PDA

View Full Version : bulk scuba tanks

slayer
12-21-2001, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone,
I was just talking with my friend and found out that there is a scuba shop about as far away as the nearest paintball shop to fill compressed air. So naturally I immediately became very interested in getting a scuba tank or larger for refilling my flatlines.
So my first question is: Where should I buy the scuba tank online,ebay, or at the shop.
Second: are there any inherent risks in storing high pressure gas, other than the fact that if the valve is knocked off it turns into a huge missile
Third: do I need any certification to get a tank filled even if I am using it for paintball and not diving.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Magic37220
12-21-2001, 11:21 AM
First off, I would buy your tank at the local shop for several reasons: 1) they might give you a discount on refills (ours gave us 10 free fills after we bought it) 2) They'd probably be more willing to service it for you

As for the special licenses, I have a scuba diving license, so thats how I got mine, but many stores have you fill out a form stating that your only using it for paintball (they might charge a bit more for fills as a result)

Griffin
12-21-2001, 12:35 PM
My friend who is 15 has a scuba tank of CO2 and we're just kids so I doubt any certification is needed. I wouldn't take my word for it though..

-Griffin

rhetor22
12-21-2001, 12:48 PM
those are co2 tanks- and the kid's dad refills them, not him. He may have scuba certification, i'm not sure.

Paintballer86
12-21-2001, 12:49 PM
Tell me about missles. One got it's valve knocked off at my best friends moms work. It wen through 6 cement walls 2 1/2 feet each. It was an 80 cubic foot tank

cphilip
12-21-2001, 12:52 PM
A CO2 tank is not a SCUBA. You don't want to breath CO2 its an asphyxiate gas. You can buy or rent those from your welding supply house and they refill them. No certification needed.

Divers Direct is a good online place for them if you can't get a deal local. Get the 80 cubic foot 3300 PSI Aluminum Neutral Buoyancy tank for about $160 delivered to your door. A lot more places are filling for Paintballers now with a signed waiver. Expect them to enforce the Hydro dating and annual visuals on them.

Yes they could be dangerous if you kncok the thing over or get them too hot. No storing in hot car or place always strap them upright to store like any other cylinder to avoid knock over and have them tested regularly. Put a boot and a valve protector on them to minimize tip over and protect the valve. Annual visual and five year hydro.

toymyster
12-21-2001, 01:39 PM
Yes, if you do not store the tank properly, that is, if you don't lay it flat, it could fall and the valve could get knocked off, then you have a torpedo that will go through cement walls!!! However, I've been a diver since 1989 and have had my tank since '90, and I can tell you it is perfectly safe!!! As always, safety relies with the user!!!

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
12-21-2001, 01:52 PM
I know someone who has 2.
His AIM is emudcats34

slayer
12-22-2001, 10:42 AM
thanks everyone. I will check with my "local" (it is 50 minutes away by car, but still faster and I am sure less expensive than 5.00 per 3000 psi fill, and a 35 minute drive) shop. Cheers and happy holidays.
-Slayer

Phil
12-22-2001, 02:23 PM
Ask the local scuba store if they have used tanks for sale. I bought mine used from my scuba shop for 80 bucks. I told em it was for paintball and I never signed anything. I bought a fill card and consequently fills are $1.50.

rhetor22
12-22-2001, 03:43 PM
how many fills would you get off a scuba tank? How much does it cost to compress the tank?

openboater
12-22-2001, 08:42 PM
I bought my new tank locally for $139 and that included 10 refils. refils are $5 or I buy a card of 10 fills for $40.

Some local shops only fill for divers but more and more are filling for paintballers.

Buy locally, my local shop told me how they hate it when guys buy over the net and then expect favors, as in they don't get any.

toymyster
12-22-2001, 10:50 PM
I agree, definitely buy your tank from your local shop!!!