PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into pumps... advice?

Corbet
06-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I've always wanted a pump gun. I've got my high end electro. I've got my automag. Now I want a pump.

Pretty much everyone says go with a Phantom. I'm having a hard time deciding to go stock class or not. Stock class seems to be popular for pump tourneys but I'd also like the option of using a hopper for possible woods games. What do you guys think?

behemoth
06-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Make a transition from big tanks and big loaders down.
- Go with a smaller tank, and a 45 rnd hopper, or something.

I've got that. Its nice.

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/7478/picture0354co.th.jpg (http://img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0354co.jpg) http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/3296/picture0342ph.th.jpg (http://img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0342ph.jpg)

::edit:: HOLY TOLEDO, YOURE FROM TOLEDO.

Lets have a pump day?

mmmk.

Corbet
06-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Could be possible, there alot of pump players in Cleveland? Any good fields in general? I'll be there for the Vans Warped Tour in the middle of August.

behemoth
06-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Could be possible, there alot of pump players in Cleveland? Any good fields in general? I'll be there for the Vans Warped Tour in the middle of August.

I dont know, there might be?

Feilds... eh, getting scarce.

Warped tour? I might, but doubt it. Too much money, Too hot, Not enough good bands.

NewbieMagMan10988
06-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Pump = AWESOME

It is alot of fun and helps your skills, blah blah blah.

I would recomend Useing a small tank and little hopper. It makes the transition much smoother (for me anyway). Then pick up a VSC if you still like the pump game. If not, bust out the ramping electro and pawn some pumpers :(

lol, jk

But pump is allways a good idea,

Mike

Corbet
06-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Thats cool. Fields are getting scarce around here also. We've got Pevs and one place that is pretty cheap.

Zygote
06-08-2006, 09:39 AM
-find someone selling a convertible feed sniper
-get a vsc phantom and spend the $30-40 to get an extra df body so you can go stock feed or hopper.
-get a ccm ss-25 with a feedneck and stock feed

craltal
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
You could also look for older sheridan or nelson clone pumps. Cockers are basically sheridan based and phantoms are nelson based. I picked up a nelson clone and bought a "stocker feed tube" from Palmer's so I have a stick feed for it, but it can be replaced with an elbow for a hopper. I also have a 12g bucket changer that can be replaced by a tank if needed. All told, I have about 80% of the performance of a phantom for less than $100, and most of that was the feed tube and bucker changer

Look on mcarterbrown.com and do some research on vintagerex.com as to what's out there.

http://idisk.mac.com/cral/Public/Mine/WARRIOR.JPG

captian pinky
06-08-2006, 10:21 AM
or u can pick up a cheap cocker buy a new $40 pump kit and make ur own feed and buy a 12gram changer and ur donefor about 200 total tops

Oldest Sage
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Can't believe no one suggest getting a Mag pump kit. Takes about 15 min to convert from auto to pump and back. Got one, love it. Next choice would be a Phantom...any configuration.

hobbesTZ
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM

I'm thinking about going to the one in Mass in August. Truth be told, I really just want to see Anti-Flag.

And more on topic...I have both a Sniper II and a Sterling and I like them both a lot. I run both of them with constant air and a regular hopper. I also have an old nelson clone that get's the job done nicely, though I can't aim at all when I use Nelsons.

minimag03
06-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Can't believe no one suggest getting a Mag pump kit. Takes about 15 min to convert from auto to pump and back. Got one, love it. Next choice would be a Phantom...any configuration.

The mag isn't the best choice if he wants to play stock class. Thats if he can find a pump kit.

bentothejam1n
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Get a T stock. It helps you keep on target when pumping

Dark Frost17
06-08-2006, 12:25 PM
best pump kits for cockers?

behemoth
06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
best pump kits for cockers?

CCM or WWA, WGP dont make them anymore.

peewee
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I use a VSC Phantom but bought a RF gravity breech for regular play. In truth I use it more than the SC breech. The only option for a sniper type with sc & standard feed is the SS25 from CCM. Great marker. Phantoms can be a little on the light side for some people.

captian pinky
06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
i have 2 sniper2s a pump mag and used to own a phantom and tigershark
i believe that for weight the phantom is awesome but if it isnt setup right it will be bad i do still like them though
pump magis hard to find parts for and will end up totaling more than either phnatom or sniper 2 i suggested building a sniper2
because cockers can run ascheap as 30 bux for a body or even 90 for a whole gun it i0s easily upgradeable easy to understand the function of parts in the gun and overall cheap there are plenty of guides around and im sure that someone will help you if you need that much help

Dark Frost17
06-08-2006, 04:54 PM
good pump kit for cocker? :confused:

jsdatjsd
06-08-2006, 05:10 PM
- Go with a smaller tank, and a 45 rnd hopper, or something.

Ha ha...my first gun was a cci pump, I had a 200 round hopper on the top, and I carried 2 pods.

I rocked.

At hell survivors in MI, I regularly took on players with semis.

THen, I did one of the ten dumbest things I ever did. I got rid of the pump and bought a stock spyder.

Ugh.

JD

paintman1234
06-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Run. A Lot. Learn How to snap shoot.

But for gun choices, phantoms are sweet but hard to get used to coming from semi, if you go with a phantom buy a stock, otherwise I would suggest a sniper

going_home
06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
good pump kit for cocker? :confused:

I just got a super price on a CCM SS25 from AO'er LuisV .
I chose it over the Phantom because I can use all my cocker barrels
and because it will take a standard hopper.
He is a CCM dealer and probably can give you better prices than the CCM site.

Heres Chipleymachines website with the pump page up :

http://www.chipleymachine.com/store/index.php?cPath=61&osCsid=0a199fe484eb8c91ea35354bb51a552c

EDIT: Heres a couple pics:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/?action=view&current=b2326881.jpg

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/?action=view&current=a7f72ac2.jpg

yingyang
06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Alot of people saying start big, such as C/A or 50 rd hoppers. But I went straight from a semi to a VSC phantom. I played pump for about a year a loved it, especially my paint bill, used about a 160rd pod per day. My advice is, dont be discouraged if you miss a shot, or get owned. Keep trying and learn from your mistakes and pump play makes you a much better player, teaches you how to be agressive and watch yourself.

Try www.Stockclasspaintball.com they have alot of helpful articles and their fourm is super helpful.

docscott
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM
VSC phantom is awesome. I bought one, my son wouldn't let me use it, so I bought another. My second son took that, so I just bought my third. I like VSC because its so ow profile. For casual play, get a 3.5oz CO2 tank. A full tank is about 250-300 shots, easily a full day of play, and they're only about $25, a big savings in cost over 12gms.

Phantoms are fun to shoot. When I got mine, I set up a range in my yard, and I've put over 4500 balls through them just target shooting. With a little practice, you can hit a swinging soda can at 75' with a snap shot. Stick with the stock barrel. I've got one stock and one nickel, not really any difference in performance. Be sure to get a set of detent rings, $6 as rollouts are frustrating.

Check out stockclasspaintball.com. The site hasn't been updated in a while, but has good info.
And order directly from Mike Cassidy at phantomonline.com. He makes them, and is a nice guy. He'll be able to give you some good advice.

Scott

Jaan
06-10-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm thinking about going to the one in Mass in August. Truth be told, I really just want to see Anti-Flag.You should go to Fox 4 Paintball in July for a private pump game put on by the field. More info at their forums. The last one was really fun.

Personally, I'd say go with a pump 'Cocker for now, especially if you already have a 'Cocker. They're pretty cheap these days. That way you can slowly make the transition to pure stock. Also, if you're lucky some fields let you play for cheap if you play a regular day with a pump. At my home field it's only $10 to play with a pump.

hobbesTZ
06-10-2006, 01:00 AM
You should go to Fox 4 Paintball in July for a private pump game put on by the field. More info at their forums. The last one was really fun.

Personally, I'd say go with a pump 'Cocker for now, especially if you already have a 'Cocker. They're pretty cheap these days. That way you can slowly make the transition to pure stock. Also, if you're lucky some fields let you play for cheap if you play a regular day with a pump. At my home field it's only $10 to play with a pump.

I'll consider it if you consider attending one of OSG's (osgpaintball.com) pump days :)

braaatz
06-10-2006, 06:05 AM
I'll consider it if you consider attending one of OSG's (osgpaintball.com) pump days :)
Nice, I'm building an automag pump now to play at OSG.
Hope to se you there sometime. :headbang:

hobbesTZ
06-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Nice, I'm building an automag pump now to play at OSG.
Hope to se you there sometime. :headbang:

The next pump day is the 24th. If your pump mag isn't complete by then you should come up anyway, we have plenty of spare pump guns.

Jaan
06-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I'll consider it if you consider attending one of OSG's (osgpaintball.com) pump days :)Hell yeah I'll consider it ... the biggest thing that would keep me away would be money. I have a 454 in my truck, so gas money becomes a significant factor. If you know anyone who lives in Southeastern Mass and wants to car pool let me know (c:

Blaze Ya Dead Homie
06-11-2006, 08:22 AM
phantom or pgp and you cant go wrong

hobbesTZ
06-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Hell yeah I'll consider it ... the biggest thing that would keep me away would be money. I have a 454 in my truck, so gas money becomes a significant factor. If you know anyone who lives in Southeastern Mass and wants to car pool let me know (c:

I don't know of anyone, but you can check/post in the Mass section of StockClassPaintball.com to see if anyone lives near you.