PDA

View Full Version : E*TEK Ego?

SpecialBlend2786
06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Just got an email from Planet Eclipse with this

http://www.planeteclipse.com/folders/gfxxx/splash/ETEKEGO.jpg

Anyone know anything about this? Is it going to be a lower cost Ego...like the Angel Speed series?

ABTOCMEPTb
06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
It's just a cheaper ego. Less cooler milling and a cheesier frame.

EGO LITE

VFX_Fenix
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Soooo.... It's an Ego Speed then, eh?

StygShore
06-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Cheaper.... like ION cheaper or Angel Speed cheaper?

Styg

SpecialBlend2786
06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Cheaper.... like ION cheaper or Angel Speed cheaper?

Styg

I'm hoping the price difference is that of the DM6 and PM6.

Hoping.

Chronobreak
06-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm hoping the price difference is that of the DM6 and PM6.

Hoping.

that would make the most sence

Steelrat
06-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Good god, is this what paintball has come to? The same 3 or 4 companies rehashing the same ideas over and over again?

"It's like an ego, only lighter!"
"It's like an ego, only with more milling"
"It's like an ego, only with more color choices."
"It's like an ego...well, it IS an ego!"

SpecialBlend2786
06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Didnt you get the memo? This is paintball's version of marketing :D
Bwahahaha

But yeah... I guess whatever sells, right?

Someone in the loop on Pbn confirmed that it is going to compete with the PM6

FromTheBack
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
And the Cyborg owners are screaming "we have you both beat!"
...macdev needs some better publicity haha.

In regard to the Ego though it will be nice for eclipse to have a less expensive marker compared to the stock as opposed to the price only going up with other egos. More in the planet E family ;)

behemoth
06-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Im pretty sure is Macdev marketed more they would have both beat haha. Of course I don't own a cyborg but from what I have heard they are both quiet and efficient.

No, you're wrong.

They're about as loud as a .44 magnum, with the kick to match.

they get about 500 rnds off of a 68/45.

Toll
06-13-2006, 10:32 PM
A stripped down version of the Ego could sell pretty well...How many people do you know that want an ego without knowing what an ego really does better than a different marker?

It's probably the most aptly named piece of equipment I have ever laid eyes on.

FromTheBack
06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
No, you're wrong.

Ahh my bad on that, Ive heard they are extremely efficient from every 04/06 owner I have encountered and after shooting one the kick is about the same as a matrix if not less. They aren't that loud with a quiet barrel on them too. Maybe its just how they are tuned unless I have been misled by cyborg owners...

behemoth
06-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Ahh my bad on that, Ive heard they are extremely efficient from every 04/06 owner I have encountered and after shooting one the kick is about the same as a matrix if not less. They aren't that loud with a quiet barrel on them too. Maybe its just how they are tuned unless I have been misled by cyborg owners...

hahaha.

I'm feeling nice right now, so i wont string you along..

They're quiet as hell, smooth as hell, and efficent as hell.

(gomacdev.)

SpecialBlend2786
06-13-2006, 11:54 PM
hahaha.

I'm feeling nice right now, so i wont string you along..

They're quiet as hell, smooth as hell, and efficent as hell.

(gomacdev.)

There we go, Cause I was gonna say.....

/is currently petting his Sonic Borg

Lohman446
06-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Stripped down paintball marker? :confused:

These don't have AC, power windows, etc. What are you going to strip off it? Some milling?

Arstron
06-14-2006, 07:31 AM
These don't have AC, power windows, etc. What are you going to strip off it? Some milling?

Yes, this version will have no AC, no power windows or door locks, no sun roof, it wont even have a radio or HUD! This is a sneak peak of how the body will look like... btw, there will be no anno, all markers will come raw!

http://www.airsoldier.com/miscellany/merlinextrusion.jpg

All that fancy milling for only $900!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

On a side note, it will be nice to see a cheaper ego, but I still wont have one. I would still rather have one of the new fs-8's, they are a lot cheaper and get the job done just as good.

CKY_Alliance
06-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I've heard people call the proto a stripped down race gun version of the Dye matrices..well they where atleast, now they come with just about the same features, except protos don't have that PIA on/off on the front.Then you have your size differences and what not..

MarkM
06-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Im pretty sure is Macdev marketed more they would have both beat haha. Of course I don't own a cyborg but from what I have heard they are both quiet and efficient.

No, you're wrong.

Actually you are the one that is incorrect, the 06 Cyborg is one of the quietest markers I have ever used, very consistent with mininmal recoil and I was getting 8 pods and a loader off a 68/4500...and it was a preset (borrowed along with the 'borg) with an adjustable I would have been able to get better figures. It is the only marker I have used that has actually got me thinking about switching from an Angel.

Lohman446
06-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Actually you are the one that is incorrect, the 06 Cyborg is one of the quietest markers I have ever used, very consistent with mininmal recoil and I was getting 8 pods and a loader off a 68/4500...and it was a preset (borrowed along with the 'borg) with an adjustable I would have been able to get better figures. It is the only marker I have used that has actually got me thinking about switching from an Angel.

Read behomoth's next few posts, and remember it is behemoth :)

slade
06-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Good god, is this what paintball has come to? The same 3 or 4 companies rehashing the same ideas over and over again?

you forgot the bottle opener ego.

actually i think the majority of products in paintball are overrated. borgs are nice, but they have more kick than my gold bolt matrix, and arent that amazingly efficient.

behemoth
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Might wanna get your vision checked.

Teamslayer76
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Looks intresting. Wonder if it will comes with floor mats.

pachytriton
06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
There was a site selling pre-orders for $750, I lost the link though. It's somewhere in the etek thread in the paintball news forum on pbnation.

SpecialBlend2786
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
you forgot the bottle opener ego.

actually i think the majority of products in paintball are overrated. borgs are nice, but they have more kick than my gold bolt matrix, and arent that amazingly efficient.

Get the Lucky Air assist valve and the PBK ram kit for it. It'll make it much smoother, maybe not as smooth as a spool valve (TRIX) but close.

And if your borg isn't efficient and has lots of kick, then something is wrong. You might want to adjust your lpr if you arn't getting 1800+ off a 68/4500. Most people can manage to get a case off with their lpr tuned right.

slade
06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Get the Lucky Air assist valve and the PBK ram kit for it. It'll make it much smoother, maybe not as smooth as a spool valve (TRIX) but close.

And if your borg isn't efficient and has lots of kick, then something is wrong. You might want to adjust your lpr if you arn't getting 1800+ off a 68/4500. Most people can manage to get a case off with their lpr tuned right.
what, im friends with 3 other borg owners and you assume i dont know about the lucky valve and delrin ram kit? :p im cheap, its not worth it at the moment. the $40 for the ram kit seems a bit too much, ill probably end up turning my own ram. I thought about making something similar to the lucky valve a while ago, but now that the lucky valve actually exists i might just buy it instead... not yet though.

it doesnt have lots of kick, its just not nearly as nice as a trix. and the efficiency isnt that great, but im currently running the HPR at just over 200 and the LPR adjusted to set the velocity. i havent checked the dwell on the tadao, its set at whatever the last owner set it to, although i should check it soon. im lazy. either that or im just still in school.

SpecialBlend2786
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
what, im friends with 3 other borg owners and you assume i dont know about the lucky valve and delrin ram kit? :p im cheap, its not worth it at the moment. the $40 for the ram kit seems a bit too much, ill probably end up turning my own ram. I thought about making something similar to the lucky valve a while ago, but now that the lucky valve actually exists i might just buy it instead... not yet though.

it doesnt have lots of kick, its just not nearly as nice as a trix. and the efficiency isnt that great, but im currently running the HPR at just over 200 and the LPR adjusted to set the velocity. i havent checked the dwell on the tadao, its set at whatever the last owner set it to, although i should check it soon. im lazy. either that or im just still in school.

ahh, i love summer break :)

I havn't checker my tadao settings either, other then messing around with the firing modes. Actually, I havn't touched much on my sonic, the previous owner babied it after dropping as many upgrades as possible into it...so yeah.

and nonsense, I was the first to tell you of the valve and ram kit... :ninja:

MarkM
06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Might wanna get your vision checked.
Nothing wrong with my vision, I was using the Cyborg as a test gun for Macdev, the numbers don't lie, if you have used a badly set up cyborg then that's the problem this was setup extremely well, admittedly prototype software was installed but that isn't going to change the firing note nor the recoil (dwell has a slight effect on this) my only dislike of the borg is the push pin on the bolt but that is the same for me on all markers with this design as I find them fiddly to operate. The minireg was extremely good...I know this is off topic with regard the thread subject but just because you might have tried a badly setup 'borg doesn't make you right...just incorrect, if you look at the other replies since I gave my figures for air consumption I am not alone.

Steelrat
06-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Nothing wrong with my vision, I was using the Cyborg as a test gun for Macdev, the numbers don't lie, if you have used a badly set up cyborg then that's the problem this was setup extremely well, admittedly prototype software was installed but that isn't going to change the firing note nor the recoil (dwell has a slight effect on this) my only dislike of the borg is the push pin on the bolt but that is the same for me on all markers with this design as I find them fiddly to operate. The minireg was extremely good...I know this is off topic with regard the thread subject but just because you might have tried a badly setup 'borg doesn't make you right...just incorrect, if you look at the other replies since I gave my figures for air consumption I am not alone.

Mark, we are going to have to use a hammer to drive this home.

BEHEMOTH WAS JOKING. LOOK AT ALL THE POSTS, AND YOU WILL SEE WHERE HE SAYS THAT HE IS A BIG FAN OF CYBORGS.

mag_lover05
06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
this is blasphemy..... the gun is apropriately named, and i liked it better when it was 1200 bux and we can still out do it with our 350 dollor RT mag. :D

dahoeb
06-14-2006, 04:48 PM
well...if its based off of the same basic design of the ego, i'm sure it will be a good marker, just like the angel speed or PM.

MarkM
06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Mark, we are going to have to use a hammer to drive this home.

BEHEMOTH WAS JOKING. LOOK AT ALL THE POSTS, AND YOU WILL SEE WHERE HE SAYS THAT HE IS A BIG FAN OF CYBORGS.

Ok I can take that....damned stupid to post one thing and then make 180* turn though. Very good example of people believing what they read ;) I saw the one post and his quote so quoted the both to begin with. My 2nd reply was simply to answer his reply he made to me, why would I read above the post I made?

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 07:05 PM

At least those companies realized it and therefore stayed competitive.

You can complain about successful marketing and die off, or you can learn from it and stay competitive.

My biggest concern about the mag is that in ten years, noone will be around to service it.

Lohman446
06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
At least those companies realized it and therefore stayed competitive.

You can complain about successful marketing and die off, or you can learn from it and stay competitive.

My biggest concern about the mag is that in ten years, noone will be around to service it.

I swear to you, you need to look up the idea of niche marketing.

trevorjk
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
my 06 cyborg should be here in a day or 2 :cool:

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I swear to you, you need to look up the idea of niche marketing.

Very few niches stay around for a long time. Thats the point. Yes, they are into niche marketing, but since paintball itself is barely out of being a niche market entirely, then a niece of a niece is basically hanging on the edge of a cliff, ignoring the ladder and ropes that you could use to pull yourself up.

The thing im getting at is AGD doesn't have to be a niche player. It shouldn't be, their product is the best out there for durability, reliability, etc.

ANd if they wanted, they have the means to gain a large amount of weight in the PB market overall. WIth this weight, they could, conceivably, bring the game closer to the AGD ideal.

If they don't want to do this, that is all fine and well. But its kinda hypocritical for the company to proclaim a moral loss to the paintball world, when they have the means to make changes, but refuse to use those means.

:dance:

Lohman446
06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Very few niches stay around for a long time. Thats the point. Yes, they are into niche marketing, but since paintball itself is barely out of being a niche market entirely, then a niece of a niece is basically hanging on the edge of a cliff, ignoring the ladder and ropes that you could use to pull yourself up.

The thing im getting at is AGD doesn't have to be a niche player. It shouldn't be, their product is the best out there for durability, reliability, etc.

ANd if they wanted, they have the means to gain a large amount of weight in the PB market overall. WIth this weight, they could, conceivably, bring the game closer to the AGD ideal.

If they don't want to do this, that is all fine and well. But its kinda hypocritical for the company to proclaim a moral loss to the paintball world, when they have the means to make changes, but refuse to use those means.

:dance:

Umm. Palmers pursuit shop. Any number of firearms manufacturers. A large number of car manufacturers. A large number of agricultural companies. I dont think your going to find niche markets are more prone to failure than any other market

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Umm. Palmers pursuit shop. Any number of firearms manufacturers. A large number of car manufacturers. A large number of agricultural companies. I dont think your going to find niche markets are more prone to failure than any other market

Man. I got pwned.

I still think AGD needs to update their website. You know, knock off the spiderwebs, put some new material up, etc.

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Palmers pursuit shop.

Hey, they still make the blazer, right? Is that gun any good?

JD

Steelrat
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey, they still make the blazer, right? Is that gun any good?

JD

Just bought one myself. Just about one of the smallest semis you can buy, and very light. Things are built like a tank. Ought to be fun to use.

SpecialBlend2786
06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Just got another email...

http://www.planeteclipse.com/newsletter/jpg/Etek2ABX1.jpg

Steelrat
06-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Just got another email...

http://www.planeteclipse.com/newsletter/jpg/Etek2ABX1.jpg

Oh, I see something, alright.

jsdatjsd
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Just bought one myself. Just about one of the smallest semis you can buy, and very light. Things are built like a tank. Ought to be fun to use.

Hey, post a review here, where we can all read it. Tell us how it shoot,s etc.

Bakc in the day when I spent hours drooliong over guns I could never afford, I wanted a blazer almost as much as a mag.

mmmmm.....blaaaaazer......

Jimbud
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Just found this on PBN.
Hopfully some pics soon.

ETek Ego Features

Background:-
The ETek Ego is a completely new Ego designed from the ground up. Although some of the parts are interchangeable with the Eclipse Ego, such as eye covers, LPR cap, Feed Tube etc the majority of the internals, frame, trigger and body are not. They have been designed with simplicity and durability in mind, yet also keep the same high performance expected from an Eclipse Family product.

In order to differentiate between the new ETek range and the Eclipse Ego6 range we have removed some User and Performance features. There is no LCD display, for example, but we have replaced it with 3 True-color LEDs that can be used to display modes, marker condition and used to quickly and easily modify and set parameters whilst in programming mode. There is the potential to have virtually all the adjustability of a standard Eclipse Ego, with ROF cap, Mode, Dwell, Debounce etc however obvious things like Peak ROF indicator, timer etc are lost once the LCD is removed. The Integrated QEVs have also been removed from the rammer system to further differentiate the performance characteristics of the two lines, as has the optical switch used in the trigger mechanism, replaced instead with a more conventional micro-switch.

The ETek is designed and executed using the same philosophy as the original Ego. That is performance, durability, ease of use, ease of maintenance and ease of technical trouble-shooting. In all the areas that the Ego performs so highly in regard to durability and user-friendliness the ETek Ego has it at the very least matched. In some areas, with the removal, for example, of the QEVs, maintenance of the rammer and valve is now even further simplified. We believe that just because this is lower cost product that it shouldn’t use intelligent design or be any less user-friendly than previous Eclipse products.

The ETek will accept all current ‘06 CCU (Color Contrast Kit) and C-Lever Clamping Feeds. It will also accept any 05 or 06 Aftermarket Bolt (Nexus, Dart Etc). It still utilizes Cocker Barrel threads, and has a standard slide-rail ASA mount on the frame.

• Body – New 06 ETek Body. Def Tek offset feed tube, No Frame Tag slot, No Frame Tag, Body-Ported Barb Fittings for Rammer Inlets. Dual ETek Rubberised jewels, ‘Cocker Threads
• Feed Tube – Standard Clamping Feed Tube the same shape, size and fitting method as Ego 5 and 6
• Barrel – New 13” Length, reduced porting, reduced external machining, new formed stick-in rubber badge. ‘Cocker threaded.
• Bolt – New Shape. Much shorter version of Ego 5 Bolt. Same Ramped Top, ramped ball detent grooves, open bolt face, Drilled single hole inlet, plain shape at rear. Interchangeable with all Ego 05 and 06 bolts.
• New Valve Chamber and Valve – Enlarged Valve chamber offers operating pressures of 250-280 psi
• Rammer Housing – New ETek Rammer and Rammer Housing. No QEVs, but direct Fore and Aft Porting to Rammer. Does not accept any Ego 05 or 06 stock OR aftermarket rammers or rammer housings.
• Bolt Pin – New Shape. Plain Turned Pin. Larger diameter to allow easier grip and removal
• Ball Detents – Same as Ego 6
• Eye Covers – Same as ’05 Ego and Ego 6
• LPR – Adjustable LPR. Remodelled cap. Large Valve chamber for low pressure operation.
• FRM – New Shape and Mounting system.
• In-Line Reg – New Shape for ‘06 ETek, same internals as and Ego 5 and 6, Swivel Inlet
• Frame – New Shape, larger trigger guard, single push-button, 3 x True-color LEDs, Rubberised aesthetic semi-transparent control console with EGO logo and viewing windows for LEDs, 4 x tapped bottom-line mounting holes. Spring trigger return, micro switch operation. Integrated slide rail/dove-tail
• Trigger – New for ‘06 ETek. Blade profile, radius edges, thinner section, centrally mounted trigger prong for enhanced PCB contamination protection.
• Parameters – Firing Mode, Eye Off ROF, Capped Modes ROF (Semi 1 is Uncapped), Valve Dwell, Debounce, Ball-in-Place
• PCB – New for ‘06 ETek featuring a micro-switch trigger, 3 x True-color LED, Single external push button, single set-up button, all tourney modes: Semi, Capped Semi. Capped Ramping (NPPL, PSP, Millennium compatible), and a locking facility to make tournament legal.
• On/Off/Purge System – same as system found on SL66
• Break-Beam Eyes – High efficiency break-beam eyes and advanced eye logic. Auto-off default.
• Grips – ‘05 Ego and Ego 6 Style mounting. Current grip is same as the existing Ego 6 grip. Soft rubber wrap-around with metal jewel Logo.
Weight: 1.12 kg / 2.47 lb with Barrel, On/Off/Purge, Regulators, Fittings and Battery Length: 508mm / 20.0” with 13” Barrel
Width: 28mm / 1.1” with Eye Covers
Height: 225mm / 8.8” Including Feed Tube and On/Off/Purge Assembly

SpecialBlend2786
06-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Just found this on PBN.
Hopfully some pics soon.

ETek Ego Features

Background:-
The ETek Ego is a completely new Ego designed from the ground up. Although some of the parts are interchangeable with the Eclipse Ego, such as eye covers, LPR cap, Feed Tube etc the majority of the internals, frame, trigger and body are not. They have been designed with simplicity and durability in mind, yet also keep the same high performance expected from an Eclipse Family product.

In order to differentiate between the new ETek range and the Eclipse Ego6 range we have removed some User and Performance features. There is no LCD display, for example, but we have replaced it with 3 True-color LEDs that can be used to display modes, marker condition and used to quickly and easily modify and set parameters whilst in programming mode. There is the potential to have virtually all the adjustability of a standard Eclipse Ego, with ROF cap, Mode, Dwell, Debounce etc however obvious things like Peak ROF indicator, timer etc are lost once the LCD is removed. The Integrated QEVs have also been removed from the rammer system to further differentiate the performance characteristics of the two lines, as has the optical switch used in the trigger mechanism, replaced instead with a more conventional micro-switch.

The ETek is designed and executed using the same philosophy as the original Ego. That is performance, durability, ease of use, ease of maintenance and ease of technical trouble-shooting. In all the areas that the Ego performs so highly in regard to durability and user-friendliness the ETek Ego has it at the very least matched. In some areas, with the removal, for example, of the QEVs, maintenance of the rammer and valve is now even further simplified. We believe that just because this is lower cost product that it shouldn’t use intelligent design or be any less user-friendly than previous Eclipse products.

The ETek will accept all current ‘06 CCU (Color Contrast Kit) and C-Lever Clamping Feeds. It will also accept any 05 or 06 Aftermarket Bolt (Nexus, Dart Etc). It still utilizes Cocker Barrel threads, and has a standard slide-rail ASA mount on the frame.

• Body – New 06 ETek Body. Def Tek offset feed tube, No Frame Tag slot, No Frame Tag, Body-Ported Barb Fittings for Rammer Inlets. Dual ETek Rubberised jewels, ‘Cocker Threads
• Feed Tube – Standard Clamping Feed Tube the same shape, size and fitting method as Ego 5 and 6
• Barrel – New 13” Length, reduced porting, reduced external machining, new formed stick-in rubber badge. ‘Cocker threaded.
• Bolt – New Shape. Much shorter version of Ego 5 Bolt. Same Ramped Top, ramped ball detent grooves, open bolt face, Drilled single hole inlet, plain shape at rear. Interchangeable with all Ego 05 and 06 bolts.
• New Valve Chamber and Valve – Enlarged Valve chamber offers operating pressures of 250-280 psi
• Rammer Housing – New ETek Rammer and Rammer Housing. No QEVs, but direct Fore and Aft Porting to Rammer. Does not accept any Ego 05 or 06 stock OR aftermarket rammers or rammer housings.
• Bolt Pin – New Shape. Plain Turned Pin. Larger diameter to allow easier grip and removal
• Ball Detents – Same as Ego 6
• Eye Covers – Same as ’05 Ego and Ego 6
• LPR – Adjustable LPR. Remodelled cap. Large Valve chamber for low pressure operation.
• FRM – New Shape and Mounting system.
• In-Line Reg – New Shape for ‘06 ETek, same internals as and Ego 5 and 6, Swivel Inlet
• Frame – New Shape, larger trigger guard, single push-button, 3 x True-color LEDs, Rubberised aesthetic semi-transparent control console with EGO logo and viewing windows for LEDs, 4 x tapped bottom-line mounting holes. Spring trigger return, micro switch operation. Integrated slide rail/dove-tail
• Trigger – New for ‘06 ETek. Blade profile, radius edges, thinner section, centrally mounted trigger prong for enhanced PCB contamination protection.
• Parameters – Firing Mode, Eye Off ROF, Capped Modes ROF (Semi 1 is Uncapped), Valve Dwell, Debounce, Ball-in-Place
• PCB – New for ‘06 ETek featuring a micro-switch trigger, 3 x True-color LED, Single external push button, single set-up button, all tourney modes: Semi, Capped Semi. Capped Ramping (NPPL, PSP, Millennium compatible), and a locking facility to make tournament legal.
• On/Off/Purge System – same as system found on SL66
• Break-Beam Eyes – High efficiency break-beam eyes and advanced eye logic. Auto-off default.
• Grips – ‘05 Ego and Ego 6 Style mounting. Current grip is same as the existing Ego 6 grip. Soft rubber wrap-around with metal jewel Logo.
Weight: 1.12 kg / 2.47 lb with Barrel, On/Off/Purge, Regulators, Fittings and Battery Length: 508mm / 20.0” with 13” Barrel
Width: 28mm / 1.1” with Eye Covers
Height: 225mm / 8.8” Including Feed Tube and On/Off/Purge Assembly

Awesome, nice find!

I'm interested to see how much different it actually looks from the standard Ego.

Jimbud
06-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Link to pics. :)

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=653551#post653551

http://www.planeteclipse.com/site/eNews.asp?newsID=188

Lohman446
06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
The ETek Ego is a completely new Ego designed from the ground up

It just happens that a ground up redesign resulted in a strikingly similiar look and many interchangeable parts. What coincidence :rolleyes:

I'm all for companies manufacturing a cheaper line, because I agree that the $500 to $800 range is the new battle for marker supremacy. The PM6 for instance seemed to get far more attention than the DM6 - in fact it was DM6 owners who find themselves defending there markers and choice of purchase.

But lets be serious, this is not a ground up redesign, the same as the PM is not a ground up redesign.

Skittle
06-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Eh, I wouldnt mind having one, but I have a viking... so when they get cheaper it may be worth it.

Up until now it seemed to me like the whole reason of getting an ego was for saying "I have an EGO, what do YOU have?" Sure theyre great guns and all, but getting an ego was so you can have "the best" gun, so why make a cheaper one? Seems like all the regular ego people will hate the etek people.

Toll
06-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Why would shocker people hate ions? ^^.

Not stirring that pot, but just poking fun.

By and large the battle for the 500-800 area is what I keep looking at. Costs over 900 dollars without taxes/shipping/etc? No thanks. I believe that more and more people are progressing into more "high end" set ups as paint prices and marker prices go down, so these are really the next step for Ion users (Though I'd suggest a nicely set up used dm4 and 300 dollars in pocket rather than a pm6) and having "stripped down" guns is a really, really good marketing idea.

It does the following :

1) It creates two camps. The "real" and the "wanna be"
2) It creates a sense of elitism when you have a "real" one and some one else is wandering around with a "fake"
3) More people will buy the origional ego who have markers for status (everyone knows these people)
4) Tons of people will buy the "fake" one because it preforms just as well for their needs.

It's not a bad idea over all. Ego's are nice markers, but the price tag is a killer. Get rid of that and keep the preformance...There's not a big downside

Pntball1866
06-15-2006, 08:33 AM
I think it will do well because I know many people who want EGO's but can't afford them, now with this E-Tek EGO out they will be alot easier to afford, rather than the $1125 EGOs, and well I will probably get one.

CKY_Alliance
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
The e-tek sounds better then the eclipse ego...mainly because there is a microswitch..i hate that eye thing trigger just doesnt return right.Looks like they rounded the back of an 06 and left a little more meat on the front...then added a bigger trigger gaurd and new reg...ehh dye's lower end was a success so im sure this will be too..but how will it affect the value of egos?

tyrion2323
06-15-2006, 08:50 AM

Is there any reason not to? It makes the most sense from a business perspective... They already have the R'n'D taken care of, and the technology is well worked out. The Ego is already established, so they won't have to market it in order to make it sell.

It doesn't make sense that every time a company wants to put out a product to cater to a new financial demographic, that they should have to reinvent the wheel. I mean, there really aren't that many ideas out there anyways.

And talking about rehashing old ideas to make new products...let's take a look at AGD...

etjoyride
06-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I ithnk that the E*tek actually in some ways looks better then the regular ego, i like how its edges(especially in the back) are more rounded, and it looks more comfortable to me. once these go down in price and hit the used market, i'll probably end up with one.

Steelrat
06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Is there any reason not to? It makes the most sense from a business perspective... They already have the R'n'D taken care of, and the technology is well worked out. The Ego is already established, so they won't have to market it in order to make it sell.

It doesn't make sense that every time a company wants to put out a product to cater to a new financial demographic, that they should have to reinvent the wheel. I mean, there really aren't that many ideas out there anyways.

And talking about rehashing old ideas to make new products...let's take a look at AGD...

I didn't single out AGD as being any different, did I? I am just tired of seeing a lack of any innovation. The only news I have seen lately is for markers like this one and the Angel one, which is just like their other guns, only smaller. The companies promote it like it is some sort of major innovation, when in reality its just reheated leftovers. It can make all the sense in the world business-wise, and I still wouldn't like it.

tyrion2323
06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, I can understand your point, for sure. It's kind of redundant, and actually discourages me from buying new products. But I guess from a business perspective, it's probably Eclipse's best move - they'll likely sell a lot of these to aspiring youngsters who can't afford the high price ticket.

Me? I'm waiting to buy the Deadlywind marker :)

Steelrat
06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Plus, I don't see AGD spamming everyone with a hype-laden email anytime them come out with a tac warp body.

Steelrat
06-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, I can understand your point, for sure. It's kind of redundant, and actually discourages me from buying new products. But I guess from a business perspective, it's probably Eclipse's best move - they'll likely sell a lot of these to aspiring youngsters who can't afford the high price ticket.

Me? I'm waiting to buy the Deadlywind marker :)

If the market ever wises up, its going to hurt these companies big-time. If the paintball market doesn't experience consistant growth, the gun market will become saturated very quickly.

Skittle
06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Plus, I don't see AGD spamming everyone with a hype-laden email anytime them come out with a tac warp body.

even if agd sent out an email for everything they did, it wouldnt be enough to call spam.

tyrion2323
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM

To play the devil's advocate...AGD did hype the ULE bodies as if they were something special, instead of just being 5 years too late with aluminum bodies, and even resorted to *gasp* sexy marketing with Clare in the banner ads...

But I do agree, hype makes me want to punch a baby.

Skittle
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
babies make me want to punch babies.

BerSerK
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
little vid of the ETEK

http://www.darksidevideo.org/comment/0/c1c02ee3-d5f6-4911-a864-f27abefdcb9f.htm

enjoy! ;)

going_home
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
little vid of the ETEK

http://www.darksidevideo.org/comment/0/c1c02ee3-d5f6-4911-a864-f27abefdcb9f.htm

enjoy! ;)

Why would anyone want one ?
No LCD, not as adjustable.
And its only 150.00 less than an 06 Ego.

BerSerK
06-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know, I just saw the vid and though that people here might like to see it.

I like my mag, the only other marker I want is a phantom.