PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid parents & paintball results...

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 10:31 PM
I lose... My parents win... I can't play paintball more than 4 times a year... :(

pumpamatic
12-21-2001, 10:36 PM
Dude, I honestly think your parents have some reason totally aside from paintball that they won't let you play. I don't know what it is, but that's a major bummer.

wimag
12-21-2001, 10:39 PM
pretty harsh. Your parents gonna even let you buy a marker??

FooTemps
Check the o/t forum for their reasons...

IceCool32
4 times a year? Ouch, dude that's harsh....your parents are evil. If I could only play 4 times a year I dunno what'd I do, especially with my new Impy. Don't mean to rub it in.

What would your parents do if Tom Kaye made a special visit to talk to them? Besides you peeing your pants after you answered the door that is. Think they'd ignore the greatest man in paintballs illustrious history?

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 10:41 PM
Well, I doubt they would change their minds... They wouldn't even let me buy a mag WITH MY OWN MONEY and they won't let me go ON MY OWN TIME. They don't drive me, they don't pay, all they do is sign and paper and watch a car drive off...

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 10:48 PM
Are there any good ways to help me cope?

IceCool32
12-21-2001, 10:54 PM
*edit*(first paragraph edited for "content un-becoming". Lets not let our personal feelings become an attack.) Army

I mean seriously, paintball isn't some kind of sport where you go and kill people. It's a way to relive stress, and to get physically fit, I don't know about you, but being a front player like me takes alot of running, and I do that when I'm not even at the field(go to the gym). Your parents should be happy that you want to do something that you enjoy, and that it gets you outta the house, I know my parents were glad for me when I started playing.

All parents are different I guess. Is your dad an ex-service man or anything?

*Edit* Grammar Corrections.

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 11:12 PM
No, he was raised in China and immigrated to the U.S. He retired from the city water department in 1996 and is now a real estate agent. My mom is a housewife. They were both raised under strict Chinese house rules and are uptight. I wish I could give them a piece of my mind but if I did they would lock me out of the house for a couple of nights...

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
12-21-2001, 11:31 PM
do you wanna give them a piece of there mind...go ahead...this is america you have a right: freedom of speech...reguardless of what they do you still can do it. Take actions and stop being a puner! and you go tell your parents DIRECTLY and make sure you get there attention. And if they dont give you the respect you deserve go to plan b. Leave the house...go to a friends house...or relative...and give em the ol' handshake on the way out. Then if that doesnt work. I dunno what to tell yah (member doing this numerous times when i was younger...sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt,,, same with people i know...but never cry or anything like that and you gotta be serious about it :))

ThePatriot
12-21-2001, 11:34 PM
Hey Foo...in the winter months in seattle, if they lock you out of the house for an hour+...threaten to go to the police, they can get into some serious stuff if the cops found out they did that to u

FooTemps
12-21-2001, 11:36 PM
good point... I think I'll give em a piece of my mind then...

Army
12-22-2001, 12:56 AM
Foo, DO NOT TELL YOUR PARENTS OFF!

As your father is "old country", he will not understand nor forgive such rude behavior. Telling him off and stomping out of the house will only lose your 4 times of playing, and Lord knows what else.

Why anyone would give such advice is beyond me.

At 15 years old, you still have many years of proving to your parents that you can be a thoughtful, caring son; not some rotten, cussing little creep who would cause them to lose face.

Hang in there bro...

FooTemps
12-22-2001, 01:02 AM
They aren't proud of me when people compliment on how good I am but they are disgraced at me when I do something bad in public..

Bad Dave
12-22-2001, 04:49 AM
Just cos they don't express their pride does not mean they don't feel it. People have trouble expressing their positive emotions. In years to come you will look back and respect your dad for his views and beliefs, maybe you think he is wrong but he has (i imagine) been through a lot in his life where as you are only starting out, 15 or so I gather.

You would be better off getting to know your dad as a person, it takes time and effort but it is worth, then maybe he will respect you and pay heed to what you say.

swearing at him is stupid, as is walking off, you will just make yourself look stupid and weak.

gadget68
12-22-2001, 05:57 AM
Foo,
As I understand it you are 15 years old and are having difficulty with your family setting limits. Well, I have been a Youth Counselor for the last 9 years and have delt with many teenagers who have this same problem. I have one important message for you. You better thank your lucky stars that you come from a family where both parents, who are still together, actually care about their son's life. I don't have all the details of your situation but until you are of legal age and can financially take care of yourself, you will have to live by your parents rules. I have worked with kids whose parents are divorced, have serious drug and alcohol problems or are incarcerated. The kids that I work with struggle on a daily basis with issues ranging from self esteem, authority and/or addictions problems. I have seen alot. And I have seen many come and go (Go meaning death). As a Paintball player I understand your disappointment, but as a counselor don't let something so trivial cause friction between you and your parents. Have you tried to negotiate additional paintball days by either improving your grades, extra chores, or any other additional responsibilities? Because I know just how expensive a game of paintball can be.
If there are other underlying issues that you don't want to or can't talk about, I suggest you and your folks seek assistance.

As for the two AO members, RAV3N_PA1NTBAll and The Patriot, take this one peice of free advise.....Quit giving out such ludicrous advise and ideas that can cause a permanent rift in a family. Don't drag down people with such garbage.

GADGET68
(Jess)

speedballbanks
12-22-2001, 07:44 AM
i agree with gadget totally if i wasnt able to play paintball and i told my mom (by the way my mom and dad are divorced)f.u. and walked out of the house she would probably not let me back in the house and give me all the stuff she didnt buy and say bye and go live with your father so i suggest you suck up to your parents and keep telling them that you get good excersize out of it like someone said ^ there and then ask to go to the gym like a week before you go to play one of your 4 times a year and say mom dad i need to go work out for paintball this saturday and maybe they wll be surprised and then sit down and talk to them about it after you got back and say like all the good things about the sport and believe me all the bad things too tell them everything bad that could possibly happen but then tell them that the field has a strict rule about barrel plugs and and masks on past a certain point and tell them i know i alerady told you this but more people get hurt bowling!!!!!!!!!! and they might let you play i wrote this in consideration cause when i started playing my mom and dad just broke up 2 years previous and my mom wouldnt let me play so i had to do all this but i am not saing do this but sometimes putting on the waterworks does work i mean cry your eyes out and you might get something out of it and remember try your hardest.

i know i know that is the biggest damn sentence you have ever seen. thats why i dont do good in english.

ThePatriot
12-22-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by gadget68

As for the two AO members, RAV3N_PA1NTBAll and The Patriot, take this one peice of free advise.....Quit giving out such ludicrous advise and ideas that can cause a permanent rift in a family. Don't drag down people with such garbage.

GADGET68
(Jess)

Man, ludicrous advise? i was the one who told foo to ask his parents for a logical reason why he couldnt play and try and work something out. The fact his parents would lock their own son out of a house for hours in a seattle winter night simply shows they are wrong. I wasnt telling him to go beat up his parents, but that is seriously child abuse.....i once told a teacher that my dad locked me in the garage....it was in november i think for maybe 30 mins. She called the cops and they had to come to my house and my dad nearly got into a lot of trouble for it, its very illegal to do that and i bet foo's parents know it. By threatening to call the cops they would stop it....

Vegeta
12-22-2001, 01:00 PM
Man, your in deep. I promised my parents when I started paintball (they had seen how expensive it was from looking through my APG's) that I would use my own money, time, and such. If it wern't for paintball... you know how many kids/people wouldn't have any friends.. any social activities in their lives? Paintball has saved me from becoming a couch potato. Got me outside, doing sports again. I was teh typical, little league kid up until about 10, then I just stopped. Paintball got me interested in it. I was smart and loved science, and learning how they work and how it all fits got me playing. Some kids, without paintball, would prolly get mixed up in gangs, drugs, who knows. Try explaining that to them. After I sta\rted playing paintball I realized I was outa shape (I wasn't fat or anything, just weak from sitting on the couch watching TTV all day). I reccently went back to recreational stuff instead of doing nothing. I play football for my school team (UNDEFEATED all season) and run track in the spring.

Try to get your dad to play. Just one game, at the local feild. I talk with my dad a lot about it, he is a repair man for a industrial supply company, and he works with alot of pnematics. He was fascinated when I showed him how a cocker works. He was even more fascinated when I showed him the price. Im trying slowly... one day I'll get him to play.

Whatever you do, don't tell them off. You say your fater is Chineese.. and.. well.. I don't gotta say much there. Watch out or he'll drop your gear down a well or something.

RSUAVE911
12-22-2001, 03:34 PM
*Content deleted* This is your first warning. -BlackVCG

TRY TO TELL THEM THE INJURIES THAT ARE INVOLVED IN PaintBall

Least injuries than like any other sport!

TylerDurden
12-22-2001, 07:58 PM
um, RSUAVE911 you may want to seek a counselor or psychiatrist. :confused:

irbodden
12-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Wow, I am glad we have members like Gadget68, sure sets us a part from PBNation/Dojo. Foo, your lucky too have good parents, and you do get to play 4 times a year. Why not pick up on a diffrent sport untill you can drive and work? It is an inconvience to have the closest field an hour away, are they supposed to drive you, go home and than come back pick you up and return? That is 4 hours of travel time!

Vegeta
12-22-2001, 08:30 PM
um Rsuave911 you need to seek some professional help before something gets out of hand there.... yea.

RSUAVE911
12-22-2001, 09:47 PM
Gadget

Why yes! There are even more messed up situations than foo is in right now. Heck, my parents are divorced and my dads an alchoholic. But WAKE UP there are ALWAYS IS MORE messed up situations! What you said and what everyone else is saying did not solve HIS problem, what you said probably made him feel worst about himself. So the next time you feel like sounding like a SMART PHILOSOPHER, THINK HOW YOUR ACTIONS can make others around you feel.
I APPLAUD THOSE OF YOU WHO TRIED TO SOLVE HIS PROBLEM!

Second warning, watch the language. -BlackVCG

FooTemps
12-22-2001, 10:12 PM
SHUT UP!

AND...

My parents don't drive me...

ALSO...

I pay for myself...

PLUS...

I forgot to sign up for summit bus before break!