PDA

View Full Version : Bolt spring issues - general reading

athomas
06-19-2006, 06:17 AM
This just a post to remind people to keep an eye on the condition of their bolt springs. A lot of people get strange unexplained chuffing and reset problems every once in a while on a gun that was previously working just fine. It was tuned well and had worked flawlessly.

Bolt springs are a consumable part that gets weak over time. They weaken during use and they weaken if left sitting while installed on a gun (they last longer left sitting than in use). My own personal experience tells me that I get about 40000 shots on my emag before the spring gets weakend to the point that I start to get unexplained random chuffing. You usually first notice it during rapid firing.

Years ago, it was recommended by AGD to replace your bolt spring as part of regular maintenance. Many tournament users used to replace it before every tournament just to make sure there were no chuffing issues.

Keep a spare bolt spring around for backup, especially if your installed one is getting quite a few uses on it or is getting old.

BigEvil
06-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Good idea. Timely too since one of my Emags had this issue just this weekend. ;)

Dark Frost17
06-19-2006, 06:59 AM
thanks for the info i will put that on my order list!!!

FinchMan
06-19-2006, 03:50 PM
thanks for the info i will put that on my order list!!!

ditto