta) it seems the mag is almost dead.. I say almost because I think I am maybe 1 of 3 or 4 in the city, and we seem to be busting at the seams as of late with players..

Its funny, only a few old guys (like my self) seem to remember the mag.. I walked in to a store the other day looking for a new gauge to mount on the drop asa and the guy asked what type of marker, I told him a mag.. He gave me that Puzzled Tilted head dog look.. I told him that it was may by AGD, the Automag.. He just shook his head and said never heard of it.. Even sadder the owner of the store says he wont carry any mag stuff.. Thats ok I guess, I like buying from AO'ers any ways :)

Lee
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
mayberry marauders were all shooting tac ones.

i saw two micro emags and my buddy (11bravo) was shooting his hypermag. i saw a couple classics as well. nice representation all in all.

Steelrat
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Its interesting to hear you say that. Ive been told that exact same thing in MANY shops.

No loss. The product presentation in most shops I've seen has sucked. I much prefer the way products are presented on the AO vendor's webpages.

Jim888
05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
a few weeks ago up at waynes world I saw 2-3 nice mags (besides mine) 1 classic one x-valve and one E-mag

of course there were almost 500 people there...so 4 out of 500 not even 1% :cry:

Steelrat
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
While I totally agree with you, it still doesnt help AGD. Every single one of those shops is an individual sales force.

Its better to have product recognition with a poor presentation, than none at all because nobody will carry your product.

I agree, but it's not going to happen unless there is a dramamtic shift in public opinion regarding mags.

autopimp187
05-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Yeah i went out to my local field and got a lot of attention for my hypermag. people wanted to see it and hold, they keept telling me stories of when they had their mag, and wish they still had it. All talked about how reliable it is, and wanted to shoot it. I liked the attention i got "Old School" is what they were calling me by the end of the day. Because i had a mag, and still kicked a$$

usagi_tetsu
05-31-2006, 05:49 AM
My lovely lady had her Classic out the last time we went a'flingin' and one of the refs (who's still probably in high school... *feh* whippersnappers) commented on "hey, nice old mag, don't see those around much anymore". Of course, I was carrying one of my Tribals and even wearing a Tribal logo'd shirt, and he said "nice Impy". Guess you can't win everything.

But for a solid, compact, lightweight, and above all, reliable mechanical, you can't go too far wrong with a 'mag. Yeah, I've got a M98 Custom you could run over with a truck and it wouldn't break down or anything, but that beast is as heavy as its nickname (Anvil, as in "reliable as a...") compared to even a Classic .68 with steel body and valve.

BigEvil
05-31-2006, 06:00 AM
True. I believe that can and does start with dealers pushing the product.

I think Tac-Ones are a good example of this.

AS much as I love them, AGD doesnt help the situation. Time to loose the 90's mentality, and start giving dealers something that people want to buy.

Yes, TAC's are great guns, but im sure there are plenty of hard-core scenario players who avoid them just because you cannoy even mount a stock on it like the Tippies.

And also consider that teh TAC line is much more sellable than the other AGD guns. Try to convince someone to buy an electro without eyes these day. Or firing modes.

Most markers have a pretty good aftermarket upgrade path. A store owner has a decent shot at selling an Ion owner some sort of performance up grade. The best they could do in an AGD case, is try to sell a ULE body, (Which is SHOULD already have) or a ULT trigger kit, then have to spend 3 hours trying to explain how to get it to work.

BigEvil
05-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Mags in general have a good aftermarket path, how many other guns have 6 or 7 differnt trigger frame options?

I was mostly reffering to the scenario stuff. Which, by their own admission, is where they are supposed to be focusing. Your rails at least offer the hope of someone coming up with a decent mount for one of those ar-15 type stocks. For a scenario gun, a rail like that should be coming out of the factory with it.

I guess I sound like im complaining, which Im not. Im the type of person that sees an oportunity to make something for myself. Yes, most mag owners want one-of-a-kind. I think AGD should be considering this, since they basically have no hope whatsoever to regain a prominent share of the market anymore.

Little_Ho
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi there,

i was there and i saw a few on the Field but as i went thru the Pics on PBJ I was amazed how many are there.

I was on teh Red Team with a WarpFeed Mag. After going thru over 1000 Pics i got tierd but I will look thru again.

my .02 cents

Little_Ho

11 Bravo
05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
^^^ There were all kinds of Mags on the Blue team. Thats probably why we won. :)

Little_Ho
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
i think i remember i had one and my Friend had one thats all i saw on the Red Team.

slasherdan
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
well to be honest I think the Mags are the best high end, out of the box markers out there.

Meaning you can buy it ... gas it up .... not have to chrono it or anything and there you go.

Honestly you don't need ACE .... I mean the gun doesn't chop balls anyway .... well at least mine don't .... hell it doesn't even damage my tongue or finger ...

Once you get used to the maintaince of the mechanical markers, all your part can be found in a hardware store.

dahoeb
05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
ehhh....
to be honost with you guys, i don't even want mags to become mainstream again. i don't want my precious mag to become just another flavor of the month to some 12 yearold with mom's credit card. mags are for people who think paintball is more than just some fashion statement.
thats just my .02

robnix
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
As I read through this I see the comments I always hear when I go out playing with my friend that introduced me to mags, along with the ones I hear now that I have one of my own.

Comments I've heard regarding my friends 68 classic:

What's that?
Oh yeah, I've heard of those, never seen one though.
Is it fast?
I haven't seen one of those for ages, I didn't think anyone was shooting those anymore.
You should get something lighter.
You should get something newer.
Isn't that heavy?

Comments I've heard since I've had my emag:

That's an emag? I've never seen one of those, Where'd you find it?
How many BPS can it shoot?
Why are you still shooting that thing? You should trade it for <insert marker du jour> and get something faster and lighter.
Does it have eyes? followed by - Doesn't it chop a lot then? followed by - Can you add eyes?
Can I hold it?
Can I shoot it?
I've always wanted one of those.
Is that company still around?

and my favorite by a ref -

Holy **** that markers fast! I didn't think those things could keep up any more! (thanks paul!)

I think in the four or so years I've been playing in the area, that I've been out once and seen mags other than mine and my friends, and that was just two guys playing with some sweet RT pros IIRC a few years back. Lot's of tippys and cockers, no mags though.

What's fun though, is being the object of attention at the beginning and end of every day for playing with that 'Outdated, outmoded, outeverythinged marker that by EOD, everyone is thinking about buying'. I hear at least one person tell my buddy with the Classic 68 "dude, that thing rocks!" at the end of each day.

Lee
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
guess who?...smiley face jersey/gray haired old guy.....

not shooting my emag though, went pump for this game. just thought it was cool that a fellow ao'er just happened to take a pic.

http://www.pbjunkie.com/gallery/files/2/IMG_5901.jpg

Steelrat
05-31-2006, 04:28 PM
well to be honest I think the Mags are the best high end, out of the box markers out there.

Meaning you can buy it ... gas it up .... not have to chrono it or anything and there you go.

Honestly you don't need ACE .... I mean the gun doesn't chop balls anyway .... well at least mine don't .... hell it doesn't even damage my tongue or finger ...

Once you get used to the maintaince of the mechanical markers, all your part can be found in a hardware store.

Mags are good, but they really aren't the best high-end out-of-the-box marker out there. People running around chanting that mantra all the time just end up making mag fans look like a bunch of luddites. I've owned plenty of mags, and played with mag users for years, and have seen some (certainly not all) stock markers perform consistently better than mags. As for Level 10 versus ace, ace is generally superior, since level 10 resets the bolt when tripped, forcing you to pull the trigger again. Also, I have noticed that level 10 is not as effective at stopping choppage as ACE, and can sometimes be very finicky, with random leaks and such.

Mags are excellent markers, and using one certainly sets you apart from the crowd. Embrace the things that make mags unique and good, but don't fool yourself into believing that they are the best markers ever made.

slasherdan
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Mags are good, but they really aren't the best high-end out-of-the-box marker out there. People running around chanting that mantra all the time just end up making mag fans look like a bunch of luddites. I've owned plenty of mags, and played with mag users for years, and have seen some (certainly not all) stock markers perform consistently better than mags. As for Level 10 versus ace, ace is generally superior, since level 10 resets the bolt when tripped, forcing you to pull the trigger again. Also, I have noticed that level 10 is not as effective at stopping choppage as ACE, and can sometimes be very finicky, with random leaks and such.

Mags are excellent markers, and using one certainly sets you apart from the crowd. Embrace the things that make mags unique and good, but don't fool yourself into believing that they are the best markers ever made.

Hey Rat, sorry I guess I didn't put in there that I've owned and shot just about everything out there .... with the exception of some of the newer $1300 markers out there.

Yeah my comment is out of personal preference because I've had no problems with my Mags and some problems with others.

I guess I'm just talking from my experience with everything and that it isn't the end all, be all fact. Just a statement from my experiences.

Hell .... to be honest I think the best marker out there is the Phantom .... but I was talking about Mags here. :-)

ABTOCMEPTb
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
When I play indoor I use Cyborgs and mags are always in my bag as back-up. But when I am going outside for some wo0dsball action I use mags as my primary and keep cyborgs as back-up.

I own these markers for a very simple reason. Very low maintanace and it is very easy to clean them.

I also like xmag's "double protection". ACE and level 10 make me feel comfortable.

Steelrat
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Its not much different than those AKA zealots. ;)

You'd probably be surprised to see what I just bought http://imgs.pbnation.com/smilies/dodgy.gif

As for ACE versus Level 10, level 10 has a reset that you need to wait for before being able to pull again and get a shot. If you are walking a trigger on an emag, and level 10 trips, I have found it disrupts my ability to sustain the ROF I was at. ACE is immediately available to fire again, and is usually so transparent that the disruption in firing goes un-noticed.

Steelrat
05-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, I saw you looking for a Fireblade trigger, so maybe an XMag or SFL? Did you get a good deal?

Me, purchase another e-mag or x-mag? I can not believe that something like that would happen...

/returns to searching for an emag thrasher rail

tyrion2323
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
No loss. The product presentation in most shops I've seen has sucked. I much prefer the way products are presented on the AO vendor's webpages.

Agreed,
The only reason I buy from my local field is cause I know the guys, and they give me decent prices on stuff. Other than that, the internet has vastly wiped out any desire to trek to a poorly stocked paintball store and haggle with the owners!

coyote
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I palyed a TAW Scenario in Orroville Californaia a couple of weeks ago.

I saw dozens of mags. The are 5 on my team that shoot some form of mag.

I am seeing them more often at the rec field too.

SHAG
05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi,

The last com field I played at I gave my uncle my minimag for the day. He was the only guy out there with one. I set him up with a 10 in DYE barrel, VL2000 and Pre Set HPA. Not one chop or problem all day. He was able to take people out with ease and enjoyed shooting it. Some of the players asked him what kind of gun it was. He said it was in nephew's old gun that worked very well. Ironically, I never felt outgunned with a mag in the woodsball arena. Even with the faster tippmanns and other higher BPS markers.

Later,
ALan

punkncat
05-31-2006, 08:53 PM
i think i remember i had one and my Friend had one thats all i saw on the Red Team.

Was yours the ULE'ed red one?

And can you link me the pics on "PBJ"?

Little_Ho
06-01-2006, 10:41 PM
No I have an all Black Chimera Framed ULE Warp Mag.
My Friend has a Purple Warp Mag with Single Trigger I build that on the last Tripp to TN.

And Sorry about that PBJ it means PBJunkie.com

see here:
www.PBJunkie.com

and here is the actuall Picture Thread:

http://www.pbjunkie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18006

and here the Picture Gallery there are about 1000 Pics online:

http://www.pbjunkie.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=38

There are some very Good shoots on there PBJunkie is doing a Great Job and covering alot of Games. Especialty from MPP Games.

Little_Ho

m-a-r-k-7
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
My minimag is the only mag that gets used near me. There's a 68 sitting in a box in a friends room, that belongs to another friend. He;s trying to sell it for him, but he wants $240 for an almost stock 68 but with minimag grips and an 11' progressive barrel.