PDA

View Full Version : RTvs ULT on/off

BigEvil
06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I need some info and I was wondering if anyone has any data on this.

All things equal, the force of pull being irrelivent, and take the sear out of the equation - which on/off can cycle faster?

Is there a difference in flow rate?

Im not sure if I am explaining myself clearly. No sear, equal air input, which one is the fastest?

Pneumagger
06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
I need some info and I was wondering if anyone has any data on this.

All things equal, the force of pull being irrelivent, and take the sear out of the equation - which on/off can cycle faster?

Is there a difference in flow rate?

Im not sure if I am explaining myself clearly. No sear, equal air input, which one is the fastest?

I would have to say the ULT. The top of the pin does not fill out the top thru hole of the on/off. That is one reason the RT on off has more reactivity.

But then again, this is just an educated guess.

flyingpootang
06-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Thats a good question. The ULT has shims and there for shortens the stroke, yet the RT has a larger surface area which allows for more air force to be applied on the on/off pin. IMHOP I would also say the ULT, because the stroke would be shorter.

athomas
06-28-2006, 05:08 PM
You can make the RT on-off just as short as the ULT. Plus, the shims in the ULT affect the sear to pin relationship. Taking the sear out of the equation, also removes the shims and distance from the equation. Therefore, the main difference is the force on the top of the pin. The RT pin has more force due to a larger area and should have a quicker return due to that.

Pneumagger
06-28-2006, 05:42 PM
You can make the RT on-off just as short as the ULT. Plus, the shims in the ULT affect the sear to pin relationship. Taking the sear out of the equation, also removes the shims and distance from the equation. Therefore, the main difference is the force on the top of the pin. The RT pin has more force due to a larger area and should have a quicker return due to that.

One of the reasons the RT sear has a larger and snappier force is because the on off pin head has less clearance around it. So there is more resistance making it more reactive as it pushes. That is one of the reasons there is more force. That is why I choose ULT as the higher flowing.

This is the idea behind the Mod that widens the inlet port on the top of the RT on off with a drill. To give it more flow.

Asym
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
This is the idea behind the Mod that widens the inlet port on the top of the RT on off with a drill. To give it more flow.
It widens the top, but the main restriction is still the cut off point which is the oring. That is still your most restrictive point that doesn't change and why all the early mods done to open up the on/offs didn't really do anything, all the airflow still has to pass through the on/off oring.

That being said, the RT has a larger oring and pin which gives a greater potential volume of air to pass at the same pressure. You can add more shims to a ULT to adjust the pin to open up as soon as possible but the same can be done with an RT by grinding your pin or spending $8 each for different length pins from AGD.

I don't think it would matter which cycles faster, it would be more of a which would recharge faster allowing the gun to cycle faster without drop off. The RT "should" recharge faster since its really a larger valve with better flow rates.