PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Monster Game

StygShore
06-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Once again.... I forgot to pre-reg :(

Anyone going to this mess again this year? I am hoping the Lone Wolf crew will be out there again, but attendance has falterred over the last few years, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY has mentioned going this year...

As crappy as the even usually is, it's still a tradition, I wil do my best to get at least a few of us up there if anything just to see if we can drink more bottles of Boones Farm and empty another 3 gallon G.O.T. cooler of Ninja Bullfrog...

Styg

ahellers
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
i know atleast 10 or 20 people that are gona be up there from the soo. non of them mag owners however.
t

StygShore
06-19-2006, 10:58 AM
We usually bring up 20-30 guys, this year will more likely be about 10-20

Styg

Ydna
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Me and the gang will be there, I will break out the mag for at least one or two insertions. Yellow team for us!

StygShore
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I'll be sporting a mag till it gets stupid ( ie, people cheat uncontrollably and all the refs can do is complain about the heat and it not being worth working for a membership ), then I usually bring out the pump and just plink people in the feet from under vehicles and such.

Styg

Always yellow, all there there has been talk from our most senior player abotu switching to red this year to give them a fighting chance.

Ydna
06-20-2006, 10:17 AM
To be honest we've been discussing the very same thing. We've gone on the red team from 2000-2004 and only recently switched to the yellow team so we could be on the same side as some folks we met over the internet. It doesn't really matter to me which team we're on since you definitely have fun either way, but I will say the yellow team is definitely a lot better organized. Red seems to have a lot of the walk-on guys that just show up to play and don't care what happens or where they go, there are smaller groups of red on the field and they don't tend to be cooperative with teamwork or anything.

I think that's why they've lost since 2002 (or 2003, I forget). Same relative number of players, just more scattered out and not concentrated.

StygShore
06-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Possibly, or it could be the marauding crew of 200+ players that always seem to gather up for the Yellow team and just mow the woods down :)

Seems like Red tears us up with tanks and mercs, but when Yellow gets a large group together it just gets uuuuuglllyyy...

I have been involved in at least 3 tank surrenders on the field where we shot the tanks so much they literally waved the white flag.

And it's just plain dangerous to be a merc out there now. General rule for Yellow is shoot the mercs in the back when you see them even if they are on your side :) I did get about 6 good bleeders from a merc when I did that to him a few years back though. Apparently the shooting pain and 3 splotches on his back were not enough of an indicator to let him know he had been hit and was out....he turned and just lit me up... then the other 12 yellow guys around me hurt his feelings a bit.

Styg

Ydna
06-20-2006, 09:33 PM
lol, I been there.

I think the tank that is used in the situation matters, too. There's one called Automagnus that has twin e-mags mounted to the top...that tank is a joke. The operator of the turret is completely unprotected, and you can even shoot inside it and hit the driver. When that thing appears over the horizon people duck down, but as soon as they see what it is they pop back up and it's like the tank isn't even there (yet there's a crowd of overcondfident people behind it).

Part of me hopes they fixed it up t make it at least useful to the team owning it...but the other half of me hopes they left it rappy like it was. Just becuase it screws witht he gameplay so much. lol

StygShore
06-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I know that tank, it wasn't anythign to worry about until they had it cranked so high it was taking layers of wood off the bunker :) Got a friend that got lit up theback by it, had about 9 or 10 golfball sized welts going accross his back - OUCH!

Appears there are very few people going from AO this year...I think that makes 3 of us and our "groups"

Styg

wyn1370
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Data and I'll will be there with 3-4 others. Playing yellow as well.

StygShore
06-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Data is still around?

I saw him there I think 2 years ago, Imediately recognized his mag when I was in line at the fill station.

Wyn, don't you live around the Waterford area?

Styg

wyn1370
06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
yep, I'm still in the ferd
I drag data out to the field from time to time.

neither of us play as much as we should, I've been trying to get out more this year. (three times and counting). This is just one of those events you can't live in michigan and miss.

StygShore
06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Isn't it weird how we live in the same city, and to my knowledge, I have never met you. It's not like there are a ton of different places to play paintball around here!!!!

What gun are you shooting now? maybe I have met you and just don't know it yet.

Where do you guys play at when you do get around to playing?

I have talked to about 6 more people about the Monster Game, and they are all wishy washy about playing, or only playing 1 day this year.

Come on that last 20 minutes when NOBODY is leaving the field is always an interesting event....lets see how many times I have to hit this guy until he finally gives and calls it a day :)

Styg

wyn1370
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Of the three times I've played this year, I've used a different gun every time.
atomix (jan)
the bunker (apr)
hell (two weeks ago)
not quite sure what I'll be using at this years event.
here's my list to choose from
empire 2
dragon 2.5
dm6
sl66
Gat
I'll probably end up using all of em, just to try and justify having that many.

I only started playing both days last year. I'm usually through my 2 cases a day an hour before play is over. That's why I picked up an extra case to make sure I'm in the entire time this year.
When those bastards start not leaving the field, I switch over to full ramp and make sure they have as much fun as possible while they stay in.

StygShore
06-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Not shooting any mags anymore?

I may or may not have my X-mag and may or may not have X-mod on it by that time, so depending if what I want can get done in a month on it, and I get it back in time with no problems

If not I'll be using an A-5 with e-trigger and maybe a flatline if the guy I am barrowing it from can get a hold of one ( all barrowed stuff, but would be a lot of fun out there )

I'll have my Sniper II, always have it out for times I spend in the village a one shot though 2 doors and a window is always a great feeling.

I do miss ole painless out there, wish they would bring it back, but holy safety hazard!!

Styg

Of the three times I've played this year, I've used a different gun every time.
atomix (jan)
the bunker (apr)
hell (two weeks ago)
not quite sure what I'll be using at this years event.
here's my list to choose from
empire 2
dragon 2.5
dm6
sl66
Gat
I'll probably end up using all of em, just to try and justify having that many.

I only started playing both days last year. I'm usually through my 2 cases a day an hour before play is over. That's why I picked up an extra case to make sure I'm in the entire time this year.
When those bastards start not leaving the field, I switch over to full ramp and make sure they have as much fun as possible while they stay in.

wyn1370
06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
haven't shot a mag in a few years now. I still have 3 or 4 laying around, but that's about all they do.

If you're in need of anything let me know(markers, tanks, hoppers, masks). You could even swing by and test it out beforehand to make sure you'll like it.

Do they still have the castle up? I love attacking that thing.

StygShore
06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I might have to take you up on barrowing something.... not sure I can handle shooting an A-5 all day...never been a fan of the tommy gun feeling of Tippmanns

I might have a buddies Red Karta Emag to use for the day, depends on if he changes his mind about playing or not.

as far as I know Castle is still up.

I hope they got rid of the birth tract from hell = Black plastic tube they use for field insertion that was so slick if you didnt break something coming through it, the 30 guys camping it would surely make sure you had a bad time getting out of it.

Styg

wyn1370
06-21-2006, 11:57 AM
the birth tube was still there when I was there earlier this month. I'm sure they'll use it too. I nearly killed myself in it a few times. Had a ref yelling at me to hurry up or I couldn't insert as I was trying to carefully make my way through it.

I was going by it last year when they let an insertion in and it got really messy. We where shooting people as they came out, so they started camping out in the tube to shoot back. Refs yelled at us not to shoot into the tube, but let them keep shooting us from inside it. They eventually told the guys in there they couldn't shoot form inside the tube, but this was only after our side left the area, cause we couldn't return fire.

Ydna
06-22-2006, 11:58 AM
yeah, it's unfortunately still there....but nobody likes it without exception so we're all hoping they just lead people around the netting on that side like they used to do.

We're bringing a few people this year that physically wil be incapable of going through it (or at least will have a LOT of difficulty) so I hope they wise up about it this time around.

I'm hoping it was popeye's dumb idea, but he no longer works there so if that were the case then maybe they'll ignore it.

Aslan
06-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I'll be there with 2 buddies. All of us, first time at the Monster Game. I'm still a little unsure how it works. We'll be yellow.

I'm not sure how the thing works. Like, will we start at a certain point? Will we start with a base? What if we go out there and never get hit...could we literally just spend the whole day wandering the field? What if we don't get hit, but decide we want to leave to get a drink or some more ammo or something? How safe is the staging area for equipment? What do people usually take with them onto the field...extra ammo? Spare air? tools? water?

Attendence was supposedly down last year...probably will be again this year...I think it really has to do with gas prices. This event draws from far away and it's getting really expensive to travel these days. :(

StygShore
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Actually attendance as down last year because it's the first year they went Field Paint Only.

In previous year you bought air cards, and could bring your own paint ( they wouldn't let you fill up in your camp site. ) So you could go buy crap 25-30 dollar cases of paint and just throw it at people alllll day.

Now at 60+ a case up there its not quite as easy to do that, and they raised the registration fee last year as well. gas prices aren't helping either. I would guess there were only 1000-1250 actual players last year. They usually double dip on their numbers because they count the total players for each day and add them up, even though most are players from the previous day.

They have several bases with a specific number of points. Each base has a yellow and red flag. For every number of minutes a color controls a base they receive that many points. each player is worth a specific number of points. The majority of players are 1 point, but there are ranking officers worth more points. ( get there early if you want to sign up as an officer )

They do field insertions to bases you control. An officer is required to do a field insertion for no matter how large of a group. that's why being ranking officer is nice, even if you are worth more points.

That's basically the scoring routine. I bring about 7 tubes of paint with me plus whats in my gun. I usually carry a camel-back, but its because I usually don't like to pull myself from the game just to go get a drink if its hot out there.

There may be times you run out of paint, you can either take yourself off the field to get more, or take some from someone. Don't ask a guy to "barrow" paint, especially if you have no intention of finding him and giving it back :) ( there are a lot of people that will seek you out and return paint though, you would be surprised )

I know the gorup I am out there with on several occasions had pretty well walked around the field several times for several hours losing and gaining players as we went around. So it is feasible to spend an entire stage out in the woods some times. Don;t sit and longball paint like a ton of people do, move around the sides or make some daring moves to get into he fight, the game gets old when you are pulling the trigger for hours in hopes a bouncer will hit someones mask or something.

Just my brief ramblings on the event...

Styg

Aslan
06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Actually attendance as down last year because it's the first year they went Field Paint Only.

Oooo, I forgot about that! I bet you're right. People really complained about that change. I was pissed initially, because that was sort of my "home field"...but now I don't mind it as much because I've switched to HPA so the free all day air actually saves me a good deal of money.

The majority of players are 1 point, but there are ranking officers worth more points. ( get there early if you want to sign up as an officer )They do field insertions to bases you control. An officer is required to do a field insertion for no matter how large of a group. that's why being ranking officer is nice, even if you are worth more points.

Okay, let me see if I get this. If I get hit out, I return to the staging area. How do I get there? Is there a "safe route" set aside...other wise couldn't ya get lit up constantly just trying to get back to the staging area? And what about players reinserting themselves on the way back? And is there like a checkpoint where the ref counts players who have been hit as they come walking off? And if like 40 players from a team are waiting around to be reinserted, they can't reinsert without an officer?

That's basically the scoring routine. I bring about 7 tubes of paint with me plus whats in my gun. I usually carry a camel-back, but its because I usually don't like to pull myself from the game just to go get a drink if its hot out there.
I'm thinking I'll take a 8+1 harness, 6 tubes of paint, a spare air tank, one pod with some misc. items (bug spray) and tools (hex wrench, 9V battery, etc...), and save one spot on the harness for a water bottle. I figure I'll take a few straws with me so I can drink from the bottle without risking pulling the mask up. Sound workable? Or is it the most newbish idea ever concocted?

I know the gorup I am out there with on several occasions had pretty well walked around the field several times for several hours losing and gaining players as we went around. So it is feasible to spend an entire stage out in the woods some times. Don;t sit and longball paint like a ton of people do, move around the sides or make some daring moves to get into he fight, the game gets old when you are pulling the trigger for hours in hopes a bouncer will hit someones mask or something.

Just my brief ramblings on the event...

Styg

I hate games where I end up having to do that. Wherre the enemy is way too far away to hit and you can't flank so you just keep popping out a few shots back and forth hoping that one might catch him and he'd be honest about it.

Thanks for the advice...I'm sure I'll need it.

StygShore
06-25-2006, 10:58 PM
You are counted when you reinsert into the game, not as you walk off. The refs are the only thing keeping people from reinserting, and their honor of fair play - which unfortunately a lot of them lack!

there are roads leading in and out of the field. Some are marked off by orange snow fence. Most of these roads are STILL IN PLAY so even though you are out, don't assume you will not be taking a few more shots on the walk out ( sometimes the military transports are running and you can hitch a ride back )

you can only reinsert with an officer, but chances are with 40 of you there, one or more of them are officers

I wouldn't worry about bug spray and tools and such. The staging area is your car or campsite, so you will have all that stuff there. Extra batteries and water are a good idea. if its 90 degrees like normal, you need to drink A LOT of water out there. I usually drink about 4 gallons of water over the 2 days up there ( and tequila, Smirnoff blacks, aftershock, Ninja Bullfrog, etc do not count as hydration!!! )

You asked how secure things are. We always have camp sites and a "camp *****" to watch all of the gear. That's usually the guy that was still to messed up to play in the morning, or one of the guys that comes along for the food and drinking. I would suggest you keep your gear in safe place, don't leave it sitting on t he back of your car while you head to the port-a-potties. If you can find a camp, or have a group of guys up there, try and hook up with them and see if you can use their camp area to stage out of. Most people are pretty cool and friendly up there.

Styg

Aslan
06-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I thought the staging area was still the staging area. And then the campsites were a litte further out. And the parking was even further out.

For example, normally when I play there, I just park in the lower parking lot and can access my trunk from the picnic table area (staging area). I thought that for this game that lower parking lot would not be available but I thought the staging area (picnic table area) still would be.

I have a campsite...but what about the people taht don't? They have to walk all the way out to that far parking lot to get extra paint, something they forgot, a drink, etc...? What about the people that get there late and have to park at the offsite parking lots? Will they have to wait for that golf cart to actually bring them to their car just to get the things I mentioned? :eek: I'm sure glad I got that last close campsite if that's the case!

StygShore
06-26-2006, 06:02 AM
The picnic tabel area is available down there, but good luck getting a spot in there.

As far as parking in the back lot, yeah the golf carts run to shuttle peopel up to the front.

There is some camping and staging available down in the lower lot, but most of that is reserved - possibly for vendors and such, not real sure who parks there.

Styg

wyn1370
06-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the tent area is vendors and vendor refreshment area only
the lower area I think is VIP parking

Best bet for gear is to laave it locked up in your car. I just have my gear in the back seat and lock it up before heading out to the field.
We've parked in the back lot for quite a few years now and it's not that bad. The golf carts come regularly (5 minute wait at most).

StygShore
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
yeah golf carts go quite often, and the quality/age of the girls on them has improved steadily over the years.... or I just got older so they got better looking, not sure which.

Styg

Aslan
06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, I hope I get in so early Saturday morning that there will be some type of place in the usual staging area to leave maybe a cooler and a little rolling bin. It's not a HUGE deal since I have a close camping site, but still...if I have to walk all the way back to the campsite after each time I get hit just to get a drink of gatorade or fill a couple pods, that's gonna kinda blow. :cuss:

As for the girlies, if they are interested in my overweight, smelly, dirty, sweaty, paint covered, middle-aged body...well, I'm not sure if I'd be into a girl that found that attractive. :wow: :eek: :wow:

:cheers:

StygShore
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Rumor has it... RED has faltered once again....

Against overwhelming odds, YELLOW made a comeback and actually beat RED in the second day of play.

I do have to hand it to the RED players though ( outnumbering us aside of course ) you pretty much handed our butts to us on a platter all day on Saturday!!! I don't think I ever walked off the field so many times ever in my 10+ years of playing the Monster Game.

Attendance seemed up from last year, and there seemed to be a lot more honest players, and the refs for all their shortcomings were actually better about pulling hit players and checking players this year than they had been in the past.

Maybe the FPO issue has brought out the more honest true paintballer to this event?

If anyone knows the true final score, I would like to hear it, I was gone before the announcement on Sunday.

Thanks

Styg

Data - missed playing with ya :( ( not that you will read this )

Wyn, had a great time playing with you - and being your paint mule!!! Invitation is open next year if you want to camp/mooch parking with the Lone Wolf Paintball crew ( or you can park in the boonies again :D )

Aslan
07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Team Yellow won by about 2000, I'm thinking 27000 to 25000.

We definitely pulled it out once they evened out some of the odds. I was a lieutenant on the Yellow Team both days. We definitely had trouble out of the gates against greater numbers and a boatload of scenario teams. But once we added Blue's Crew and about 100-140 players...Red was nothing more than an annoyance. By Sunday afternoon, Team Yellow was so bored that I thought we were going to start shooting each other just to get some action.

StygShore
07-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I was shooting Blues Crews players on Saturday and sunday, are you sure they switched?

I know the Renegades, and a few smaller groups switched, but I didnt think it was anywhere near the 140 or so you stated.

Styg

Aslan
07-28-2006, 02:34 AM
I know at least 3 groups switched, that's 60. I know at least some of Blue's Crew switched because I saw them wearing yellow late Saturday...one of them played alongside me on an assault on West Point. I estimated the other 60-80 based on the fact that they limited registration late Saturday so that you could only register for Team Yellow. I'm not sure if they changed it on Sunday or not, I thought they did...but some Red players were saying they kept registering the open players for Yellow the rest of the weekend. :confused:

StygShore
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
http://www.hellsurvivors.com/MONSTER%20GAME/S&H%202006.html

Final Score

Does the World record game at Skirmish double dip their attendance count like HSI does? He ****s people that lay both days as 2 players :)

2004 was th elast BYOP year and you can see a major hit in attendance. This also screwed his vendors, becasue people had to spend so much on paint they didn thave extra money to buy goodies.

Styg

Aslan
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
And Red Team was whining that they were outnumbered...look at that, they had more peopole than yellow both days!

I'm over the FPO thing. The way I figure it...by the time you buy paint, pay the BYOP fee, and pay for air...you're probably paying the same.

I pay between $80 and $120 per day to play paintball by the time you figure in paint, food, gas, and everything else. Doesn't matter where I go...it's about the same.

Ydna
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
The biggest complaint I have about the FPO is the stupid paint color. It makes the field look like some 80s metal music video by the end of sunday. Not to mention the fact that I could be bleeding from my friggen head and not know it...

Back in the nonfpo days we bought wholesale cases of 32º competition for $35 each. Those days were good.

But back in those days we had to steal air fills so I can't argue with the current setup much.

StygShore
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
40.00 in air cards or an extra 40 to pay for paint... kinda the way I look at it. HSI pretty well screwed over thier vendors more than anything, because people dont have the extra money to buy goodies once they pay $200.00 for the 2 day event and 2 cases of paint

Aside from my gun getting stuck pressurised on the line once, and the little kiddie blowing an o-ring on the fill and nearly busting my nuckle, air fills seemed very efficient this year, and even by the end of Sun they were still fillign to about 3600.

The Fireball did fly pretty good, aside frome being VERY bouncy, I probably took 70-80 hits that just did not break over the weekend. Several on my goggles - Heck once I was complaining to a ref for allowing players to poke their barrel through the staging net and fire, and one of them hit me square in the lense, and it didnt break!

Styg

It was nice to get paint for like 27.00 a case and just not care about shooting too much in the old days :)

Ydna
08-08-2006, 09:49 PM
wow, yeah there were a lot of bounces. I thought it was just me at first, but then I'd hear small talk on the field describing more bounces....weird stuff.

I took a LOT of hits to the mask that apparently grazed off. I use vents avatars which apparently encourage bouncing under normal circumstances, but I was taking them right to the visor, lens, earpiece...kept asking the ref if thee was a break, he'd tell me no, and I'd ask "you sure?"...never thought I'd end up doing that as many times as I did during the game lol

Aslan
08-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I agree.

1) Listen...don't get me wrong...I LOVE BYOP...I Love it because I like to try different kinds of paint. Firebalz are just a bit too small for my barrels. But...the all day air thing when you're shooting a Level 10 Mag definitely makes up for at least a good part of the paint price increase. I went to a BYOP field and they charged me like $9-$10 for an air tank fill on top of a $15 BYOP fee...so it all works out in the end.

2) The bounces were nuts! I got hit square in the visor and asked the kid next to me..."Did I just get hit?" He said, "No, I don't see anything." I said, "No, look at my visor...are you sure I didn't get hit?" He said, "nope...you're fine." I couldn't believe it...that was crazy.

Ydna
08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
that reminds me, I used my mag for the first time in a game at the mmg. Wow it worked spectacular...I got lots of comments on the field about it too.

anybody see the idiot (me) with the triple ion?

StygShore
08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I did hear someone mention a tripple gun and how crazy it was firing, and I'm pretty sure I heard it fire a few times.

It was more imposing and feared than the weak arse tanks were this year :)

I saw quite a few mags out there this year, it was nice to not be the only guy carrying one out there

Styg

Aslan
08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I only saw one other guy with a Mag...but I'm used to being the only one so any additional ones are a welcome sight. :dance: