PDA

View Full Version : Ack.. this changes my preseason NFL picks

Lohman446
06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
http://sports.aol.com/news/articles/_a/steelers-roethlisberger-hurt-in-accident/20060612123009990001

Roethlisberger hurt in motorcylce accident - sounds pretty severe

Ole Unka Phil
06-12-2006, 01:25 PM
The dumbass still probably will not wear a helmet...

MicroMiniMe
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Isn't some wide reciever back this year after rehabbing last year from a near death motorcycle accident. Cleveland or something, 1st round pick too I think.

Muzikman
06-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, no helmet. I say it's karma coming up to bite him, but then again, it was bound to happen.

kosmo
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Minime, Clevelands WR coming back from knee injury is Braylon Edwards. Their tight end Kellen Winslow Jr is the one who got in the motorcycle accident.

MicroMiniMe
06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Minime, Clevelands WR coming back from knee injury is Braylon Edwards. Their tight end Kellen Winslow Jr is the one who got in the motorcycle accident.
Ah, that would be it.

Report for Ben is he was hit by a vehicle (minivan or full size car?) and was thrown into the windshield and then sent earthbound. Jaw, sinus cavity and knees took the brunt of it. Plastic surgeon called in. He must resemble a pound of hamburger more than anything.

And yes, NO HELMET.

I dont care how well you ride, someone can always run an intersection and ruin your mellon.

MicroMiniMe
06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh yes,
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198047

/Paging Oneworld
//reality check isle 7

Lohman446
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
My understanding was broken jaw, sinus cavity, possible nose? and missing the majority of his teeth - along with a lot of blood due to a very long head wound.

Knees were questionable, there are conflicting reports and most say that they were superficial wounds and nothing serious.

Although he was not wearing a helmet he was going close to the speed limit, which is probably why we still get to discuss his ability to play football again this year.

Cow hunter
06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
ive been told by motorcycle dealers,
"the day you stop bieng afraid of riding motorcycles is the day you stop."
and if you ask me, thats the smartest thing ive heard about them

BeaverEater
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I dont care how well you ride, someone can always run an intersection and ruin your mellon.

helmet or not if a car hits you its gonna hurt a lot. Yes a helmet will stop some damage but from the sounds of it ben still would of been messed up pretty good.

And yes the day you stop being afraid is when you become stupid on it, that often leads to something bad.

behemoth
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, no helmet. I say it's karma coming up to bite him, but then again, it was bound to happen.

Go Browns.

mutigerfan04
06-12-2006, 10:40 PM
he is lucky to be alive.

Grey Goose
06-13-2006, 06:12 AM
1. Wear a helmet.
2. Don't ride in metropolitan areas.

I've wanted a bike for years, but I'll never buy one as long as I live in Houston.

Consider this also further proof of these guys taking things for granted. If I had a multi-million dollar job and they suggested I wear a helmet or not ride... I wouldn't. As Bradshaw alluded to, there's time for all that stuff you "just want to" do after you retire.

Muzikman
06-13-2006, 06:58 AM
The way I look at it is, the majority of his injuries were to his head. Think about how how better shape he would be in if he was wearing a helmet.

Lohman446
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
1. Wear a helmet.
2. Don't ride in metropolitan areas.

I've wanted a bike for years, but I'll never buy one as long as I live in Houston.

Consider this also further proof of these guys taking things for granted. If I had a multi-million dollar job and they suggested I wear a helmet or not ride... I wouldn't. As Bradshaw alluded to, there's time for all that stuff you "just want to" do after you retire.

Why? The NFL does not gaurentee contracts. Do you honestly expect a multi-millionare 24 year old to always do the "smart" thing. Basically I don't do more dangerous stuff because I simply cannot afford to. Bradshaw lost all respect on people caring what he said (from a lot of people at least) when he failed to show up for pre superbowl celebrations last year. He is certainly not the example of what you should, or should not do "for the game" or even for your team when not obligated by contract.

He got lucky, theres no doubt about that, but one takes risks in everything they want to do. Yes wearing a helmet is smart, but not legally required. Do we want to get to a point where we require our athletes to all drive Volvo SUVs?

slateman
06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Isn't some wide reciever back this year after rehabbing last year from a near death motorcycle accident. Cleveland or something, 1st round pick too I think.

Hey now, he's a ****ing soldier!! :rofl:

Ole Unka Phil
06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Reports now are he was in violation of his Learners permit. Which had expired a few months ago. If the reports are correct, his status as a Learner permit, required him to wear a helmet. Even though state law allows a choice. A permit does not. At least thats a version I have heard

Missing and broken teeth, fractured jaw... mostly the serious wounds appear facial. So not just a helmet but a full face.

And not just his choice... but his requirement under the law.... expired license... reguardless.

But sounds like he coulda benifited from one in this case. Having a choice does not mean chosing NOT too all the time. It equaly allows you to chose to wear one.

punkncat
06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I find it somewhat suprizing that of all people a FOOTBALL player would be riding w/o a helmet.

How many times during games do you think that guy has had the value of head protection proven to him?

Ole Unka Phil
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Interesting that you bring that up...

Does this mean if they ALLOWED him to chose to wear one in the Football game he would chose NOT to? :wow:

FooTemps
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Karma for stealing the superbowl away from the seahawks

punkncat
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Interesting that you bring that up...

Does this mean if they ALLOWED him to chose to wear one in the Football game he would chose NOT to? :wow:

Well...its seems like the question answers itself given the info I have. Since helmets are optional where he rides and he chooses not to wear one...then I can't go on a limb and say that he would wear one during a game if he didn't have to.