PDA

View Full Version : How many times can you Re-anno a gun?

PnueMagger
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Before you start to screw up the tolerance?
I realize this may be marker specific, but I'm talking about Barrels/ASA/BODY & Rail combos... the whole nine yards.

MoeMag
05-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Good question. :confused:

Anyone???

68magOwner
05-30-2006, 11:02 PM
i dont think anyone had knowingly done it yet

Jaan
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
From what I've seen, when you anno anything it generally grows out .0005" and the color goes into the metal the same amount. Keep in mind that if you're talking about a round part, like a barrel it will add up.

Now, when you strip the anno, you'll go down at least half a thousandth, .0005" into the metal before you can re-anno. You'll loose a thousandth of an inch, .001" from what the measurement was when it was anodised. And of course, if you were talking about a barrel, you would loose 2 thousandths of an inch from the inside and also the outside dimension.

So, say you have a barrel that has an outside dimension of .750" before anno. When you anodize it will measure .751". When you strip it it will measure .749". When you anno again it will measure .750". Strip it; .748". Anno; .749" and so on and so forth.

Ydna
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Personally I wouldn't recommend having a marker REanodized more than once. You might be able to get away with it if the ano shop is experienced and can hold the tolerances well, but if not you may end up with some problems. The process of stripping the ano and consequent buffing removes some thickness as he mentioned above, which then has to be made up in the new ano layers (or at least, shoudl be made up, again if the shop is experienced).

A lot of ano shops will have hesitation against reanodizing a marker twice, and some even say there's no warranted guarantee on the success of it. It makes the idea sound kindof iffy if you ask me...lol

REDRT
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
As many times as it takes to get it right.

MicroMiniMe
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
There's a few SFL Emags that I think have been anodized 3 times total. So re-anodized twice.
Load and Law had the original ano that looked hellacious, and they both reanodized them. Then after they were sold the new owners anodized them again. I want to say the 'Infection SFL' is what was Law's SFL.