PDA

View Full Version : Need some pump info

BerSerK
05-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi,

I never owned a pump marker but I'm very interested in them and in that style of play so I have a few questions. I already own a semi-auto mech mag from Rogue so I already have everything needed to play.

What's the cheapest route and best route to be able to play pump ?

I saw some mech cockers with pump kit go for around 200 but I must say that the CCI pumps look awesome, is there any other brand I should look for ? There's also the Tippmann C3, is that a good option ?

Should I go with a 12 grams air setup or mini CO2 tank or just hook up my 68/3000 with a remote ?

Let's hear with pump players have to say!
Thanks

paintman1234
05-30-2006, 09:43 AM
I would start with a pump cocker, there a little easier to transition from smei to pump because the feeling of the gun is similar to a semi besides the front block...

I would also star out with constent air on it.

I started out playing with a phantom and could not get used to holding it without a tank so if you do go that way i would suggest a stock

Zygote
05-30-2006, 09:52 AM
It really depends on how you like to play, which you may not even know until you try out a few options.

I'd recommend a black phantom vsc. If you decide you want to use a hopper you can then get a left or right feed body cheaply and quickly since black is the most common color and will likely be in stock anywhere. You could run 12 grams (mid-30 shots), a 3.5 oz co2 tank (@250-300 shots), a bottomline with a larger co2 tank or hpa. If you don't use a bottomline I'd also recommend a stock.

Basically, phantoms are the most versatile if you decide to make an adjustment to your setup later on.

BerSerK
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
if I want to use a feed tube I need a left or right feed body, I can't use it with a center feed ?

Zygote
05-30-2006, 10:12 AM
If by feed tube you mean a horizontal stock feed, that's what comes on the vsc. No extra bodies required.

You can see different setups here:
http://whitewolfairsmithing.com/phantom.htm

BerSerK
05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
can I buy a gravity feed and later change it to stock class ? is it just changing the feed assy or you have to change a lot of parts ?

cdacda13
05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I would start out with a cheap pump. A trracer, maverick, hornet. Great starter pump guns. You get to see if you like pump play. And they're cheap as hell.

Zygote
05-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes you can.

Full SC breech $36.00
Vert Air kit $40.00
12 gram charger $18.70

Those parts would turn a gravity feed backbottle into a vertical stock class w/ 12 gram changer. You could omit the vert air kit and run the 12 gram changer off the backbottle valve for better efficiency. No matter what phantom you start with, its not too difficult to change it to another configuration.

If you want to do that, definitely get a standard color like black or silver. If you want a custom ano, you should get everything you might need now so it will all match.

You can see different configurations in the Phog gallery:
http://www.bunkerboyz.com/phog/showthread.php?t=12

BerSerK
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I might try to get a hornet, it's a good idea and it's cheap.

Another question, the air input for the marker seems to be in the back, is there any pressure limit to respect or you can just run a direct line from a CO2 or HPA tank like a mag ?

thanks for your inputs, keep them coming! :)

peewee
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
all kinds of info, the AO of the pump world. I'm a cci guy but the aci pumps are a good choice for a starter. Just can be a pain to find parts for at the moment aci/racegun havent got fully up to speed yet asince the merger.

http://www.bunkerboyz.com/phog/index.php

Jeffy-CanCon
05-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I might try to get a hornet, it's a good idea and it's cheap.

Another question, the air input for the marker seems to be in the back, is there any pressure limit to respect or you can just run a direct line from a CO2 or HPA tank like a mag ?

thanks for your inputs, keep them coming! :)

Yes, you can use exactly the same air source as your Mag on any pump gun (except the Tippman C3, of course). If you plan to run remote, a shoulder stock will be a good idea, because with the pump-motion it is harder to stay on target without bracing the marker against your shoulder.

---

Phantoms are great markers, and very versatile, but I would suggest that you not plan on jumping right from semi to stock-class. It's a big change, and stock-play is not for everyone. So if you buy a Phantom, get the gravity/hopper feed, and regular ASA.

paintman1234
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
yeah phantoms are great but i would definatly pratice shooting it a bunch before you actually play to get a feel for it (with your mask on) or get a stock

snipers are versitile as well and you can get some fairly cheap ones, and if you dont like it you can buy a front block and have a semi...

ttink
05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Ive got a Trracer i could sell you for $40 ish. Here (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197667) is my sale thread. Let me know if you are interested.

RiTZ509
05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
peewee beat me to it. For all your questions regarding any kind of pump information, the place to go is the Phog.

The only problem with going with a Trracer/Maverick/Hornet is finding replacement parts for it. Short of having them specially milled, I have not been able to find anything. That is the main reason that I went to a Phantom, parts readily available, and Mike at CCI, ships them out fast too.

If you decide to get one, check out the Phog, there are a couple retailers there who sell them at very good prices, and will get them to you fairly fast.

Hope to see you there!!

BerSerK
05-30-2006, 07:57 PM
thanks all, I registered on the phog, great ressource!

and thanks for the tracer offer but I like to take a lot of time for research and really make my mind about the subject before buying anything. :headbang: