PDA

View Full Version : which mask

MoeMag
06-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Spurred by the profiler thread that just popped up, and my little shopping spree last night, I think I will ask the AO community for their opinions.

Last night I was looking to buy a new mask and found myself unable to settle on one mask. To temporarily end the frustration I just bought a 45/45. Anyway these are the three masks that I am looking to get.

Profiler- I like it because of excellent field of vision both peripheral and vertical. Not to mention being very comfortable.

JT Proflex- good peripheral but the vertical is lacking. I like the new color frames and bottoms for them and I was thinking of a black mask with white or green bottoms. I figure these things are the tried and true classic, so maybe it would be worth it for that.

Avatar vents-okay aside from these things looking uber sci-fi they are not all that bad. Unfortunately the field of vision is equivalent to that of the proflex, but they will cost as much if not less than the proflex by the time I am done with getting the bottoms.

Most importantly to me is being able to breath. I have had the I3’s and proto masks and really hate them because after a long haul in the woods it feels like I am trying to breath with a bag over my head. So which of these are good in that aspect.

So what are everyone’s opinions about these masks? I have already asked all the folks I work with, and my store sponsored teams (We took 3 in div 3 NPPL Tampa!!!) and I still cannot decide.

paintman1234
06-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I love my flex's but i had to vote vents (assuming I had unlimited funds)

A friend of mine just got some and they look really nice, I will probly end up picking up some white ones

but if your on a budget i would definatly go with the jt's

MoeMag
06-10-2006, 12:05 PM
No budget. That being said NO E-vents; they are the same as the avatars but w/soft ears. Not worth the extra $$$ for a name.

I was actually looking to spend around $90 for the JT's w/ the white or green bottoms. So the avatars would actually be cheaper in my case at $80

How are the avatars as far as breathing? Doesn’t look like too much ventilation down there.

Corbet
06-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I voted vents just because they're damn sexy. My friend has one and the googles are very easy to take out.

I wish I woulda got a pair over my i3s

paintman1234
06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
from what i can see, because the avaitar is similar to the profiler because it gets thin on the bottem by your chin i think it would be pretty easy to breath, it also sticks out a little ways from your chin so you have more room for air in there

But I do like the looks of the new frames on the proflexs, I like the black mask with the neon green frame

peewee
06-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Best bang for buck in my book is JT.

HuD1Ni
06-10-2006, 04:30 PM
profilers... all -o-de-way

onedude36
06-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I run a spectra now. I Cant breathe in profilers, and now that it is summer time, I needed a better breathing mask. I dont like the soft ears on proflexes though. I couldnt take too many to the side of the head without really hurting.

Chuffinator
06-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I run a spectra now. I Cant breathe in profilers, and now that it is summer time, I needed a better breathing mask. I dont like the soft ears on proflexes though. I couldnt take too many to the side of the head without really hurting.

I just went from a Spectra to Vent and if you want breathability, go with the Flex. I like the low profile of the Vent, but feels like breathing in a sauna. I'm ultimately going to have to put some holes of my own in the mask. Or at least dremel some of the breathing vents a little bigger.

MoeMag
06-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I think that the vents are out of the running.
So it is down to the profiler and the proflex.

So the profiler offers greater vision than proflex.
But the proflex has better breathability < Is that a word?.

Which will it be… most likely the profilers.

EDIT:
Wow this is a tough call now... all three masks have the same number of votes!?
I guess I don't feel so bad with my indecision.

magman007
06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
btw, the vents have the BEST field of vision on the market, if that is what is important, then go with the vents. Also, the vents are made to be the best breathing mask out there, it may not look like it, but thats because all other masks on the market have the bereathing holes in the incorrect spots. also the vetns are apparently awesome with glasses.

ttink
06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
I use flexes, and honestly, the range of vertical vision does not affect my play at all. In my opinion, it is perfectly adequate. They are also very easy to breath in (as well as yell out of to call to teamates), as opposed to my JT enforcers. The only negative i have for the flexes is lense changing. I have two lenses (mirror for sunny days, clear for everything else), and when i want to change them, it takes me about five minutes. Honestly, it is not as bad as most say it is, but im pretty sure it is much easier on the profilers and vents. I wouldnt see the need to change lenses very often anyways though, because clear lenses work good for just about every situation. the only reason i have the mirrored lense is because it was free. good luck with your decision though.

Lohman446
06-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I like my vents. I do notice that when I take them off after a game that I breath hard, but do not notice a problem wtih them on.

The profilers I had for a year allowed too many balls to flex in, it seemed I constantly had a broken lip.

Walrus
06-12-2006, 07:46 AM
I will throw out my $.02 since I have tried all of them one, but unfortunately haven't got to play in all of them. I am a larger guy, so my head is thankfully proportioned to my body. My chin would barely stick out below the Vents and the Profiler. The JT is the only one that gave enough coverage. However, I got away from the JT because like you with your IR3's, I couldn't breath well out of them and went for the Proto Switch. I seems that the breathability was better, but as you have stated you had difficulties. The new Proflex masks have more ventilation, so that would be the best way for you to go if you are looking for coverage and breathability.

MoeMag
06-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Looks like the profilers have won at ~40% of the votes.
Thanks yall!

-any more info is of course welcome

SpitFire1299
06-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Events! I tried phantom_mags on and ever since wanted a pair. :headbang: