PDA

View Full Version : Looks bad : Trade woes

Toll
07-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, not trade per se...Just trade of money for goods.

The short version of the story : I sent the MO, he confirmed he got the MO, he cashed the MO and never sent out the marker. That was 45 days ago. He confirms now that he "forgot about it and has trying to get in touch with me"....Yeah.

It seems shipping will be a problem as he is "flat broke" but he has it all in a box in his closet ready to ship...I told him to look through and make sure everything was there (as I refuse to be stiffed anymore) and he ofcourse says that's too much work..but "w.e man"...

I can see this going bad. Very, very quickly. I told him to get my marker shipped to me or give me my money back and that's the end of it...But I have a feeling neither is going to happen. I guess all that's left is the ultimatum of "Hi, Indiana Police dept?" but I'd rather not go there right away.

Any suggestions?

As back up I have every pm/agreement/shift in deal there has been so it's all documented.

bleachit
07-01-2006, 11:15 AM
uhhhhhhhhh

45 days later is not exactly "right away"

get on it now, or at least thats my suggestion.

geekwarrior
07-01-2006, 11:26 AM
uhhhhhhhhh

45 days later is not exactly "right away"

get on it now, or at least thats my suggestion.

agreed....tell him to have proof of shipping by Mon or you will call the police.....there's no excuse for waiting that long

not anybody on AO is it :ninja:

Toll
07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
PBN :rolleyes:

I fully expect to get the marker and simply have it missing everything and broken.

afortuna
07-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, not trade per se...Just trade of money for goods.

The short version of the story : I sent the MO, he confirmed he got the MO, he cashed the MO and never sent out the marker. That was 45 days ago. He confirms now that he "forgot about it and has trying to get in touch with me"....Yeah.

It seems shipping will be a problem as he is "flat broke" but he has it all in a box in his closet ready to ship...I told him to look through and make sure everything was there (as I refuse to be stiffed anymore) and he ofcourse says that's too much work..but "w.e man"...

I can see this going bad. Very, very quickly. I told him to get my marker shipped to me or give me my money back and that's the end of it...But I have a feeling neither is going to happen. I guess all that's left is the ultimatum of "Hi, Indiana Police dept?" but I'd rather not go there right away.

Any suggestions?

As back up I have every pm/agreement/shift in deal there has been so it's all documented.

I had a kid offer to buy my ION, when it was for sale, but he wanted to ship at the same time. I made him take a picture of the cashier's check, email it to me, and give me a confirmation number for the shipping. I packaged my marker up and printed out the Priority mail label. I gave him the tracking number. Lucky for me, I held the package until I actually got payment. Lucky I waited, because the kid didn't actually mail anything but an empty envelope. Wouldn't return my email's or phone calls. Buyer beware.

You could take a drive. Make it a weekend getaway.

Toll
07-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm up in Canada, which makes it even worse. Which is kind of why I didn't want to go the police route

Though I hear people in Indiana aren't adverse to lynching, so maybe there's hope yet.

usagi_tetsu
07-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Depends on who you got the money order from, a lot of the time. I always get mine from the US Post Office, as they tend to look at non-delivery of goods paid by USPS MO's as mail fraud. Even if you don't get your MO from the USPS, if you send your MO via the USPS, and no delivery, it's still mail fraud - a federal offense with attached prison nastiness you don't want to contemplate.

Sadly, Toll, I don't know if they consider it mail fraud if the letter originated in another country. But worth a look. *shrug*

Steelrat
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Depends on who you got the money order from, a lot of the time. I always get mine from the US Post Office, as they tend to look at non-delivery of goods paid by USPS MO's as mail fraud. Even if you don't get your MO from the USPS, if you send your MO via the USPS, and no delivery, it's still mail fraud - a federal offense with attached prison nastiness you don't want to contemplate.

Sadly, Toll, I don't know if they consider it mail fraud if the letter originated in another country. But worth a look. *shrug*

I hope you weren't counting on federal prosecution for failure to render a paintball gun, because it's not going to happen, unless you are best buddies with the Chief of the criminal section of the local United States Attorneys Office. The advantage of USPS money orders is that images of the negotiated money orders are maintained forever, so you can get a copy which can be used in a civil action, or an investigation involving local law enforcement.

Toll , if you used a USPS money order, go to your local post office and request a copy of it. You will need the money order number, which will be listed on the receipt portion of the MO you should have kept, or your receipt from when you purchased it. Once you get it, you will need to get in touch with local law enforcement on his end. Its sad to say, but if they don't seem to responsive, pester them. That includes talking to the chief. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

peewee
07-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I know that if you were in the states & had mailed payment thru USPS that you would have some recourse. I was stiffed on a deal buying a saddle for my wife, the gal failed to deliver on my saddle & evidently a couple others. We all contacted USPS & they launched an investigation short version she went to jail. We only recieved part of the money back.

Toll
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
No, I sent it via Toronto Dominion Bank. On monday I will have to check if they keep them

He says in his own words in the pms that he had infact recieved the money.

paintball_fiend
07-02-2006, 03:51 PM
i know how you feel
http://paintmagazine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5150

Toll
07-07-2006, 07:01 PM
So now he's ignoring me. Time to litigate. Starting points?

jsdatjsd
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
So now he's ignoring me. Time to litigate. Starting points?

Hire a collection agency. The sooner yo udo it, the bigger % cut they will give you for $$$ collected.

If you go past about 60 days, most collection agencies won't touch it.

Nice thing about an agency, is its civil action ,and they will hound him for the next seven years.

Being in a different country makes legal action difficult, but an agency won't care. They will just want proof that the money/product is owed.

Bad thing about collections: most won't take one-off jobs like yours and most keep 40-80% of the collected money.

If someone else knows more about collections, let us know.

IMHOP: go paypal, or an online escrow account next time.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

just .02

BigEvil
07-07-2006, 08:15 PM
I HATE dealing with all of those PBN pre-puberty Assclowns. The couple of deals I made over there had me loosing sleep at night. One guy I swore to God I was going to get on a plane to SC and knock on his door. THe beauty of being a 285lb weight lifting Italian is that people outside of NY who watch the Sopranos all think Im in the mob.

Well, best of luck getting this resolved. If you ever need any muscle in NJ/NY LMK. I work for fair prices. :shooting: :eek: How does the BigEvil Collection Adjency sound?

surfbum
07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
How does the BigEvil Collection Adjency sound?

dude i think you are on to something with that company idea
sounds mean... maybe even a little bit evil? (bad joke i know, gimme a break)

Toll
07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Standard message has been sent with the title of "You have 5 days to reply".

atm I am getting my list together of things I have to do (being unemployed = all day to be a pain in this guy's ***)

1) Locate the number to his local police dept
2) Find an email adress to forward the information to
3) Find his home phone number
4) Talk with my local police to see what kinda of steps would be taken...

Basically get all of that + what ever else I add on done by Monday and then wait for the ultimatum date to expire. Collection agency seems a bit over the top for 200$.

Hoping the threat of "I have all my ducks in a row to make your summer unpleasent" will simply scare him into complying.

coyote
07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Neet thing about small claims court...

The victim can file suit in the jurisdiction in where he lives if the case is something like mail fraud. The dirtbag can be served by certified mail. He won't show for the hearing, which most likely means you win by default.

Once that is done you can attach wage, open a mechanics lein, and put the damaging info on their credit report.

If this idiot is just a kid, mom and dad might get the surprise of a lifetime having legal papaerwork show up at their doorstep.

rlmatthews
07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
So, he's in Indiana? Can you be a bit more specific as to where?
I'm in the NE corner, near Ft Wayne.

Have basball bat, will travel. :)

In all seriousness, if he's in the area I can look him up and see what's going on for you.

PM me if you're interested in my help.

Good luck either way.

Aslan
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I've never paid more than $130 for anything online...and in the cases where it gets much more than $50...I get very weary. I actually factor feedback and how many posts a person has in the forum into my decision to buy.

For guys/kids with very few posts, they get low-balled and they ship first. I'm just not going to take the chance.

For transactions where it's alot of money (more than $50), I check the person's feedback very closely. And if they try some thing where they say they have feedback somewhere else...not gonna happen...gotta have feedback in the forum you're selling in.

I also use Paypal whenever possible. If there's a dispute, boom....it's taken care of. I just filed my first ever claim against a ebay seller that sold me some cheap 9V battery charger that doesn't work. There have been sales for items at a decent price that I've passed on just because the person wouldn't take Paypal, wanted a MO. I actually refuse to use money orders because I don't feel like paying $1.50 when I have a perfectly good checking account I can use for free. If they say no to a check and demand a money order, I guess I don't need what they're selling.

Call the local police department in the town where you shipped it. Give them the address. Be nice, be polite, kidly ask them if they would go there and check on it. They probably will and it's probably some kid who will be in alot of trouble with his parents. The downside is that if it's some guy and he starts telling some story about how he sent the money or you did something to him...the police will probably say, "screw it" and just leave.