PDA

View Full Version : Can one convert a Tippmann SMG-60 into an SMG-68?

Gunga
12-20-2001, 08:38 PM
For all you old timers out there, like me, who remember what the SMG-60 is, does anyone know if you can convert the -60 into a -68?

My friend has an old SMG-60 that I'm gonna try to get off of him as he doesn't play paintball anymore. The problem is that the -60 uses .62 caliber paintballs, which of course are hard to procure. :) Soooo...if I could convert it to a -68 which uses .68 caliber paintballs, that'd be much better. :D

Maybe I could even take the side magazine off and slap a warp on it. :)

toymyster
12-20-2001, 10:08 PM
An SMG68 with warp.... You'll have got to post pics of that one!!!

AGD
12-20-2001, 10:26 PM
Tippman used to do it call them. A 60 cal smg is a collectable, you might want to think about it.

AGD

Gunga
12-21-2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Tippman used to do it call them. A 60 cal smg is a collectable, you might want to think about it.

Yeah...but it'd be lots more fun to shoot it then to watch it collect dust on a shelf.

If it were easy/affordable to get .62 caliber paintballs, I'd leave it the way it is. And, a warped SMG-68 sounds kinda cool. :D I know when the current owner played with it, all of us would avoid him like the plague. Our puny Splatmasters rate of fire left quite a bit to be desired, to put it mildly. :)

But as far as the collectable part of it goes, how much are those things worth?

kenshinkandon
12-21-2001, 09:26 AM
I think this will give you a estimate as to how rare they are

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1052115107

PsychoMag
12-21-2001, 10:22 AM
DEFINITELY KEEP IT ORIGINAL!!

A real SMG-60 is very hard to find. How many clips do u have for it? We used to play wwith them years ago. I would not recommend the changeover. But, Nelson makes a .62 caliber paint still...little more expensive than .68, but I believe you get 2500balls instead of 2000.

Flamebo
12-21-2001, 12:56 PM
If the 68 is that expensive than the 60 must be worth tons more... Definitley keep it as-is, you might even be able to sell it to Tippmann or a collector for some good money.

Muzikman
12-21-2001, 01:08 PM
There where not that many SMG-68's made. The SMG-60 was more common. I would still not touch it even if it means you never fire it. It's a nice collectors item and would look great hanging on a wall:)

thei3ug
12-21-2001, 01:13 PM
from what i recall, tippmann converted smg68s to 68specials, which is why there's fewer now to find than there should be.

smg60s are not convertable to anything, however smg68s can take smg60 trigger assemblies...

You'd be hard pressed to warp feed an smg. the stripper clip acts similarly to a breech IIRC.

thei3ug
12-21-2001, 01:14 PM
Oh, and i THINK tippmann sold the remaining 68 special stock to some other company cause they don't want to deal with them.

but calling them up will get you contact info.

Muzikman
12-21-2001, 01:48 PM
Bug, speaking about rare guns...wanna get rid of that GrayGhost yet?:)

thei3ug
12-21-2001, 04:02 PM
i don't have a grey ghost. :)

I dunno man. As much as I need the money, I think I'd miss it too much.

And i'd probably spend it on junk anyway.

Vegeta
12-21-2001, 05:05 PM
I WANT IT! You know how much that thing is worth!
Who would wanna change it! I would go to the far corners of the earth to find .62 cal paint just so I can load them up into the little ring-cartridges and into that clip! gotta love it!

No a warp would never be possible for each paintball has to be enclosed into a cartidge-like ring and then the paintballs are shot oput like in a real gun, and the cartridges are ejected into a bag like on a lawnmower. Thats why they wernt too popular.

MJS1214
12-21-2001, 08:18 PM
GUNGA:HOW MUCH FOR THE BULLDOG SMG?!?!?!?!?

[NA]WARLORD
12-21-2001, 08:58 PM
That particular one shown at ebay was a Bulldog smg 68, due to its short barrel. It can be seen in the movie Cyborg, with Jean Claude Van Damme, might be hard to find, its pretty old. Another post was correct in saying that a few remaining smg's were converted to 68 specials, but i agree with the others keep it the way it is, you may be able to sell it one day. Also try I&I sports, they used to sell the smaller caliber paints.

Gunga
12-22-2001, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by MJS1214
GUNGA:HOW MUCH FOR THE BULLDOG SMG?!?!?!?!?

Dunno...haven't talked to him about it. I'll see him Christmas Eve though. I don't think it'll be hard to talk him out of it. He doesn't play paintball anymore...got married. *shudder* He hasn't used the SMG for years.

But, we'll see. :)

Nitroduck
12-22-2001, 12:38 AM
Heh................. I've been looking at smg-60s for the past year or so , and have seen about 3-4 go for sale........... the average going price for em have been 300-400 I'm really surprised that that guy wants that much for it.

MJS1214
12-22-2001, 04:15 PM
hey could i buy it off of you if i pay you a little more then you pay him??????ive been looking for 1 of theese for like 3 years!

Gunga
12-24-2001, 11:13 PM
Got me a SMG-60!! :D

Rippin it apart now to clean it and stuff. Even found some old .62 cal ammo for it. It's gotta be almost 10 yrs old. So we'll see how well it shoots outta my new baby! :)

Dry fired it tonight...there's nothin quite like the feeling of FULL AUTO BABY!!!!! :D

BlackVCG
12-24-2001, 11:37 PM
Sweet. Did you get the short barrel version? What kind of condition is it in? I'm in the process of restoring mine. Here it is.

http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/SMG60/SMG_02.jpg

I do have more stripper clips than shown. About 75 actually. :)

Gunga
12-24-2001, 11:46 PM
It's in decent shape...though the previous owner painted some grey stripes on it. A sort of camo I guess. Taking some of that off.

It's got a shorter barrel than what yours has, BlackVCG. It's also got the semi/full auto trigger on it. Pull halfway and it's in semi mode...pull the trigger all the way back and it's time to 'rock 'n roll'. :)

He also did a modification on it. Made a semi/full auto selector on it. I'll post a pic of it after I get it put back together.

It also leaks down the barrel, so I'll probably replace the o-rings. Uhm...I don't suppose you know the sizes of O-rings I'll need, do you? I guess it'd be helpful if he still had the owners manual for this thing. Oh well.

BlackVCG
12-25-2001, 12:20 AM
Well, if you disassemble the valve via the two internal snap rings, out will come two valve seat holders (hex base with pin on the end and black seat) the valve end caps (brass piece with urethane o-ring) and the valve spring. If it's leaking down the barrel, then the front valve end cap o-ring must be bad.

The valve end cap o-rings are the same as Automag piston o-rings. Then there's the valve body o-ring and the rear hammer o-ring. Those two o-rings are NOT the same as Carbine/Prolite rear hammer o-rings. They are however the same o-ring as the valve body o-ring on the AGD Flatline.

Mine is pretty much 100% stock. The only thing I need to replace is the brass elbow that goes from the hose to the valve. That was broke when I got it and there's no way it can fire when it's broke. I plan on getting the steel tube that holds the hammer and valve reblued and getting the rear hammer plated with the same material as Carbine/Prolite hammers. Can't remember what it's called, I think zinc chromate, but can't remember for certain. Also, I'm assuming the barrel is just press fit, so I'll see if I can get that out and get it reblued. I plan on getting this back to brand new condition and hanging it on the wall. Maybe firing it on occasion.

zvanut
12-25-2001, 11:22 AM
that thing is scary looking, but cool

Gunga
12-25-2001, 02:08 PM
BlackVCG,

Here's a pic of the mod my buddy did to his SMG-60. It's a semi/full auto selector switch.

Gunga
12-26-2001, 10:59 PM
Hey guys...here's a link to a .wav file of my new baby, the SMG-60 going full auto. I wonder how many bps it's running at. :D

http://my.voyager.net/~gunga/SMG-60.wav

Of course, after that burst, I'd have to hide in a bunker and reload...the magazine only holds 15 rounds. DOH!

Gunga
12-27-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by PsychoMag A real SMG-60 is very hard to find. How many clips do u have for it? [/B]

I've got 31 clips each of which hold 5 rounds each. The SMG's magazine holds 3 clips (total of 15 rounds).