PDA

View Full Version : Macroline PSI

Jim888
06-03-2006, 06:33 PM
quick question how much PSI is a macroline suppose to be able to hold? I have one on my X-valved ULE mag and have an armagedon airamerica tank on it psi around 1000 worked great all day I let my brother use it and he put it in the back of my van and when I went to get it out tonight...no air in the tank...(he forgot to turn the on/off in to the off position)

and a big hole in the line...

thanks for any help

paintman1234
06-03-2006, 07:31 PM
thats happend to me before on my mag, I could try much more then 800psi

I think stainless is rated to something rediculus like 5000psi

Chronobreak
06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
think most is rated at like 500-800, but can take 1200 + for short periods

the odler the line and more pressure, the more liekly it will break

Tunaman
06-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Never leave paintball guns and tanks in the car. The temp inside could almost double and cause the tank to overpressurize and blow, causing serious bodily harm.

Ydna
06-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Most macroline has a burst around 800-900 psi but it does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The hose is "rated" to only 300-ish psi but it can take more before problems occur.

You can get stronger hose but it's oftentimes much more stiff. The macroline I sell has a burst aroun 1200-psi, but the bend radius is much wider.

Some of the macroline fittings themselves are only rated to 290-psi...lol

Maggot6
06-04-2006, 01:45 PM
I was pretty sure the parker macroline Tuna uses is has an extremely high Rating, somewhere in the 1-2000 range.

Chronobreak
06-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I was pretty sure the parker macroline Tuna uses is has an extremely high Rating, somewhere in the 1-2000 range.

think its 1200, cause mine def blew at around 1500, along with the elbow 90* fitting and guage(1500 psi stock guage)

athomas
06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
The Parker macro line is rated at 625psi operating pressure but has a 4x burst rating (2500psi), which is higher than most other products on the market. It is a bit stiffer though.

The ratings are at ideal conditions. Any blemishes or scratches on the line derates it.

nixcamic
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
So if macroline is only rated for 600 psi, why do we regulaily put ~900 psi down it?

SummaryJudgement
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I got a tank filled by a friend a couple weeks ago. It's a smartparts tank, so it has an on/off. According to my friend the guy filling the tank "adjusted" the reg for me. When I turned the valve open I saw the output gauge needle dip WAY past the 1500psi mark and the hose blew instantly, from about sixteen inches from my head. This was three weeks ago and my right ear is STILL ringing. That's why I went and bought about five stainless lines right away.

If people are selling stuff rated even above 1000 psi you should be really careful if you have an adjustable tank.

MoeMag
06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Macro line that I sell is rated at 3k. IDK why in the (bleep) you all would even consider anything less. The standard fitting that co2 and compressed air (nitro tanks) are rated for 1.8k (thus the burst disk pressure) so anything less than that really would be asking to get hurt.

EDIT: For co2 users...
1.8k is what the valves minimum rated value is. Companies like Pure Energy and Catalina (just the ones I know of off hand) make their valves at a higher quality and thus rate them for 3k. So there is absolutely every chance that 3k of pressure could (note I said could) go into your lines if something happened to the reg. Not to mention liquid co2 could get into lines as well.

\/ \/ \/ Fittings rated lower than hose!? Wow. May I remind you that the fittings are METAL and when those explode they send out shrapnel. Don’t skimp out and get cheap stuff in lieu of quality and safety.

GET 3k macro!

I just read this...

Never leave paintball guns and tanks in the car. The temp inside could almost double and cause the tank to overpressurize and blow, causing serious bodily harm.

I will back that up. Todays temp is arround 110° (thats in the shade)... so imagine a tank sitting in 220°. Yes it gets that hot, and yes they do explode ( I did mean the burst disk blowing. a blown burst disk in a car can cause some serious damage, thus my usage of explode) Its kind of funny, my favorite pizza place puts the dough outside in tupperware to rise. :cool:

FallNAngel
06-08-2006, 02:01 PM
problem is, most macro fittings are rated way less than the line is.

Teamslayer76
06-08-2006, 02:47 PM
The majority of macro line is rated at 850psi, while others are lower around 600psi. I woudn't try anything over 800 at all on macroline. Stainless Braided Hose on the other hand is nearly 6,000 psi burst pressure. :)

SlartyBartFast
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
quick question how much PSI is a macroline suppose to be able to hold?
Very easy to answer. [b]IF[\b] you can tell us who the manufacturer of the line is and which product line.
Let the disinformation and scaremongering begin! :p

think most is rated at like 500-800, but can take 1200 + for short periods
Good GOD NO!
Firstly you have no idea what “most” line is rated for. Unless you know the specs of all lines and the ones most sold. You can purchase identical looking fitings and one might be rated to 200psi, the other 10,000psi.
Secondly, the ratings are for [b]working pressure[\b] and [b]burst pressure[\b]. WP is the pressure you are not supposed to surpass. If you surpass it, chances are the line may be no good. It certainly no longer has the same BP rating.

the odler the line and more pressure, the more liekly it will break
That at least is true. Line should be inspected and replaced regularly.

I will back that up. Todays temp is arround 110° (thats in the shade)... so imagine a tank sitting in 220°. Yes it gets that hot, and yes they do explode. Its kind of funny, my favorite pizza place puts the dough outside in tupperware to rise. :cool:
Okay, tank filled to 4000psi at 72°. Sits in car at 220°. P1/T1=P2/T2 so, P2 = P1*(T2/T1), the pressure would be:12222.22psi.
Would the tank explode? Of course not. The burst disk would/should blow long before it reaches that pressure.
Of course fittings might have problems, unless you actually had a properly setup air system with an properly rated LP burst disk or you depressurise the marker when not in use.

but it does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The only true thing you said. It also varies from product line to product line.

The hose is "rated" to only 300-ish psi but it can take more before problems occur.
Okay, that’s just stupid. You’re not supposed to surpass the WP. The BP is what provides you with a safety if the presure spikes above normal working pressue but remains below the burst disk. Sell someone line based on BP to be used long term at higher pressures and you’ve set yourself up for a criminal negligence suit.
Think about bending paper clips. Under certain forces, they can be bend back and forth forever, they’ll never break. But pass their yeild point, and each successive bend takes less and less force until it breaks.

The Parker macro line is rated at 625psi operating pressure but has a 4x burst rating (2500psi), which is higher than most other products on the market. It is a bit stiffer though.

So, you’re supposed to use it at 625. NOT 2500. And which parker line? Parker has instrumentation line rated up to 15,000 psi and beyond.

So if macroline is only rated for 600 psi, why do we regulaily put ~900 psi down it?
Because the vast majority of paintballers are blisfully ignorant and the industry has been lucky so far...

1.8k is what the valves minimum rated value is. Companies like Pure Energy and Catalina (just the ones I know of off hand) make their valves at a higher quality and thus rate them for 3k. So there is absolutely every chance that 3k of pressure could go into your lines if something happened to the reg. Not to mention liquid co2 could get into lines as well.
While I agree with what else you posted, 3k will not get into your lines. The burst disk should blow before that.

problem is, most macro fittings are rated way less than the line is.
No. Correctly matched line and fittings have matched ratings.

The majority of macro line is rated at 850psi, while others are lower around 600psi. I woudn't try anything over 800 at all on macroline. Stainless Braided Hose on the other hand is nearly 6,000 psi burst pressure. :)

athomas
06-08-2006, 08:06 PM
So, you’re supposed to use it at 625. NOT 2500. And which parker line? Parker has instrumentation line rated up to 15,000 psi and beyond.

I just checked with Parker and they do have an 800psi working pressure macro line with a 3200 psi burst which is higher than the 625psi line. It still isn't high enough for the working pressures of paintball applications, but better than most of the alternatives which are lower rated to start and only have a 3x burst rating.

The Parker line rated at 15000psi is not the same item as macro line. It won't fit the connectors and is made differently.

SlartyBartFast
06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
It won't fit the connectors and is made differently.

Well, DUH! You buy the connectors made for it.

800psi is fine for paintball pressures. But to be safe, there shuld be a burst disk in the LP side to account for the weakest component.

Correctly designed all hydraulic and pneumatic systems have a relief valve or burst disk sized for maximum flow requirements and a pressure of maximum working pressure.

Google
"determine burst disk requirements"
"API RP520"

and more.

Or, go talk to a pressure vessel/system professional. Call Parker. See what they say....

FallNAngel
06-09-2006, 12:18 AM
No. Correctly matched line and fittings have matched ratings.

I was saying that in response to someone saying he has 3000psi hose... which is true, most macro fittings can't take 3000psi... Could you match the fittings and line? Sure. Most fittings and hose that you get in a pro shop aren't rated for what we put them through though.

SlartyBartFast
06-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I was saying that in response to someone saying he has 3000psi hose... which is true, most macro fittings can't take 3000psi... Could you match the fittings and line? Sure. Most fittings and hose that you get in a pro shop aren't rated for what we put them through though.

Well "DUH"! I see your point though. The "dealers" who've bought lengths of tubing and sell it as "safer" without due dilligence for fittings is being negligent.

If you went to the trouble to source hose/tube you'd have to be incompetent to not get the fittings at the same time.

Anyone selling hose/tube based on it's ratings (and only WP is important) and not warning the purchaser to check the fittings or incorrectly saying the tube is safe because of the BP is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen.

So everyone: check the psi rating of the LP burst disk on your marker. That's what the working pressure rating of all down stream components is supposed to be....

athomas
06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, DUH! You buy the connectors made for it.

Then it wouldn't be macro line if it doesn't fit macro line connectors. ;)

I do agree with what you are saying though. Most of the time, the buyer is being misled into buying whay they believe to be a safe part rated for the pressures that they are operating at. Most of the time, the operating pressures are just under the burst rating, not the working pressure which puts them at risk of failure more often than not.

SlartyBartFast
06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Then it wouldn't be macro line if it doesn't fit macro line connectors. ;)
Define "macroline". Seems opaintball uses that generic term. Not tube and hose manufacturers.
So, "macroline" from a given manufacturer in a given product line fits the "macroline". fittings from that manufacturer and product line.

I do agree with what you are saying though. Most of the time, the buyer is being misled into buying whay they believe to be a safe part rated for the pressures that they are operating at. Most of the time, the operating pressures are just under the burst rating, not the working pressure which puts them at risk of failure more often than not.
You mean like the fact that the "Pro-connect" was rated for 250psi? :eek:

Muzikman
06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
You mean like the fact that the "Pro-connect" was rated for 250psi? :eek:

I have seen way too many pro-conencts blow over the years. I have three sitting at home that come on guns that I have bought. I take them off and throw them in a box with the macro/micro line fittings that I have taken off guns also.

I only use Parker braided lines and brass fittings (including 6 ball QDs). It might not be pretty, but in the 14 years I have been playing, I have not once had a line blow on me.

I do run Macro line on one gun. My Hurricane has macro line as it's the only thing readily available that will fit. I want someone to make me a hardline for it at some point.

athomas
06-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Define "macroline". Seems opaintball uses that generic term. Not tube and hose manufacturers.
So, "macroline" from a given manufacturer in a given product line fits the "macroline". fittings from that manufacturer and product line.

Yes, the term "macroline" seems to be a generic term used in the paintball industry. But it does refer to a specific size tube and fittings, meaning that a hose from manufacturer A will fit a fitting from manufacturer B.

There are several differnt types of tubing on the market that are much more safe than macroline. They have higher ratings and are tougher. They also are more manufacturer specific and more costly. The cost is the main reason they don't become adopted by players. Its quite funny actually. Players will spend $2000.00 on a gun and bottle, and then get cheap and put $10 worth of air line on it instead of spending a higher amount on a product that will actually proply protect him and keep the gun functional.

jenarelJAM
06-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay, tank filled to 4000psi at 72°. Sits in car at 220°. P1/T1=P2/T2 so, P2 = P1*(T2/T1), the pressure would be:12222.22psi.
Would the tank explode? Of course not. The burst disk would/should blow long before it reaches that pressure.

One thing wrong with your calculations chief. PV=nRT has T in Kelvin, not fahrenheit. Okay, so assuming the tank starts at 72 deg fahrenheit, and ends up at 220 degrees fahrenheit.

(72 - 32) x 4/9 + 273 = 290.8K
(220 - 32) x 4/9 +273 = 356.6K

So since V, n, and R are constant (volume, amount[moles] of gas, and gas constant), P1/T1 = P2/T2

4000/290.8 = X/356.6

X = 4905.1 psi

This is assuming that you don't leave your tank filled completely to 4500 psi(starting with 4000 psi), and although it's definately not a good idea, there is nothing really to worry about with less than 5k psi in a 4.5k tank, as soon as you take it home, it will cool off again. It's not a good idea, but remember that these tanks have to pass hydro where they (i think) exert 8k psi, and the tank must have very little expansion. So nothing life threatening, probably nothing that would blow the burst disk even...

SlartyBartFast
06-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Seems you have a point....

(72 - 32) x 4/9 + 273 = 290.8K
(220 - 32) x 4/9 +273 = 356.6K

Check your Kelvin conversions. I get (using a conversion tool):
72F = 295.3722K
220F = 377.5944K

So since V, n, and R are constant (volume, amount[moles] of gas, and gas constant), P1/T1 = P2/T2
As I had, P2 = P1 (T2/T1)
So, for the actual calculation I was wrong.... Whatever.
But are you sure Kelvin should be used? This website says Rankine:
http://home.flash.net/~table/gasses/charles.htm
By my calculation using Kelvin you get 5113psi.
Using Rankine as per the website above, 5116psi.
Doubt 3psi is worth worrying about. :p
It’s been far too long since I took high school/college chemistry....
While my quick and stupid math was wrong (I doubted the number as soon as Excel spat it out), it doesn’t change my point. It doesn’t matter what pressure the tank “might” get to in a sealed cylinder. The burst disk is designed to blow long before tank pressure becomes dangerous.
For the same reason, AGD claims that the AIR valve is rated to 3000psi, or boostingof higher pressure ratings for any components is meaningless.
IF the air system and the components are designed/built with adequate safety pressure relief. The working pressure that fittings and hose has to be rated for is the rating of the LP burst disk. No LP burst disk? Well, THEN everything has to be able to withstand tank pressure.