PDA

View Full Version : buying a new crotch rocket

oneworld
05-31-2006, 12:49 PM
im picking up a 2000 kawasaki zx-6r ninja my friend bought it a week ago and wrecked it 2 days ago sucks for him but good for me. now hes scuurred of it and will sell it for 1k. it needs new plastics a new radiator new bars. body is straight still engine starts right up. and i have a guy here who will do all the labor for near free. so in the end this will only cost me like 2 grand..

main questioin.. do you think it would be worth it?

Lohman446
05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Depends - does your wife? Significant other? Parents have a life insurance policy on you?

oneworld
05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
parents are still discussing if there ready to lose a son :)

geekwarrior
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
a bike is never the same once its been down....

Hexis
05-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Get a loan for it, that way when you kill yourself in the first week, you don't have to worry about paying it off.

;)

Big'n slo
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Is this your first bike?
If so, buy it, spend as little as you can fixing it so you won't be out as much when it goes down again.

Two types of riders, those who've dropped and those who will

MicroMiniMe
05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Get a loan for it, that way when you kill yourself in the first week, you don't have to worry about paying it off.

;)
Be sure to have the 'Organ Donor' box checked on your drivers licsence.

trevorjk
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
do it, but like geekwarrior said, once the bike has been down (not dropped) its never the same. hell i dropped my bike once doing like 2mph and its never been the same. meh, i love it to death though, just ride safe and defence and then there will be no worries

oh, and its like riding a moutain bike at speed with the dynamics of turning... only problem is, you have 500 pounds instead of 20 and your have 600cc instead of your legs, minor adjustments if you ask me :D

BeaverEater
05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
if this is your first bike id say dont get it, or your gonna wind up just like your friend. Even if you think your gonna ride it safe, the speed easily creeps up on you. Or testosterone kicks in and you need to show off.

Ratt
05-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I ride a harley, but I learned how to ride on a Ninja. If it is your first bike, buy it and use it as a learner. But like Trevorjk said, once it's layed down, the bike will never be the same. Try to resist the urge to push the limits of the bike, b/c the limits of the bike are not going to be what they were before it was layed down. Most of all, have fun, but be safe doing it.

oneworld
05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
well i just took a 120 mile raod trip to check it out... looks like some work.. but i think i can handel it./. also it has lowers gears and a speed doctor in it..

mcveighr
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Bignslo was right, but if youve never ridden before I don't know how I'd feel about a ninja 600, fast bike. Its good to get a beater as a starter bike because you will make mistakes, but like I said thats quick.

I started on a Shadow 750 and thought it was a nice bike to learn on, looking back at my age when I got it and the power of the 600's I dont think Id want to have started on one, im only turning 19 now, but still think I'm more mature and a better driver than when I got the shadow.

zackzel
05-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Bignslo was right, but if youve never ridden before I don't know how I'd feel about a ninja 600, fast bike. Its good to get a beater as a starter bike because you will make mistakes, but like I said thats quick.

I started on a Shadow 750 and thought it was a nice bike to learn on, looking back at my age when I got it and the power of the 600's I dont think Id want to have started on one, im only turning 19 now, but still think I'm more mature and a better driver than when I got the shadow.

On the contrary, I would think that I Ninja 600 would be a good starter bike. Sure they have some good power but they aren't to much. I mean starting on a 1000 would be a bad idea. The key is keep the bike under control and don't push your luck. I guess what I am trying to say is ride within your skill level, as you ride more you skills will get better and you can push it a little more. I started out on a gsxr 600 and honestly after having it for about a year I wanted more so I moved up to the gsxr 1000 which is just perfect for me. But I guess it just all depends on the person.

As for work on the bike as long as the frame is fine and the engine is firing right over replacing your plastics and the bars is no big deal, radiator is pretty strait forward as well. I would go for it.

wanna-b-ballin'
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM
just dont think youre a pro at riding it.
this past sunday on my way back form paintballing i saw two guys weaving in and out of traffic on the freeway. they were constantly looking over their shoulders (not glancing, but actually like staring), and cutting cars off. one of the guys was pretty good at wheelies though :)
he got into a wheelie and stood up, and changed lanes and made turns and all that good stuff, going 70 mph and covering about a mile of ground. i watched him do two wheelies like that.
it makes you wonder, how do you learn to ride like that without killing yourself first?

Rudz
06-01-2006, 12:31 AM
i want a bike..and i was thinking abt a ninja 600..just something to start with..i kno better than to be an idiot on it..i lost friends to motorcyle accidents..and they were experienced riders..but i wanted a ninja, just beacuase they are cheap, and i cant afford a harley yet..but i love my dads road king..but he wont let me near it with a 10 foot pole.. :cry:

oneworld
06-01-2006, 12:33 AM
looks like im just buying a new one.. prya a gsxr 600

frame was bent. so i told him no thanks guess ill go shoppin tomorow :)

magman007
06-01-2006, 01:55 AM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1539728

read

buy a beater.

actually, i take that back, i dont like you much, so go out and buy a 'busa. please.

slade
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
why is everyone saying that a bike is never the same after its been down? what do you mean by that? why is it different?

/getting my motorcycle licence in a month or two

Lohman446
06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
looks like im just buying a new one.. prya a gsxr 600

frame was bent. so i told him no thanks guess ill go shoppin tomorow :)

Don't they recommend the GSXR series for "experienced" riders?

Yeh.. my first bike is gonna be an RX1 - after all, I'm such a safe person :rolleyes:

/Got a bike yesterday actually
//FX 7.3
///Trek

mcveighr
06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes they do, that PBN post was very good, read it.

600 is alot in a sport bike, no jokes.

SCpoloRicker
06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Buy an R1.

/RD RSH RLY?

gimp
06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't recommend a gsxr600 for your first bike. Maybe if your making the switch from dirt bikes to street bikes, then it would probably be ok. It barely takes anything to go out of control if your not familiar with riding a bike. If your on a gixxer and you grab a little to much throttle, the bike pulls away faster than you think it's gonna, and what do you do? You try to hold on and you just give it more throttle. It's really not safe with a bike that does 0-60 in a few seconds. You want something forgiving. An old junker, so when you drop it in some sand and bend the frame you can just chuck it. Then, next summer you buy a gixxer 600.

I understand how it feels to want a rocket for a first bike. I lucked out and couldn't afford one. So I learned how to ride on an old beater. And I did crash ( I actually crashed my friends beater when we were swapping bikes for a ride, but it was close enough). If you've got the money I'd be looking into the new R6. Way cooler than the gsxr. But don't crash, I don't want insurance rates going up.

oneworld
06-01-2006, 03:36 PM
yall are gonna hate me when i tell you im prya buying a 2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R

thats alot of bike. but for 5k and low miles.. its a good bike. i road it today. i think i can handle it.. and i have road ALOT of motocross. i mean maybe only a 250 cc. but still road alot.

Rudz
06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
when u die, i want your paintball stuff..leave it in ur will.. :cheers:

gimp
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
If you've ridden motocross you'll probably be fine. It's the kids without the fundamentals down that don't even know how to ride a bike. the ZX-12 is a helluva bike. You've got to post some pics!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

punkncat
06-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Go and take a driving course, like one of the racing schools or whatnot. Not only will they teach you things you would take years to learn on your own, but will lower your insurance and make you a more competant rider.

What Big and Slo said earlier is true. Either you have dropped your bike or you will. I would highly suggest buying a beater and riding it for a few months before getting a new bike, especially ANY of the new 600+ series sport bikes. I am telling you, these bikes are not the same as they were a few years ago. There have been some serious advances made in the power to weight ratio in these bikes, they DEMAND respect in how they are ridden and experiance in avoiding being injured or killed.

I have ridden bikes for the past 20ish years. A few words of wisdom. Watch other people they are dangerous. Bikes are invisible. Don't be one of "those" riders you see doing stupid ****, they give us all a bad name. NEVER ride in the center of the lane at a stoplight. NEVER loose respect for ANY bike you ride, the moment you do you WILL get hurt.

GL in whatever you choose and please be careful.

slade
06-01-2006, 06:19 PM
NEVER ride in the center of the lane at a stoplight.
? why?

Bear_Claw
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Dude a sport bikes a FAR cry from a motorcross bike. Especially a litter bike it aint no deal if you die in the first week.

I did the safty course ona 125cc kawasaki. Then i rod for 4 months on my mothers 650cc Single Suzuki Savage. then went out and purchased a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 witch i have been rideing now for a year.. And only now am i considering upgrading to a bigger bike or Suzukie V-Strom 650 (same engien as the SV 650). AT nearly 80hp its plenty for my blood and the 6 speed gear box will make 0-60 happen faster than a GT40 super car. Pluse being a adventure turer and a 650cc still my inshurance will be NICE.

My brothers got an older yamah seca 650cc. Thing makes 74hp. I haave ridden it a bit and am amazed how mutch go it has it can easily walk away from anyhting but the most exotic cars on the road.

punkncat
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
? why?

That is where leaky cars dump slick fluids. Not only is it a hazard when its dry, but it becomes even more so in the rain. Its best to not even get in the habit of riding there. I had a car blow a transmission a teach me a valuable lesson.

Lohman446
06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't know. I get my bike much past 35MPH and thats plenty for me.

And my legs are sore

mcveighr
06-01-2006, 09:19 PM
That is where leaky cars dump slick fluids. Not only is it a hazard when its dry, but it becomes even more so in the rain. Its best to not even get in the habit of riding there. I had a car blow a transmission a teach me a valuable lesson.

Theyll teach you all the basics like this if you take a course, which you really should.

And 12R, are you stupid? seriously motocross is nothing.

BeaverEater
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
dirt bikes and rockets are like apples and oranges. Yes riding motocross or w/e will give you the fundamentals to ride, but most 600s, atleast newer ones are pushing around 140 hp, and run mid 10s on the 1/4 mile. The throttle will be very snappy so its fairly easy to gain some real speed on that bike. And sure you can tell yourself that you will be careful, but its easy to creap up in speed on those bikes, and if you just started riding that can cause a lot of probably.

Side not is that if you plan on insurance, look at paying probably 2-3k a year for your bike. That little R tag really raises the price of a bike.

mcveighr
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah, dont forget about insurance, I payed 230$ a year on the Shadow you can expect much more than that.

billybob_81067
06-02-2006, 01:04 AM
I don't know. I get my bike much past 35MPH and thats plenty for me.

And my legs are sore

Lol... how much HP you got in them legs??? :p

oneworld
06-02-2006, 03:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/j-man777/VP342518_2.jpg

there she be... yes i relize its a lot to start on. but after riding it today i think i will be ok. ive wrecked my share of bikes. i no my limits and how far i can push them. and i will most definatly be taking the safty coarse when it rolls around. i aint even gonna tell you how old i am lol then you will all shun me.

Lohman446
06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
there she be... yes i relize its a lot to start on. but after riding it today i think i will be ok. ive wrecked my share of bikes. i no my limits and how far i can push them. and i will most definatly be taking the safty coarse when it rolls around. i aint even gonna tell you how old i am lol then you will all shun me.

I know professional racers who have put bikes down road riding (and track). It happens

MicroMiniMe
06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I know professional racers who have put bikes down road riding (and track). It happens

You just have to watch out for the farm tractor hay rides at night.

/Woo look pretty girlies
//fumpfumpfumpfump

;)

Lohman446
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
You just have to watch out for the farm tractor hay rides at night.

/Woo look pretty girlies
//fumpfumpfumpfump

;)

Theres a reason (ok, there are a lot of reasons) why I never got a road bike :D I have moments of brazen stupidity it seems

gimp
06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Another tip about the oil in the center of the lane. If you come to a stop and put your foot down in it, it's pretty slippery. I know people who've went down doing that. It just hurts your pride.

oneworld
06-02-2006, 01:40 PM
this may be a no go with the insurance tho.. since i will be taking a loan for about half of it i will need full coverage.. DAMNIT! im getting quotes now tho.. ladys gotta call me back :ninja:

slade
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
damn, youre 15 and you already have a motorcycle? im 17 and i just have a permit.

oh yeah, south dakota... wait, were you that kid in south dakota that posted about backing up into a pole?

I know that the R1 would be a horrible bike to start on, but what do people think about the R6? would that still be a bad idea? and would it have a lgreater insurance cost than another bike?

if its not a good choice, what do people think is a good bike to start on, but is still enough that a person wouldnt want to sell it after a year or so?

Im taking a motorcycle course in a month or two at the end of which ill get my licence. its actually sort of funny, half the reason im taking the course is that my sister wants her licence and doesnt want to take the course alone. after i finish the course if i ride anything it would probably be my dads old BMW, but ive been considering getting my own bike... not until the end of the summer at least though.

this thread and the PBN one especially made me laugh for one reason. when i started looking at bikes my dad saw that i was looking mainly at 600 cc bikes. he said that they would probably be a bit weak and that i should look at 1000 cc bikes :p. then again, hes only ridden older cruiser bikes like his BMW, which are about twice the size of a crotch rocket.

oh, and no one answered my question, whats different about a bike after its been down?

Lohman446
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
oh, and no one answered my question, whats different about a bike after its been down?

Very few people have the capability to fix it back as good as the factory had it. Its possible, just not done 99% of the time. Since it is something you tend to push to the limits, it becomes noticeable

slade
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
this may be a no go with the insurance tho.. since i will be taking a loan for about half of it i will need full coverage.. DAMNIT! im getting quotes now tho.. ladys gotta call me back :ninja:
how much is that bike going to cost you?

and after what everyone has been saying, it probably seems like it wouldnt be a great idea to get a first bike that you have to take a loan out on.

geekwarrior
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I hope were ever you live isnt one of those retarded states that lets you ride without a helmet.

slade
06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Very few people have the capability to fix it back as good as the factory had it. Its possible, just not done 99% of the time. Since it is something you tend to push to the limits, it becomes noticeable
ahh, okay. is that because of people repairing their own bikes though? would a reputable shop or the factory be able to restore it to origional condition?

im glad someone said something though, i was actually considering buying a cheaper bike that was damaged and trying to repair it (at my dad's suggestion) ...now im realizing that it may not be the best idea to follow his advice.

Lohman446
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
ahh, okay. is that because of people repairing their own bikes though? would a reputable shop or the factory be able to restore it to origional condition?

im glad someone said something though, i was actually considering buying a cheaper bike that was damaged and trying to repair it (at my dad's suggestion) ...now im realizing that it may not be the best idea to follow his advice.

Able to... probably. Do they? Normally not. Tolerances on a bike cannot be set "by eye" and most people don't bother to be careful enough. If you are learning to ride it is best to try to buy a cheap bike and repair it - because that way when you lay it down (and you will) your not destroying a "new" bike. After a year or two then you might move up. You may never notice it if you did not know the bike before it was down.

geekwarrior
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I know that the R1 would be a horrible bike to start on, but what do people think about the R6? would that still be a bad idea? and would it have a lgreater insurance cost than another bike?

if its not a good choice, what do people think is a good bike to start on, but is still enough that a person wouldnt want to sell it after a year or so?

I always heard that the Honda CBR was the best bike for new riders. It was the easiest to handle. They are also pretty popular, so you should be able to find a niced used one at a decent price. cycletrader.com is a good place to find used bikes.

oneworld
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
my insurqance company wont even cover any street bikes.. wow that is super gay.

Lohman446
06-02-2006, 02:30 PM
my insurqance company wont even cover any street bikes.. wow that is super gay.

My insurance company won't cover any street bike that I drive...

/They probably have a reason

slade
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I always heard that the Honda CBR was the best bike for new riders. It was the easiest to handle. They are also pretty popular, so you should be able to find a niced used one at a decent price. cycletrader.com is a good place to find used bikes.
a honda CBR 600 cc? it looks like a lot of cbr's are 929 cc. do you think it would have a higher insurance rate than another bike?

sorry for all the questions.

*edit* oh, and since people are saying that theres a huge difference between older bikes and the newer 600 cc bikes, would there be a huge difference between an older CBR and a newer one?

geekwarrior
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
My insurance company won't cover any street bike that I drive...

/They probably have a reason

my insurance only covers damage to the bike, nothing on damage to me

SCpoloRicker
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
A freaking ZX-12R?

/paging Dr. Darwin

gimp
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
whatever you do for insurance, make sure you shop around. I was quoted 4500 bucks at one place. The average quote was about 1200, and I ended up paying 588 a year, for full coverage. My bike is an 05 yamaha FZ6. It's a great bike, I'd recommend it as a good starter bike. Little more friendly than the rockets.

oneworld
06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
wow i could live with 580 a year.... but im not old enough to go on my own insurance. i turn 16 in july tho... wait how old do you have to be anyways?

cabldawg
06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Try gieco. They gave me the best quote so far, for full coverage on a new bike. Don't feel bad about your car insurance company not covering your motorcycle mine won't either

BeaverEater
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
a lot of insurance companies wont cover R type bikes, and the ones that do expect to pay out the ace for one. I have an idependent agent that works with all the major companies and the type R bikes were running between 2-3500 a year for full coverage. I would love to get one but i cant see paying that much for insurance. If you really want a 600R bike look at a cbr 600 f2, they are older bikes, and you can usually get them pretty cheap. Also insurance is gonna be less since it is an older bike. They still have the power there and a lot of stunters use them around here cause they are cheap and easy to wheelie if you want to.

slade
06-02-2006, 06:37 PM
a lot of insurance companies wont cover R type bikes, and the ones that do expect to pay out the ace for one. I have an idependent agent that works with all the major companies and the type R bikes were running between 2-3500 a year for full coverage. I would love to get one but i cant see paying that much for insurance. If you really want a 600R bike look at a cbr 600 f2, they are older bikes, and you can usually get them pretty cheap. Also insurance is gonna be less since it is an older bike. They still have the power there and a lot of stunters use them around here cause they are cheap and easy to wheelie if you want to.
what qualifies as an R bike, any bike with "R" in the name? i take it it stands for racing... but that means the honda CBR 600 RR qualifies as an "R" bike, right?

gimp
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
yes, the RR at the end is for 'race ready'. At least that's what we've always thought it ment.

Geico gave me a wicked high quote for full coverage. I ended up getting coverage through Dairyland. They seem to be very cheap. Of course, your 16, so your gonna pay a lot no matter where you go.

Bear_Claw
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Your turning 16 and getting a loan to buy a 1200CC sport bike and wondering why its so expensive or impossible to inshure. Think it through man why would ANYONE risk inshureing you to ride something VERY demanding when your immature and inexperianced. IT doent make sence. I have riden now for nearly 2 years and am still rideing a 650cc CRUISER (v_star 650 classic). Im perfetly happy on it and its every bit capable of getting me in trouble in a hurry. IN a year or two i plan to get another bike (either a big Cruiser) or a Suzuki V-Strom 650cc. BUt guess what my little 650 is staying as its just a fun cruiseing machine.

For your sake lets hope all of us that actually ride are wrong and you actually live to see 17 but the odds shure are against you.

madmaxx890
06-04-2006, 07:55 PM
god bless Washington state. Doesn't require any insurance at all on motorcycles

btw, just got my endorsement today :clap:

oneworld
06-05-2006, 03:32 AM
im moving to washington FTW

also i rode the 1200 cc today.. im thinking not. i am afraid of that sucker.. i think ill look for a nice gsxr 600 0r a 1000.. k

Maksimus54
06-05-2006, 03:54 AM
You're nuts to be looking at a liter bike, pure and simple. I think Bearclaw is a little off with the 600cc power numbers but I have heard of them tipping 100hp, and thats crazy on such a light platform. As for moving to washington, realize that just because the state doesn't require insurance doesn't mean whomever you borrow money from doesn't. besides you would be an idiot to ride without coverage. If for whatever reason you do end up with some liter bike you best not be messing up my roads, i am sick and tired of idiots popping a wheelie, crashing, and closing down I-90 for a couple of hours.