PDA

View Full Version : Stripped body Help

Big_Magnum357
12-20-2001, 11:54 PM
Someone gave me a minicocker body with the front gripframe to body hole stripped. I needed a new project and this is it. How do I go about fixing the stripped hole in the body??

LaW
12-20-2001, 11:57 PM
you can use a dye?? sp. and rethread it...you just need the size of the hole. I think this shoud work...

magmonkey
12-21-2001, 08:34 AM
I would send the gun to a compitent machine shop and have them put a helicoil insert into it
that way you wil not have any trouble with the threads stripping again because the inserts are made of alot tougher material than the body

toymyster
12-21-2001, 01:13 PM
A Helicoil insert will take care of it with no problems!!!

cphilip
12-21-2001, 01:22 PM
I think a die is for outside threading and a Tap is for inside (holes) threading. Yep thats what I would do. Re-tap it.

Puddleglum
12-21-2001, 01:42 PM
I agree, Tap it. Especially if its aluminum.

LaW
12-21-2001, 02:00 PM
thanks for the correction!!! your absolutely right, tap it :)

Muzikman
12-21-2001, 02:30 PM
I would suggest using a helicoil ket also. The problem with a re-tap is that then the hole is larger, you also have to worry about how deep the threads are. Helicoil kits are pretty cheap and pretty easy to use (although Drill press is nice).

Hasty8
12-21-2001, 03:03 PM
In my professional opinion, Helicoil suck more then a gaping chest wound.

I fully recommend and endorse re tapping the threads. If the threads have benn stripped to the point where the metal is fatigues and the opening is wider then the screw follow these easy steps.

Make sure the thread hole is clear of debris using a high pressure air source like canned air for cleaning computers.

Also try to remove and grease or lubricant debris.

Fill the hole with an metal epoxy that will adhere to aluminum. Drill and then retap the hole to original specs and you are golden my friend.

All the materials can be found at a Home Depot or local hardware store and should not cost you more then 10 bucks assuming you already have some sort of drill or power driver.

Good luck and keep your barrel dry.

Hasty8
12-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Yes cphillip.

Use a dye for external (male) threads and tap for internal (female) threads.

toymyster
12-21-2001, 04:32 PM
Do not just tap it!!! Taping the whole enlarges the hole, so your bolt either will not fit, or if it does, it will not tighten properly!!! Now even though the grip screw is not a critical part (has no gas pressure against it) A helicoil is a much better way to go!! You can even get a kit and do it yourself, it's a fairly simple operation!!!

LaW
12-21-2001, 04:38 PM
it won't enlarge the whole... retapping it takes the threads that were ruined and repairs the, if you have the right sized tap it will work. trust me i've retapped lug nuts for cars and other things

toymyster
12-21-2001, 04:56 PM
Remember, the Cocker body is aluminum, lug nuts are steel!!! Huge difference!!! With lug nuts, usually it's just one or two threads that are damaged, with a small hole in aluminum, the hole usually strips out completely!!!

LaW
12-21-2001, 04:59 PM
i guess i really didn't think about that, probably a good point :) take it into consideration people hehe

FeelTheRT
12-21-2001, 08:43 PM
don't get it retapped, thats all i have to say. My Minicocker is in the hospital now, it's a really long story..

It all started when i tried screwing in a shocktech cradle but the reg sticked out too far and stripped the screw hole. Because of that, i went out ot get a new trigger frame, a WGP Hindge because it is taller and the reg will not hit the cradle. It was supposed to be done today... but they found that the ASA and reg was too large <//stupid aftermarket stuff...> so the Hindge frame wouldn't fit. I decided to get it cut. Once it was cut, we found that the screw hole to screw in the frame was a different size. No size screws they had would fit and store owner noticed that the hole was stripped before and retapped. He later than finally found one that had similar threadings and would fit but... the screw wouldn't fit in the trigger frame so they drilled the hole larger to fit. Now that it fit... the screw was too freaking short!! So now it requires a custom made screw which should take a week or two to acquire...

N E ways the moral of this story is... aftermarket stuff sux.. i meen, don't get ur hole retapped.

BTW, thats the last time im EVER going to get anything used off the internet. For now on it's new guns new everything from store..

Big_Magnum357
12-22-2001, 12:12 AM
thanks for all the input. My airsmith will helicoil it for 10 bucks. I think I will go that route.