PDA

View Full Version : Do fiber wrapped N2 tanks shrink when they are 100% empty?

The Mag Man
12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
I heard this from a friend; just thought i'd confirm to see if it was true.

Magic37220
12-21-2001, 01:31 PM
Never heard that, but people usually keep some air in their tanks to keep moisture out which corrodes the tank from the inside.

The Mag Man
12-21-2001, 01:35 PM
Wow that has to be some kind of record for quickest responce! Thanks. And i'll keep that moisture problem in mind.

PyRo
12-21-2001, 01:37 PM
They expand slightly when filled.

brett
12-21-2001, 02:32 PM
yeah you usually want to keep 100 to 500psi so moisture doesnt get in
and they do expand when filled its 3000 4500 psi thats a lot of pressure against those walls

the JoKeR
12-21-2001, 02:49 PM
Not sure I understand how keeping a few hundred pounds pressure in the tank keeps moisture out. Seems to me the moisture would be there anyway. Plus, since water isn't a compressable fluid, I'd assume you'd have the same volume of water regardless of what pressure you have in your tank. My air compressor has the same issue, although with a much larger tank. It is equipped with a drain valve in the bottom just to drain water that forms as the air is compressed into the tank (which is why I have a moisture trap on the hose line). If this were all accurate (I've been close before!), wouldn't the best way to store the tank be to invert it and bleed pressure to remove excess moisture?

animal
12-21-2001, 03:09 PM
Naw, it would be much better to use it so much you need not "store" it for any period of time :)

Hence why I spend so much time/cash playing, it's not because I love the game so much, it's because I don't want to have to worry about storing my tank ;)

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by the JoKeR
Not sure I understand how keeping a few hundred pounds pressure in the tank keeps moisture out. Seems to me the moisture would be there anyway. Plus, since water isn't a compressable fluid, I'd assume you'd have the same volume of water regardless of what pressure you have in your tank. My air compressor has the same issue, although with a much larger tank. It is equipped with a drain valve in the bottom just to drain water that forms as the air is compressed into the tank (which is why I have a moisture trap on the hose line). If this were all accurate (I've been close before!), wouldn't the best way to store the tank be to invert it and bleed pressure to remove excess moisture?

There wouldn't be mositure in there in the first place if you kept your tank filled with about 600 psi because the water has no way to get in, it would be forced out.

the JoKeR
12-21-2001, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by FooTemps
There wouldn't be mositure in there in the first place if you kept your tank filled with about 600 psi because the water has no way to get in, it would be forced out.

Air contains moisture (humidity). Forcing air into a paintball tank doesn't remove it, but puts it in a confined space. 600 psi or 6000 psi, it's there. Look at it this way... if you take 100 cubit feet of air from outside and push it into your air tank, you now have all that air PLUS all the moisture that air held in your tank. Moisture can't be "forced" out of a sealed tank unless you depress the valve to let the air out.

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by the JoKeR

Air contains moisture (humidity). Forcing air into a paintball tank doesn't remove it, but puts it in a confined space. 600 psi or 6000 psi, it's there. Look at it this way... if you take 100 cubit feet of air from outside and push it into your air tank, you now have all that air PLUS all the moisture that air held in your tank. Moisture can't be "forced" out of a sealed tank unless you depress the valve to let the air out.

oh yeah... does this apply for nitrogen too?

the JoKeR
12-21-2001, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by FooTemps
oh yeah... does this apply for nitrogen too?

Never dealt with nitrogen, but it would be my assumption that since you are not dealing with a fully closed system (air in the couplings, air in the fill lines between fills, etc) that there would be at least a small amount of regular air getting in, which would bring moisture. Past that, I don't know if nitrogen's normal properties mean it brings moisture with it or not. I'd guess not, but have no idea. Maybe somebody else can supply that info and verify I don't have cranial/anal inversion on this whole thread to begin with...

Failure
12-21-2001, 05:26 PM
nitrogen carries much less moisture than CO2 or air even(although there is N in our air)

SGTKennedy
12-21-2001, 08:01 PM
i have never seen N2 in a tank... its always hpa... they exchange the names in ads, but the tanks dont lie.

Ever seen a Submarine movie where they tie the clothesline to the sides of the hull so its tight and then go deep and the line is slack? mmmm. pressure vessel of a different type but im sure it still applies.

Magic37220
12-21-2001, 08:13 PM
Well, I dunno. Thats just what I heard from my scuba diving instructor.

DYE-BaLLeR
12-21-2001, 08:44 PM
man u guys are quoting the H E double hockey sticks outa each other

the JoKeR
12-21-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DYE-BaLLeR
man u guys are quoting the H E double hockey sticks outa each other

What do you mean?:rolleyes:

I did a little checking on the nitrogen question that really had little to do with this original post, and my source agreed with me and then told me to shut up. Nitrogen is also used, I'm told, by airlines in the tires of jets specifically to avoid excess moisture inside the tires. Live and learn. Impress your friends.

DYE-BaLLeR
12-21-2001, 11:57 PM
there were 4 quotes

the JoKeR
12-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by DYE-BaLLeR
there were 4 quotes

Thanks for the update!:D

DYE-BaLLeR
12-22-2001, 10:33 AM
u asked whats that mean i just said it

the JoKeR
12-22-2001, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I know. My sarcasm meter must not have been working that day.
Dang, I forgot to quote you on this one....! Maybe next time. :)

kutter
12-23-2001, 09:59 AM
There is one thing that everyone is forgetting. If you use compressed air from a scuba tank or a scuba compressor then it does not contain the normal percentage of humidity found in the air for the area in which you live.

The compressors remove moisture specifically for the purpose of tank preservation. If you scuba dive then you know this from the nasty dry mouth you get from diving.

That is why if you keep some pressure in the tank then it will keep the additional moisture outside the tank, outside the tank.

Failure
12-23-2001, 10:40 AM
very good example.

FaSSt
12-23-2001, 05:42 PM
The overpressure also keeps DIRT out.

PyRo
12-24-2001, 01:54 PM
It won't be a noticable amount, a couple thousands of an inch if that.

jurassic
12-25-2001, 11:48 AM
Another reason the airlines keep nitrogen in the tires is that it is a nonflammable gas.