PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have an HHR?

Arstron
06-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I am fixing to trade my truck for one and have been looking over the internet for a wiring harness to hook up to an aftermarket radio, but I havnt found any information on what type to get. I have a pioneer head unit (with xm reciever), 2 planet audio 400 watt amps, 1 zapco 150 amp, 2 Image Dynamic 10's, and a set of focal 6.5" speakers for one of the doors. I have run that setup in my past 4 trucks (extended cab sonoma, 2 regular cab gmc work trucks, and a regular cab colorado), and it has sounded great in them, im affraid with the more air space though that I will have to pick up another set of focal speakers for the doors, a set of tweeters, and a new 4 chanel amp, maybe 2 more ID subs also, then I will be set. ;)

For those that have had their hhr's for awhile, what do you think of it? I've liked the looks of them since the first one I saw, and they drive very good, but ive only been driving one for a day.

Dye Angel Guy
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
have not owned one but they are very heavy at over 4k but have the vette engine and go to the magazine store this week. I guess you can make it an 12 seconds car pretty cheap...Motor Trend, I think.

Arstron
07-02-2006, 09:03 AM
have not owned one but they are very heavy at over 4k but have the vette engine and go to the magazine store this week. I guess you can make it an 12 seconds car pretty cheap...Motor Trend, I think.

Vette engine? I think you are confusing the HHR and SSR. The SSR is a corvette that looks like a truck. The HHR is a 4cyl small panel wagon. With an automatic transmison and no other options, the HHR can sticker for as low as $16,890.00 (all of them include power windows, door locks, keyless entry, remote start). When you compare the ride quality to the price, it is very smooth over bumps, very responsive. If the HHR came with the colorado's 5cyl as an option, it would make for a very sporty small car.

Eagle
07-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't know about the HHR, but I'm guessing based on the fact that it's a new GM, you probably need a special harness. I have a 2003 Grand Am, and I know I went through a world of trouble to find one. The problem is that they route some of the functions from the cars ECU (electronic control unit, or computer if you will) through the radio. When I was looking for harnesses in late 03 there were 2 options. At the profesional car adio place they had this big *** harness that ran from the dash to the trunk and you had to hook the old sterio up there (needless to say, that didn't happen) and just the harness itself would cost $200. After about a month of searching, I found a much easer and cheaper set up at Ciruit City (Best Buy said they wouldn't touch a car like mine because of the complexity involved). Basically it was a fairly typical harness with a little black box on it that took control of the functions that were used in the stock radio, cost about $80.

Hope this helped.

Arstron
07-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah the Metra harness I belive is what your talking about. I was told I needed one of them for my 04 colorado when I got it, but buy hooking up a silverado wiring harness to it everything worked except for the annoying chimes. I hate door/blinker chimes (atleast the blinkers in the colorado and hhr). If I have to I can just hardwire the speakers and run a new hot and acc wire from under the hood.

On a side note, I did find the HHR Fan club site (hhrfan.org), but I had no luck of finding anything there becuse I refuse to pay $35 to join a forum!

Dye Angel Guy
07-02-2006, 03:42 PM
my mistake, you are correct. I was thinking SSR and not HHR.