PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Wear

RapidTransit
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Some History, skip to the bottom if you don't like history lessons.

I was just reading an article in Mopar Collectors Guide about a buildup of a ball stud Hemi, since there is only one in existance this is the first time I have read about building one. Ball Sud Hemis were supposed to be the sucessor of the Hemi back in 71 they used full swirl port heads in a hemisperical chamber. Instead of an adjustable type of shaft mounted rocker system normally found in a Mopar the engineers used non adjustable ball studs to hold the rockers down. A few problems arose one you couldn't ajust the valvetrain as the components wear you had to rebuild it making it only usable in drag racing but since Chrysler pulled out it was useless and Hemis and Six Packs were already a headache at dealerships plus the usual rising insurance gas etc finally killed the idea and it was scraped. During the 80's when Chrysler was in major financial trouble they liquidating assets, selling the ball studs at 5 cents a pound, only one survived and was displayed in a museum. Some nut job decided to buy it and build it up.

//End History

To fight the wear they used Micropolishing and Casidiam plating http://www.casidiam.com/ something not available during the early 70's and is being used on a HiPo Hemi. Why not on an Automag bolt to prevent bolt wear to run a lower dwell time? :cheers: Just a thought, wouldn't hurt for some extra insurance.

Chronobreak
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
i dont know about the plating or how well that would work, if at all

however a number of automag users have been or had their bolts polished to increase efficency.

RapidTransit
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Spring pressure usually starts around 100lbs and can go over 300lbs and think of how many times a valve is openening and closing every second. The rocker head stud has to be very tough a coating that can survive that could definitely last in an automag. Maybe Vetter can put it through a stress test. :dance:

BerSerK
06-07-2006, 11:51 AM
however a number of automag users have been or had their bolts polished to increase efficency.

do they polish just the outside of the bolt or everything ?

Chronobreak
06-07-2006, 11:58 AM
do they polish just the outside of the bolt or everything ?

i think most people were just doing the bolt stems, i would assume some did the sides/face but dono what the overall effect was...or worth doing

hipster
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I would think you would have to find a way to polish the inside shaft of the bolt for better efficiency

yes / no ?????

Z-man
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
That is actually a pretty cool idea! From the playing I did with my old Mags I seem to recall that a stock bolt had a life of about ~100,000 rounds with the largest wear coming from the "lip" of the bolt where the sear caught and second allong the length of the bolt from the springs wearing on it.

I wonder about the cost of a plating like that. My thinking is that for it to be a practical solution it would effectivly need to x2+ the life of the part and cost equal to or less than the equivalent number of bolts you would have bought.

EX.

The coating costs ~$60 (total with shipping and all that) and effectivly doubles the life of the bolt giving you about ~200,000 rounds before replacement (or recoating if that works). The cost of a new bolt from AGD is ~50 (total with shipping and all that). Overall it would be cheaper to buy a new bolt.

But! I have no idea about how this stuff would hold up and it certainly looks neat! I think Ill find out what it would cost to have something coated and if the price comes down based on the numbers you send them.

Cool find!

Indignant
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Interesting read.

Z-man
06-07-2006, 12:13 PM
OH MAN! I just had a new thought! As I was talking to the general manager named "Rex" and I thought,

DUUUUDE! COAT THE WHOLE FREAKING MARKER!!! Imagine! the whole thing would last forever!!!

OK so that might be overkill but dang that would be pimp! makes type 3 ano look like sissy girl!

BigEvil
06-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to only coat the lip and leave the bolt stem and body uneffected?

Is anyone looking into pricing ???

Indignant
06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
The coating costs ~$60 (total with shipping and all that)

yeah.

RapidTransit
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM
OH MAN! I just had a new thought! As I was talking to the general manager named "Rex" and I thought,

DUUUUDE! COAT THE WHOLE FREAKING MARKER!!! Imagine! the whole thing would last forever!!!

OK so that might be overkill but dang that would be pimp! makes type 3 ano look like sissy girl!
Yeah I was just thinking about every moving part there is in a Mag and reduced friction. If we could do a group thing maybe try and convince AGD to send their stuff out there. :rofl:

FallNAngel
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah.

I could be wrong, but I think that was just a made up number for example purposes...

Z-man
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Sorry I was out running about and yes those were made up numbers... I am calling them back later today to get real numbers, time fames and estimates and crap.