PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Age in MA?

warbeak2099
06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Just checking as I'm getting ready to go off to college in Worcester. What's the drinking age in MA? Here in NY it's 21 but I know in different parts of the country it's still 18. I was thinking, "hey, MA is a pretty liberal state. Maybe they aren't as conservative about the drinking age." Then again, NY is liberal too. W/e, anyone live in MA?

Oh, and what are some good fields around the Worcester area? I wouldn't mind making a half hour trip. No more than 30mins though.

Remington
06-16-2006, 07:25 PM
With the exception of maybe some really open states like Montana and the Dakota's, the drinking age is 21 regardless of where you go. The federal government enforces the age requirement by holding back funding for highways and roads in a state where the drinking age is less than 21, at least that's the last I heard. :confused:

As for fields within a 30 minute drive from Worcester, check out this link (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=paintball+fields&near=Worcester,+MA&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title). It looks like you'll have plenty of options. ;)

Lohman446
06-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Canada, oh Canada :)

But I dont think any states do not enforce the 21 statute - as noted above the feds threaten funding

skriptal
06-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Just checking as I'm getting ready to go off to college in Worcester. What's the drinking age in MA? Here in NY it's 21 but I know in different parts of the country it's still 18. I was thinking, "hey, MA is a pretty liberal state. Maybe they aren't as conservative about the drinking age." Then again, NY is liberal too. W/e, anyone live in MA?

Oh, and what are some good fields around the Worcester area? I wouldn't mind making a half hour trip. No more than 30mins though.

WPI?

RapidTransit
06-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Alot of states allow under age drinking within a private residence under parental/guardian supervision. MA dosn't allow it at all. Where you goin? Also there some people out in Worcester that throw together some games.

slade
06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
yeah, MA enforces a drinking age of 21. i thought every state does.

are you going to WPI? i have a lot of friends that are or have gone there.

grEnAlEins
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
yeah, MA enforces a drinking age of 21. i thought every state does.

are you going to WPI? i have a lot of friends that are or have gone there.
Every state does as of now. Louisiana slid down to 18 a few years back, but after a brief stint without federal transportation funding they bumped back up to 21.

Warewolf50
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM

There are several places that allow drinking in public places like bars and what not if u are 18 but your legal gaurdian has to be there with you. But as said already there are no places that have a 18 year old drinking age in the US.

sbpyro
06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Having grown up in Southie it used to be we would throw partys and charge for the cups and everyone ended up crashing at the party location. With the new laws in MA if you host a party and there is underage drinking you can go to jail. I personally feel this leads to more teenagers finding a place to party and ending up driving home trashed.

Also there are several towns that are dry.

ahellers
06-19-2006, 11:09 AM
HAHAHA from work ii can look out the window and see canada, plus in my town theres a bridge to canada, i can be there from my house in less then 10 min. there drinking age is 19
t

stop whining buy a mag
06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the south is kinda weird. Lots of restrictions on liquor. I'm from Milwaukee and my dad plays a lot of softball. Up there, some umps allowed you to drink on the field as long as you weren't trashed. In Wake County, NC (Raleigh) you can't have alcohol in public parks. They don't even serve beer at bowling alleys! My dad walked up to the concessions and asked for a pitcher of beer and the lady said "We don't serve alcohol here." Of course my dad had to ask "Then why do people come here?"

ShooterJM
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
There are several places that allow drinking in public places like bars and what not if u are 18 but your legal gaurdian has to be there with you. But as said already there are no places that have a 18 year old drinking age in the US.

Wow, I did not know that.....

slade
06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow, I did not know that.....
i didnt either, but technically its legal to drink at ANY age in your own house under your parents supervision... its not that surprising that some places would allow you to drink outside of your house under your parents supervision.

then again, my mom freaked out when my dad offered me a beer... :( and she thought it was still illegal anyway. my sister found the whole thing quite entertaining.

where the heck did the topic starter go? are you going to WPI or not? i have a few friends going there.

Lohman446
06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm calling Shens on this until I see a reputable source for this info :)

RapidTransit
06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
i didnt either, but technically its legal to drink at ANY age in your own house under your parents supervision... its not that surprising that some places would allow you to drink outside of your house under your parents supervision.

then again, my mom freaked out when my dad offered me a beer... :( and she thought it was still illegal anyway. my sister found the whole thing quite entertaining.

where the heck did the topic starter go? are you going to WPI or not? i have a few friends going there.
Except in a very few states like MA there is no underage drinking I think there is like 5 other states like that.

slade
06-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Except in a very few states like MA there is no underage drinking I think there is like 5 other states like that.
? its legal to drink at any age in massachusetts, as long as its in your own house under your parents supervision.

RapidTransit
06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Nope I checked on that law we are one of very few states that don't allow it in private under parental supervision

ShooterJM
06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm calling Shens on this until I see a reputable source for this info :)

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/index.asp?Type=BAS_APIS&SEC={DA244DAF-EB78-425C-915B-D26D303F9E13}&DE={468A8313-845A-41C8-A6F1-73D42EDD5F24}

:cheers: