PDA

View Full Version : Getting an X-valve annoed?

PnueMagger
06-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Can x-valves be safely reannoed?

Assuming one could be annoed without huring the tolerances, how do you remove the stainless powertube?

Kevmaster
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
you remove the powertube by unscrewing it.

but assuming that you can reanno the thing without affecting the tolerances is a very, VERY poor assumption

BigEvil
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I think Tunaman is the only one that does it without screwing them up. Talk to him.

Steelrat
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Kila had milled AND reannoed the one on Z-man's "Chimera" sfl emag.

Chronobreak
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
i would reccomend having tuna do it from a raw valve, otherwise remove all the parts, (i would suggest masking off all internals as well) and have at it

but the tolerances are tight, and your voiding your warranty(agd will say it was your bad)

ahellers
06-04-2006, 04:33 PM
i asked tuna if he could do it a while ago, but he seemd pretty reluctent about it
t

slade
06-04-2006, 04:49 PM
hmm... you know, technically, couldnt you mask off all the internals and then strip and reano? the internals will still be ano'd and at the right tolerances, and who cares if theyre the wrong color? the outside can then be safely reanod, and the tolerance difference wont matter. thats of course assuming that you can mask off the internals with something that will hold up to the stripping and ano process... i know rubber cement works for the dying process, but im not sure about anything else.

zackzel
06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I think Tunaman is the only one that does it without screwing them up. Talk to him.

I think the only color tuna even does them in anymore is dust black, correct me if I'm wrong tuna.

Dayspring
06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Tuna gets un-anodized valves. Only dealer that does.

There's a reason for that.

Loguzzzzzz
06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I had questioned Tunaman about this and unless you are going to buy a completely custom anodized marker from him it is not worth the trouble.

Tuna takes a raw valve, sends it out to be anodized, then it is returned to him, it is assembled and then send to AGD for a serial number and lazer etching. then returned to Tuna where the final assemly is completed and the locator pin is drilled and press in by Tuna.

A very drawn out process that doesn't lend itself to a "one-off" situation. Tuna couldn't charge enough to make it worth his while. Disappointing but totaly understandable.

From an email meesage to me from Tuna:

You see John, it's a royal pain in the ***. I would have to send the valve
out to anno, then it comes back to me. Then I have to send it out for
Lasering and serialization. Then it comes back to me again. Then I have to
mill the Z lock hole and install the pin...it brings the cost up to about
325.00 so it's hardly worth it to do one piece. Tuna

Hexis
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
While all of the above is correct. I have seen a fully functional custom annoed valve. I took it apart for Microminime and he sent it off to somone to have it re-annoed. Not sure what happened to the gun, it was a while ago.

RRfireblade
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I've done few for customers in the past , it's a pain in butt and most Anno shops will say you can't do it like that but in a nut shell....yes , you can mask off all the critical areas and strip and anno the rest.

However, if things go wrong your SOL and in any case regardless out of warranty. ;)

Hexis
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
However, if things go wrong your SOL and in any case regardless out of warranty. ;)

Quite true, as soon as that laser engraving goes away, the valve is not going to be covered by AGD for anything.