PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on making a catch?

rkjunior303
06-21-2006, 09:07 AM
So, I live in the middle of Boston. While I have a decent backyard for living in the city - we have an old woman living behinds us that likes to complain. I shot our back wall testing my marker and it turns out she called to complain to our landlord. Jim could care less but I don't even want to deal with it.. Anyone have any suggestions for making a decent catch/trap that's portable -- something I can throw in the backyard and shoot into but be able to rinse out and throw in the basement when done. I would just use a bucket but I've shot through them before.

paintman1234
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
old beach towl and a 5 gallon bucket should work ok..

StygShore
06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Best bet is one of those metal wash tubs. I think Target has a bunch in funky colors on sale in their think spring section right now for like $6.99.

Get one of those and some old towels or a cheap $5.00 outdoor pillow ( also at targets think spring section by chance ) to deaden the sound. The outdoor pillows are filled with synthetic fibers/polyester, so you can just rinse em and hang em if paint actually gets on them.

If you want to annoy the neighbor, leave the pillow out, and it will make all kinds of racket

You should probably be careful though, in a lot of cities there are ordinances about discharging any air powered device ( BBgun, pellet gun, paintball gun, gas airsoft gun, etc )

Styg

rkjunior303
06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
I may try to see if I can get a strip of surplus carpet somewhere. That inside of one of those tubs should be ok. I'm not too worried about the noise, most of my markers are real quiet. This is the same woman that complained about our cookout and said we had music blairing at 5:30 in the morning (when we didn't)

minimag03
06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Get the largest hollow metal object you can find and shoot the heck out of it. That way the landlord will not be able to hear her over all the noise you are making :) . But in all honesty, a bucket with a towel is your best bet.

StygShore
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah carpet would be a good idea, but you probably want something you can remove easily to clean - carpet will soak up the paint and begin to smell after a while ( I know from experience )

They do make exterior grade synthetic carpet for like decking and stuff that you can hose off, but it doesnt have as much sound deadening qualities.

Styg

stop whining buy a mag
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Remember the D-Mag video?

They had a good idea. Large orange traffic cone turned on it's side and something to block the end. The plastic probably prevents it from making too much noise.

WenULiVeUdiE
06-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Traffic cone with some 2" drywall screws near the end. That should break any incoming paint and prevent it from going through. It works for the PSP, should work for you.

BD_Paintball
06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Traffic cone with some 2" drywall screws near the end. That should break any incoming paint and prevent it from going through. It works for the PSP, should work for you.
yea that works well, but we did break one at the Iowa State open for college. but that might be from all the hungover college kids that were at that tourney messing around

paintman1234
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
well you may be able to shoot a paintball marker in mass. but they will probly tax you for it...

master_alexander
06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
i took some small chicken wire and put it over a box. and i shot at it.

shoot in the middle and the paint goes on the inside, shells on the outside. pretty slick :D

SpitFire1299
06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Reballs! :D

Battlewear
06-22-2006, 12:06 PM
A friend of mine has a sweet set up in his garage.. He got some PVC tubes from Homedepot, got a 90 turn and mounted it above a garbage can. Shoot in and the paint breaks and drains into the can..