PDA

View Full Version : idea on introducing newbies to "the pain"

Jotsy
06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
a while back while my freinds and I were playing at our field (literally our field, we own and run it) with a couple of newbies. it was their first time playing paintball ever and they were just kids so we turned the velocity limit down for the day and of course went through the whole "keep your masks on" lecture.

despite that tho, after getting shot, one of them still jumped up and pulled his mask off claiming he couldn't breathe. we immediately stopped the game and made everybody go safe, but since we were playing speedball, there were quite a lot of balls flying through the air and i swear, that couple of seconds between him pulling off his mask and everybody realizing it and stop shooting were the longest couple of seconds i've had in a while. he sat out the rest of the day and we concluded that he just couldn't take the pain.

which brings me to the point of this thread. since that incident, i've been toying with the idea of making every newbie to the field take a shot before playing in a real game. i'm talking about a single shot into the chest or thigh (i find that thigh shots hurt more often than others), with a mask on (of course). i know it sounds cruel, but the idea is to give them an idea of the kind of pain a paintball hit is like, and i'd rather them feel it in a controlled environment rather than on the field during a game against someone with an itchy trigger finger.

what do you guys think?

CKY_Alliance
06-10-2006, 03:30 PM
When i got my first paintball gun i had my stepd-dad shoot me from about 15 +- feet away right in the thigh where its nice and tender, ever since then it hasnt really hurt, but of course in game there is adrenaline pumping so it hurts even less then standing there aticipating a hit...it could work because they will know what to expect and it wont shock them, then again it could scare them..now that i think about it this is what i did with my cousin who is probably one of the wussiest(?) kids ever and he still wanted to play.ehh i dun know

mobsterboy
06-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Tell them that if they do just so happen to rip their masks off, they will be running the line right after the game is concluded, or paying a ridiculous amount of money as a fine. I might joke around when playing, but a lack of respect for safety is my pet peeve. Everyone that plays with me, on field or outlaw, knows that if you rip off your mask midgame, you might as well pack it up and go home cuz Im gonna chew you out so bad youll wish you had thought twice. Its not about "rule nazi"ing, its just that losing an eyeball is no laughing matter

geekwarrior
06-10-2006, 04:48 PM
its hard to get noobs to keep the mask on, especially if they get goggled. We had a kid come play with us, he got goggled, and took off his mask. Walking out he took one about an inch under his eye. I yelled at him so much afterwards that he started to cry. (he was like 13) I didnt feel the least bit bad about making him cry. We had stressed at the beginning of the day to keep you mask on no matter what. Three games later he did it again. I took his gun from him (he was borrowing mine) and told him he couldnt play anymore. I will never invite the kid again, it's not worth the risk.

As for introducing noobs to the pain, what we try to do is let all the noobs play a game by themselves first, with 2 expereinced players coaching each team. That only works if you have 4 of them or so, but it eases them into the game a little.

Dark Frost17
06-10-2006, 05:23 PM
i like the idea of having a game just for the new people with experienced people helping coaching and what ever....
or put them in a game with a bunch of pump players.... :D
I am 1 of those people who loves to help the newbies and get shot a lot while doing so....but they learn....as long as they follow the rules and keep there mask on i don't yell.... :headbang:

minimag03
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't see anything wrong with offering to shoot a first timer before they pay. Don't take their money, shoot them in the leg, and make them hobble away.

bleachit
06-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I made my sister go into our back yard with her mask on.. she put several layers of clothes on, then I got my PGP and emptied it on her as she ran around the backyard. not only was it awesome to watch my sister run around in pain as I shot her... it helped her to get in the game..

great idea to get them the introduction.

Dark Frost17
06-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I made my sister go into our back yard with her mask on.. she put several layers of clothes on, then I got my PGP and emptied it on her as she ran around the backyard. not only was it awesome to watch my sister run around in pain as I shot her... it helped her to get in the game..

great idea to get them the introduction.

:rofl: :shooting: :rofl:
to funny

bleachit
06-11-2006, 12:09 AM
she was asking for it since she was 2 years old...

Maggot6
06-11-2006, 06:30 AM
That is what I do with people wanting to go paintballing with me, put 'em in my backyard, a good 30 feet away and shoot them once in the chest / body area... I think you'd be doing the kids who go to your place a favour if you asked them to sign a wee waver before paying the money saying "I'm gonna get shot once from XX feet away before I pay" and then do it.

Lohman446
06-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I can remember thinking the first game of the season a year ago as I hear the balls whipping by me. "This is going to hurt, why do I play this stupid game" Its not like I was new at the time either.

warbeak2099
06-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I think it;s a good idea. Let them know what it feels like so they aren't surprised and disoriented when they get hit on the field. I wish someone ahd done it for me. No one would agree to do it though. I had to wait till I was on the field.

punkncat
06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Before I considered actually playing I walked about 15 foot from a friend and had him shoot me in the back. I wanted to know what it felt like first.

If not that....which is not an entirely bad idea...what we do is ask that a guardian be with the player the first game or two. Not only a family member, but another experianced player to stand with the first timer and be sure they follow the safety rules and don't get torn up.

Jonno06
06-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Definitly a good idea, although ive NEVER seen someone actually rip off their mask during a game because they couldnt take the pain though.

That kid better never get in a fight, he'd die.

SpitFire1299
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I dont think they should take a shot before they play because then they wont move up and will be scared to get hit. If on the first game they move up, etc. then they understand more about "I dont get hit if i hit you" kind of thing.

PnueMagger
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Good Idea. I agree with that.

First time I ever played was 2 on 2 outlaw 10 years ago. My friend said discretely, "hey - go over there and I'll shoot you once so you know." But my two other freinds heard him whisper it to me and loaded their guns as fast as possible.

I got hit once and I bent over cursing. It hurt. Then the two others jumped out and proceeded to unload their hoppers on me as I was curled up on the ground. Just had t-shirts and shorts cause I didn't know cause I was a newb. We chronoed the guns shortly after. The two prolites were shooting around 410fps.

One was using a 68 Automag Classic. I was Honored.

maxama10
06-11-2006, 11:11 AM
OWWW that hurts! Imagine that on my face! *rips off mask* :tard: I never ripped off mine when I first played. Everyone was warned profusely about it and everyone did what they were told. Ive never seen it happen personally. Does it happen that often?

-Commander-
06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
This is a great idea, spread the word to your field owners.

If you need any support convincing them, I believe there was an article a while back about a kid loosing an eye after taking his mask off in the backyard and his gun misfired when he looked down the barrel. If that doesn't work, ask them to imagine what the insurance increase would be for an incident like that if it were to occur at their field, that'll get 'em...

Thanks,
-Commander-

stop whining buy a mag
06-11-2006, 12:23 PM
It would turn a lot of n00bs off it they had to be shot before their day even starts. The best thing to do is get some n00bs together and have them play a quick game. Once they realize it doesn't hurt then they won't have a problem. As far as kids ripping their masks off, it has nothing to do with pain. They do it because they forget or don't think about losing an eye. You just can't stop n00bs from doing this. Even people that have played several times do it. A friend and I were reffing in a local scenario game and we were assigned to ref the "beach". It was essentially an open field with plenty of bunkers spread out. Sometimes we'd get 60 or 70 people up there and one guy decides to stand up and rip his mask off. My friend ran screaming over to him but the guy still did not listen. Both of us tackled him and he wasn't too happy about it.

You can't fix stupid.

topazpaintball
06-11-2006, 12:32 PM
It hurts a lot more when they know its coming. Don't line up like a firing squad :rofl:

I say just assign them a "buddy" for them to tag along with during games, and to jump on him if he takes his mask off (whiteboard style :p )

ttink
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
We did this thing at a field here called Gettysburg. The two teams line up facing each other a fair distance apart (but close enough so the paintballs can break), and then each person on one side takes ONE shot at the other line, then takes a big step forward. Both lines alternate going back and forth. When you get hit, you sit down where you were hit and you dont have to move anymore. If you take more than one shot, you get punished (i forget wut they did). But we did this with some first timers and things seemed to be alright when they were hit one the field.

Toll
06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I've had kids start flailing around and grabbing their limps and whining while I was working which sucked (because I thought they were really hurt) and yes, I could definately see a 10 year old getting smoked in the solarplex and not being able to breath.

Personally as soon as we start the day we take them to the "bus" area. Basically it's a mid distance area where there are two old school busses. 90% of the time they stay around their bus and are hit at a decent range to acclimate them to the sensation of getting hit. The ones that stay in the bus tend to get bunkered and also get acclimated....harshly.

Imo, anyone younger than 15 shouldn't be on the field without a "practice shot" from the owner or refs just because of "odd" instances.

Loco_AEXY
06-12-2006, 11:28 AM
This is a great idea, and basically the way I got my wife to play the first time. We had arrived really early to the field and one of the refs let just me and her go out so she could get comfortable with the marker. We played 1-on-1 for a couple games and I let her get me out while I shot around her, then after I saw she had a good handle on the shooting aspect, I snuck around and got her in the side. All it did was make her want to get right back out on the field and shoot more people! (mainly me!)

I think the worst thing is waiting for that first hit. Once it is over with, most people tend to loosen up a lot more becuase they know what to expect.

bleachit
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
maybe give the parents of the minors the option to shoot/get shot so they know what it feels like and are responsible for shooting their own kids...

SureLockRTPro
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
i think every noob should get kicked in the crotch thirteen times and have a minimum of two fingers broken to play. and after that they still have to have their mask ducttaped to their head for a full 24 hours before their allowed to even look at a gun....

-donald

-j/k

ttink
06-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I think the worst thing is waiting for that first hit. Once it is over with, most people tend to loosen up a lot more becuase they know what to expect.
Ya, thats true, i remeber my first game when i got hit. It was right on the wrist, baby blue fill. I do remember after that though i was not as scared to get hit.

mag_lover05
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
whoever said to put em' in a game with pump players, you are retarded, yes i admit we play very honerably and safely. BUT, well, atleast for me, i know i aim for whatever is sticking out, and in a pump game, its always the head/face. i know its not great, but most of the players are very experienced and dont stick out their body, and there is no hopper to hit (we play stock class). so that would NOT be a good idea for da nubs'

PumpPlayer
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
It's not a "retarded" suggestion. What playing pump does is to help prevent overshooting. Also, many young players today have no idea what they're doing with a pump and play very sloppy (not that they don't play sloppy with a semi- either). I would argue that for the average walk-on player today, putting a pump marker in their hands would make it much easier for a new player to shoot them out.

If it was 100% new players, pump-only would be a great idea, though it does make the equipment a little more difficult to operate. Many fields have non-motorized hoppers for their rentals. This works better, IMO. The idea is just to limit the ROF so that the kids don't overshoot each other. Stress that one hit is enough.

You shouldn't ever mix first-timers with regular walk-on guys unless its logistically inadvisable. A few examples might be if there's not enough new players or walk-ons to field a full game or if there's only one field for everyone to play on. In these instances, the refs should really look out for the new players... not that any experienced players worth their salt shouldn't be looking out for them as well.

Having the new players take a mandatory hit isn't fair. It needs to be in the context of a game or it'll be interpreted as abuse. A good suggestion, and one that works quite well, is to simply have the kids "duel" for the first few minutes of the day. You get one round each, 20 paces counted by the ref, turn and fire. If you both miss, you do it again with just 15 paces, then 10 and so on. With a group of 20 kids with two or three refs, this should only take a few minutes and the kids will enjoy it. It gives them a huge adrenaline rush starting at about pace 17 or so and they know that no matter what, they're only going to be hit one time at the most.

In the end, though, if you're a ref and you have a safety violation that serious (lifting a mask during a game), don't bother trying to change policy, make your safety brief more effective and be more mindful about constant reminders throughout the day. The players' safety is your first responsibility. You're dealing with kids; don't blame them for being wusses.

Oh, and playing at a lower velocity (unless you mean real low, like 200) doesn't make it less painful. At lower velocites, you'll get more bounces which means that it'll hurt more and you'll get shot more before you're eliminated. 260-285 is a fine speed to play at for new players, just don't allow bunkering. If you're on a commercial rec field shooting over 285 (and thus in violation of the insurance policy), you're a real jerk.

jsdatjsd
06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
At the local field, which I only played once 2 years ago (splatter park, ohio) they didn't allow opponents to approach more than about 20 feet or closer. It was REALLY annoying.

The second time I played, I played with a pump (first time a tippy rental). I thought i had a guy bunkered, and he had a semi, and I turned the corner. I got hit 5 TIMES. THree shots form a yard away and two more from about 6 feet. THe one that realy hurt was on the inner thigh.

That being said, it just made me want to play more. Limping of cvourse. For a couple weeks.

But keeping a buffer zone of 15-20 feet for noobs is a really good idea I think.

ALso, I am one of those stupiud kids, 9 years ago, that lifted my mask just a quarter inch. I was fogging. I thought there was a difference between removing it, and carefully lifting it a quarter inch ot let air in.

I was wrong and I was sidelined. ANd, to this day, I am thankful for the thoughtful ref who yelled at me and sidelined me for a game. It could have been much harsher.

And that is why, when I finally get my new stuff, im gonna get a goggle fan. Even with a JT spectra, I got foggy glasses.

JD

This was my ref that pulled me==>:cuss:
Thank you ref for yanking me off the game when I did a dumb thing.

Toll
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Refs are hard on the folks, but it's for their own good/the ref's own good (as no on wants to lose a job)

Everyone was that stupid kid once (probably) but it's all good so far as you dont do it again

REDRT
06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I once had to drag a balling kid off the field. Got hit in the head a few times, but atleast he had brains enough to leave his mask on! The news tells me muders are up in the mid-west. I believe it to. I'd sure like to strangle people everyday. Leave your mask on, leave your mask on, why are you turning blue, leave your mask on...

y0da900
06-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that dropping the speed too much will only make it more likely for a ball to break and end up hurting that much more. If they are using a known quality, fragile paint, it could work wonderfully, but I can see someone dropping the speed too low using 3 year old brass eagle paint from walmart and dropping like a rock when it doesnt break.

slateman
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Eh, that seems a little excessive.

Just tell the guy his day is done. Honestly, if he can't breath with a mask on, he is either lieing or he has asthma. Either way, his day should be done.

REDRT
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Painball newbs are becoming more and more like pansies. What ever happend to the days of BB gun wars and the shotgun loaded with rock salt? I tell yeah. The whole world and not just the paintball world is becoming weak. It would be a better place if there was less sensitivity and more butt kicking.

Jotsy
06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
It would be a better place if there was less sensitivity and more butt kicking.

hear hear! :clap:

i think what happened was he got beaned in the chest a couple of times, and then thought he was having a heart attack or something. to be honest, i think he was one of those kids who grew up with all sorts of medical issues. you know the kind, always with their allergy medication and/or inhalers.

REDRT
06-14-2006, 04:01 PM

i think what happened was he got beaned in the chest a couple of times, and then thought he was having a heart attack or something. to be honest, i think he was one of those kids who grew up with all sorts of medical issues. you know the kind, always with their allergy medication and/or inhalers.

Ahh yes, bubble boy...

Team VeNoM
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Whenever i ref there is always someone who will lift or take off there mask even tho we have a safety breafing in the morning where the head ref stresses the need to keep it on, first time is a warning (unless mask is completely taken off) then after that they sit out and one more time they are ejected from the feild,.. the kids that play there are usaully pretty good about leaving there masks on and so on the off chance you eject one from the field ther rest become litle angels becuase they now know your not kidding...explaining things to kids doesnt do much, they dont listen and so if one gives you the necesary reason to take action, make him an example................And as for either of you thinking your tough :)

Look me up....anyone for a game of ironman :shooting: :clap:

Lohman446
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM

I suggest those of you who think this is not at all serious look at ventricular fibrillation and how it relates to young adults in sports. Granted most of the time its related to baseball type injuries but I suggest we not take this too lightly in paintball either. Do I think it might ever occur? I think the risk is extremely minimal and within acceptable ranges. That being said whenever I see someone hit in the chest behaving "wrongly" it concerns me.

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 07:44 PM
I suggest those of you who think this is not at all serious look at ventricular fibrillation and how it results to young adults in sports. Granted most of the time its related to baseball type injuries but I suggest we not take this too lightly in paintball either. Do I think it might ever occur? I think the risk is extremely minimal and within acceptable ranges. That being said whenever I see someone hit in the chest behaving "wrongly" it concerns me.

Mebbe youingsters should be required to wear chest shell armor. Have a bunch of batman look-alikes running around the field.

:dance: