PDA

View Full Version : Newbie car question.

-Tab
07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a 1991 Honda Accord. I thought I pretty much had this thing all figured out - until I needed to add some automatic transmission fluid.
So...where do I add this?

I haven't really found a good site for specific answers and don't really feel like registering to a car forum when I know there are quite a few enthusiasts on here.

Thanks in advance!

Thordic
07-05-2006, 06:08 PM
You pour it down the dipstick hole. Use a clean funnel. Add it a little bit at a time so you don't overfill. Your manual should tell you how much to add at a time, for some reason 250ml comes to mind but I may be wrong.

Make sure you use the right fluid (there are different kinds, only use the type listed in your manual).

-Tab
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
You pour it down the dipstick hole. Use a clean funnel. Add it a little bit at a time so you don't overfill. Your manual should tell you how much to add at a time, for some reason 250ml comes to mind but I may be wrong.

Make sure you use the right fluid (there are different kinds, only use the type listed in your manual).

I was almost sure it went down the dipstick tube, but needed to be sure. And I've got everything else figured out (how much, what kind to use)

Thanks!

skife
07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
remember to check it while the car is running.

Carbon Blue
07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
hopefully you didnt add it to the oil dipstick tube? :wow:

skife
07-06-2006, 07:54 PM

my great grandma tried to do that once.
she added a whole quart through the tube.

Lohman446
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM

:) most engines it wouldnt hurt that much. I have actually heard of people adding a quart of transmission fluid to free up stuck lifters. The aggressive detergents do a number, and break up a lot of carbon.

bleachit
07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
that is rather interesting to know lohman, thank you for that info.

*debates whether he should try it.

Lohman446
07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
that is rather interesting to know lohman, thank you for that info.

*debates whether he should try it.

People who do it *tries to look innocent* also know that a lot of carbon in the oil is not a good thing, and tend to change the oil after 100 or 200 miles.

bleachit
07-06-2006, 08:55 PM
ahh, even better to know

Carbon Blue
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
:) most engines it wouldnt hurt that much. I have actually heard of people adding a quart of transmission fluid to free up stuck lifters. The aggressive detergents do a number, and break up a lot of carbon.

actually now that I think about it, I have heard that before. I remember after a really long storage a friend of mine used tranny fluid to clean out his motor. :rolleyes:

BeaverEater
07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
you can add tranny fluid to your oil to help free up carbon, but you do so right before an oil change. They make a lot of additives that do this too.

oneworld
07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
i did that with my old eclpise.. my lifers tickes so loud you could hear them about any where in down.. so i threw some tranny fluid in there... greatly reduced the noise.. i was happy.

oneworld
07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
o yeah... the engine blew about a week after that :D

thought i would add that

-Tab
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Uhhh...wait. So you're saying....

Just kidding. It did take me a while to find my ATF dipstick tube, though. It was practically under my battery. Trying to get a funnel in there was like watching 2 monkeys trying to breed a football.
I was hoping that would have helped my transmission problem, but no luck. :(
What really sucks is it's going to be super expensive to work on.
What really, really sucks is that I just had to replace the entire back window on one of our business trucks. I've been driving the truck lately since my car has been down. I took it paintballing one night and locked the keys in the truck. I eventually ended up shattering part of the back sliding window to get my paintball gear out.

It wasn't really intentional, but I didn't care at all at the time. I just had to play.

-Tab
07-07-2006, 12:19 AM
o yeah... the engine blew about a week after that :D

thought i would add that

That's the best thing that ever happened to that car.