PDA

View Full Version : Review: Xmod 1.7

BigEvil
06-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Time to write something about this where people may actually get to see it. It has also been a few months that I have been using the Xmod software on both my Xmag and Etac, so I can speak from experience.

"This is the BEST upgrade for you Emag since the level ten. PERIOD"

Firstly, if you dont know what the Xmod is, it is completely new software for the AGD Emag and its dirivitives. (Emag, Xmag, Etac). It was created and developed by AO's very own Lornecash independant of Airgun Design. He has (and still is) putting a great deal of his own time, effort and money into this little project.

The end result is a greatly improved system for the grossly outdated emags using their own stock boards. What that means, you dont have to swap out or replace any of the electronics.

For those of you tired of not being able to keep up with the Jones's kids and their new flavor-of-the-month markers, yet still love your tried and true AGD mags, then pay close attention.

The good the bad and the ugly:

Lornecash has managed to cram way more into that little bitty stock microcontroller than anyone thought possible.

Adjustable:
BPS from 8 - 31
Dwell
ACE holdoff
FIX (shot buffer, for bounce/full auto issues)

Firing modes
SEMI
RELS -semi that fires when you release the trigger instead of when you pull it.
Burst - 2-9 shot adjustable burst.
Full Auto
Hyper - Autoresponse firing mode, gun shoots on pull AND release
NXL Legal Ramping - 3 semi shots, Full auto on 4th, then ramping
PSP Legal Ramping - 3 semi shots, then 3 rnd burst on 4th, then ramping
Millenium Legal Ramping
Practice Mode - records how fast the trigger is being pulled in BPS. (aka "Show-off" mode)

ACE:
Improved ACE calibration
ACE firing 'hold-off'
manual ACE toggle on/off via holding the back bottom button. No longer are you limited to just the menu control to turn tha ACE on or off.

Warp feed - BOTH Automatic and Manual warp advance. Warp will be triggered on every shot, and via a quick push of the bottom button.

Improved visual trigger calibration using the led display

Tourney lock - just in case you ever need one.

Fried board test - to see if you were naughty or nice to your main board

And for a small fee, Lornecash can even create custom boot messages for you.

I know, there is a lot there to digest. After installing this on my mags and then pounding them for the last 5 months, all I can say is WOW.

For those of you worried about ill effects on the guns themselves, I have not seen any at all. I have chewed up a few more bumpers than usual, and my paint budget has gone up drastically though.

Installation - is done via a special programmer that connects your PC to the gun. Programming the gun once ithe wires are connected takes about 10 seconds. If you can install software on your PC, take your grip pannels off, and plug and unplug wires, then you are qualified enough to do the installation. It is that simple.

Lornecash has also provided a very detailed users manual that covers EVERYTHING. Software overview, installation instructions, suguested settings, and even a very helpful troubleshooting section.

Here is the best part, the software is FREE. It is available on his websight www.Niedtech.com. All you need is the programmer and cables, which Lornecash sells at a reasonable price.

The bad part, is that he only has a limited number of these left.

There are two other threads in Deepblue dealing with developement and beta testing if anyone is interested.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185314
and
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192921

Anyone else who has it, please post up a review of your own.

Unlike TAG, we did not have to wait with out thumbs up our rear-ends. Props to Lornecash for this great developement.

:cheers:

Muzikman
06-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok, how do we get the cables?

Big'n slo
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Muz,
Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Mag-X-Mag-Ramping-Software-Upgrade-XMOD-BETA-1-7_W0QQitemZ7250343144QQcategoryZ36285QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I just loaded one of my emags with this, it truly is a remarkable diffrence.
And its super simple to load

BigEvil
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Muz,
Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Mag-X-Mag-Ramping-Software-Upgrade-XMOD-BETA-1-7_W0QQitemZ7250343144QQcategoryZ36285QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Nice - I was meaing to ask if you got the programmer yet.

Big'n slo
06-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice - I was meaing to ask if you got the programmer yet.

Yep came in the monday after the game :(
Loaded it up that evening.
Now even I can shoot like a ghetto youth on speed :D

Muzikman
06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Muz,

And its super simple to load

Cool cool...thanks.

I have 2 or 3 extra Emags boards laying around...might as well give it a shot.

rkjunior303
06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
LOL Tag who?

craltal
06-20-2006, 11:28 AM
a side note:

Lornecash has also archived the old AGD software flashes on the site as well and offers them for free download, just in case you wanted to see what the differences in the different software is.

mind you, once you load xmod, it's HIGHLY doubtful you'll ever want to go back.

marpat
06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
i'm new to emag lowers, and i'm purchasing them from a friend but the manual safety doesn't work so well; so I may have to take it off. will this software act as a safety also as you said by pushing the bottom button on the grip frame?

thanks! it would help alot

BigEvil
06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
i'm new to emag lowers, and i'm purchasing them from a friend but the manual safety doesn't work so well; so I may have to take it off. will this software act as a safety also as you said by pushing the bottom button on the grip frame?

thanks! it would help alot

Turning it off is always the best safety. But,

Electronic Power On Safety
If the gun is powered on while the trigger is pulled the gun will not fire in any mode until the
trigger is released and pulled again (and released for RELS and HYPR mode)

Register on Lornecashes site and download the manual. Lots more inside.

marpat
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=BigEvil]Turning it off is always the best safety. But,

QUOTE]

you mean by putting the pin into the battery hole correct?

BigEvil
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=BigEvil]Turning it off is always the best safety. But,

QUOTE]

you mean by putting the pin into the battery hole correct?

Yes.

(I ended up putting a switch in mine as well)

RapidTransit
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know about anyone else but a few times I switched my gun off and turned it back on it defaulted to PSP mode which I discovered while playing :tard:

BigEvil
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't know about anyone else but a few times I switched my gun off and turned it back on it defaulted to PSP mode which I discovered while playing :tard:

Sometimes my Etac will default back to 8 bps when I have it on 15bps and turn it off. Lornecash said it was a "Chip-quirk". He's going to do something about it in one of the upcoming releases.

Remember.. this is still in beta. You should be reporting this type of thing in the beta testers thread in deep blue.

Rudz
06-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I have XMOD i will be at shatnerball with lots of paint, so yeah, it owns. period, done, no questions asked, end of story. and thats the last post cuz teh elves said so!! :shooting: :rofl: