PDA

View Full Version : NAV question

bentothejam1n
07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
So when i've been running live update i get this message "LU1875 This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase". I googled it and I found this site (http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=201175) about it. go down to post seven and it explains how to fix it. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how they fixed it. Also i just wanted to double check with somebody that that way in the link couldnt mess with my computer

thecavemankevin
07-05-2006, 12:41 PM
sorry, the best way to fix a problem with Norton is to format....well thats the best thing to do to any system infected with Norton. sorry couldnt be of more help. good luck though

MarkM
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
thecavemankevin = Obviously not a fan of Norton.

bentothejam1n.
You have an old version of Norton and the Liveupdate for that version plays up from time to time there is a another way of going into the files needed by bypassing Liveupdate (I had this too with the 2004 version) the url worked but it meant downloading and then unpacking the file. The link is found by going to symantec.com and then manually updating the virus definitions, a bit of a pain but in the end I just bought the newer version rather than patch up the one I had. The cost difference was actually $20 less than doing the annual update fee, due to a store closing down as they were clearing their stock. I now have the current version again as it worked out to be cheaper than going down the upgrade route, my version was actually free due to someone sending me the disk by accident, sometimes you have to love databases from stores :D But if you do go forward with buying the latest or a later version you will have to delete absolutely everything to do with Norton on your hard drive first, it isn't only in one folder ;) miss any bits and the install will appear to go correctly until you start to do the updates and from fresh the updates take at least 3 goes before you have all the files needed. So you don't need to reformat a thing just clean up properly before you start

Search around as the 2006 version can be found for less than $45

bentothejam1n
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
to clear a few things up i have 2003. Even though i renewed the service it doesn't have any updates on the site for the 03 NAV, just 04 and on. if i would have looked at the update part of symantec before today and in April, then i would not have resubscribed. I'm considering just getting the 06 version but deleting all the files kind of scares me. How would i find all of the files? just by searching "norton"? Thanks for all of your help so far Mark

MarkM
07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
You simply use the Add + Remove within Windows to get rid of the bulk of the files you then have to manually go through Windows Explorer (Right click on the start button and choose explore) then look for either Norton or Symantec in the list within programs under the C drive, also check Common files as there could still be Symantec files in this folder.
Click on All Users then click on Application Data and you will find the other Symantec folder there, the other place you may have a folder left is under your own user name but all you have to do with any files you find AFTER you have run Add + Remove is highlight these sections I have told you about and simply delete them. You may get a warning or two but ignore them, restart the machine and you will have NO Norton left...perhaps a desktop icon but that will be all and the deletion of that shortcut is to simply pick it up and put it in the recycle bin.
Once again before all the click here click there YOU MUST have already ran Add + Remove first.
After that is all done just install the new Norton and do everything it asks you to do, this all sounds a little complicated but you can do it all (the deletions) in less than 10 mins.

Because Norton goes in so many places is one of the reasons some people don't like it...it is easy enough to deal with if you know where to look ;)

bentothejam1n
07-05-2006, 05:20 PM
ah thank you so much Mark

thecavemankevin
07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
several years ago when i had norton (before i learned my leason) i bought a copy off ebay. It was 2004 so i was able to buy a new copy of 03 for a few bucks and it still came with a full 1 year subscription. So if you go on ebay you likely can find a copy of 05 for dirt cheap brand new with a full 1 year subscription from the time you install it.

However, i would recomend against it. Now of course there are problems with both major companies and neither is 100% effective (nothing is, cept no computer) but McAfee is much better. I currently use the enterprise eddition both at home and work (got a free copy from work with subscription forever). Norton has a much slower response time to new viruses then most companies out there, and in my opinion a much lower success rate. A few years ago my comp caught one of the well known and older versions of the sober (sp?) virus. The virus had been around for some time, i had up to date deffinitions and should have been protected by Norton. However, i still got infected, Norton could not find it when i did a scan and of course could not remove it. I had to manually remove it and do you know where i got the instructions on how to get rid of it? McAfee's site, Norton didnt have any sort of instructions on their site.

Plus i dont like the fact that Norton was found to be useing root kit DRM's. <------very dirty :nono:
I also dont like the fact that Norton is basically imposible to completely remove, there will always be traces on your system until you format.

but if you must, the ebay option is good and cheap