PDA

View Full Version : Should i join the awesome side?

paintballfiend
06-30-2006, 02:32 AM
I am still thinking about my next gun purchase. I have a Spyder Rodeo, esp trigger frame, Rocochet 2KX hopper, and 20 oz CO2. Should i get a mag, or would i have to spend more for a Hp tank? or should i just go electro? Please help me with this dilemma.

yeahthatsme
06-30-2006, 03:14 AM
honestly, asking on a forum based around automags isnt the greatest idea. your best bet would be to do some research on the guns in your price range, try some at your local field/shop, and buy what fits you best.

VFX_Fenix
06-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Come to a Mag forum and expect to get advice that may ultimately direct you to the doors of AGD.

Either way your looking at a significant outlay of cash by switching from your Spyder to a "Performance" gun simply because you'll probably want to buy an HPA tank, barrel (single/kit), hopper (if the old Rico isn't cutting the mustard for ya) and a few other nick-naks.

So the question that should probably be running through your head about now is, "How much do I want to spend?"

From there you can make a decission. Be aware the only 'Mag that'll handle CO2 is the Classic Valve if you want to cut corners. Apart from the Classic Mag, your only other real bets for performance guns lie in mech Cockers, Smart Parts (with some doctoring of your CO2 cylinder), and at least the older generations of Matrix guns (again, some doctoring of your CO2 cylinder will be needed).

In all reality, going from an ESP Spyder to a Mech Mag will be... shocking I think. You won't be able to shoot as quickly if you've done any trigger work on your ESP frame so possibly ask yourself if you're looking for a better gun or a gun that'll be easier to shoot faster (apart from gains in reliability).

NewbieMagMan10988
06-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Come to a Mag forum and expect to get advice that may ultimately direct you to the doors of AGD.

He is right...

Mags make great guns. It's not cheap to upgrade a mag like your spyder. For example, a new valve/bolt/spring kit might cost $40 for a spyder, where on a mag its like $200ish for an Xvalve (i think?)

Mags will shoot great

So will spyders...

It all comes down to what YOU want to shoot. I really recomend that you go and shoot as many guns as possible. Ask guys at your field if you can shoot 50ish balls with thier guns. 8 times out of 10 they will let you. See what you like best...and go with that (mag or not :eek: )

:p

Good luck searching!

Mike

REDRT
06-30-2006, 08:29 AM

One would think. :rolleyes: It sure seems like alot of people here don't even own mags anymore or maybe even never have. :eek: Anyway my point is it sure seems like all too often it is anything but here on AO. :(

Should i get a mag, or would i have to spend more for a Hp tank? or should i just go electro? Please help me with this dilemma.

LP or HP tanks are the same price. You should consider them over Co2 anyway. The question of markers is more owner preferance than anything. I personally have all mags. The only non mag I ever had was a spyder se. It was crap! Though they are most likely way better these day I still remember the first one and the disappointment I had. I have never been disappointed in any of my mags. My favorite being the Emag. I can't however just have a stocker. Everyone of them is cosmeticly and/or machanically tweaked to my liking.
Just how good IMO is any mag? Well I've had no interest in owning or using anything else in over a decade.

slade
06-30-2006, 08:38 AM
One would think. :rolleyes: It sure seems like alot of people here don't even own mags anymore or maybe even never have.
i was gonna say. it took a while for someone to realize that.

id say buy a nitro tank and good hopper first, since whatever you upgrade to, youre going to need to have them anyway. after that, get a cheap but nice electro. if you must buy new, id suggest a promaster. if buying used is okay, there are plenty of good options. you can just look around the B/S/T forum.

personman
06-30-2006, 05:16 PM
He is right...

Mags make great guns. It's not cheap to upgrade a mag like your spyder. For example, a new valve/bolt/spring kit might cost $40 for a spyder, where on a mag its like $200ish for an Xvalve (i think?)
But there is a difference, you see. The upgrades for mags actually DO things.

:)

going_home
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Come to the dark side.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/?action=view&current=60684778.jpg

peewee
06-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Come to the dark side.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/?action=view&current=60684778.jpg

:eek: No, dont do it!!! :D nice gun....

nate2k191
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
It's not cheap to upgrade a mag like your spyder. For example, a new valve/bolt/spring kit might cost $40 for a spyder, where on a mag its like $200ish for an Xvalve (i think?)

Mags will shoot great

So will spyders...
Mike

but one thing is that an upgraded spyder bolt does basically nothing, while the upgraded mag bolt allows you to cycle over 26 bps, makes it impossible to chop, and is a lot lighter.

mags will shoot great, spiders might sometimes, for a while.

get a mag, bias or not i don't care. figure out what you want (pump, semi, scenario, electro) then buy that mag.

slade
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
makes it impossible to chop
:rolleyes:

buzzboy
06-30-2006, 09:25 PM
but one thing is that an upgraded spyder bolt does basically nothing, while the upgraded mag bolt allows you to cycle over 26 bps, makes it impossible to chop, and is a lot lighter.
Since when did LX let you cycle over 26? Or does it effect CPS in any way?

Beemer
06-30-2006, 09:50 PM
But there is a difference, you see. The upgrades for mags actually DO things.

:)

Shhh, dont go telling everyone now. :ninja: :cheers: "chuff chuff"

nate2k191
06-30-2006, 11:16 PM
slade - i should say near impossible, but crappy broken paint doesnt count, and my LX hasnt chopped yet.

buzzboy - i meant with the X-valve, thats the 200 dollar part he was talking about anyway, and i can shoot 26 with it.

buzzboy
07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
slade - i should say near impossible, but crappy broken paint doesnt count, and my LX hasnt chopped yet.

buzzboy - i meant with the X-valve, thats the 200 dollar part he was talking about anyway, and i can shoot 26 with it.
:rolleyes: whoops! I was thinking LX. NRVM

tyrion2323
07-01-2006, 11:00 AM
It all depends on you, your budget and your style of play.

You might want to take a look at some used Intimidators, Freestyles, older Cyborgs. These are still fairly high-end guns. If you're looking for a mechanical, I would definitely recommend an automag, although they take a bit of time to break in.

Remember one thing:

NO GUN IS THE BEST. Not automags. Not Egos. Not anything. In the high-end range, there are so many guns which are comparable, it's ridiculous. In the mid-end range, there are definitely several nice markers to consider!

That being said, I wouldn't place Mags in the same category as high-end electros (except, of course, some xmags and emags). They serve different functions. Anyone who tries to tell you that mech mags are as fast/good as intimidators is serving you a load of crap, but in terms of mechanicals, mags are one of the nicest guns out there.

Ace12GA
07-01-2006, 11:37 AM
I have 2 spyders, an origional, and a rodeo. They're ok, and you can do all kinds of fun stuff with them. I also have 2 classic mags. Guess which ones get used a lot more. My Spyders are now my loner gear, while my mags are my mains. I play woodsball though, not tourney. Classic mags are great woodsball guns.