PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Alright, there's gotta be some audiophiles on AO...

I'm looking to purchase some nice open circumaural cans and have a budget of 150-200. Of course I'll be powering it off a portable amp (since I want to take my music with me).

Suggestions?

I'm thinking the Sennheiser HD595, Audio-Technica ATH AD-900, or Beyerdynamic DT880.

Also, what are some good places to buy from for good prices?

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I have some 580s, and they sound superb. They are also extremely comfortable. I have listened to, but not owned, some beyerdynamic, and they sounded fine, though not as smooth. I have no experience with Audio-Technica.

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

EDIT: I love shopping on audiogon.com. Nothing like paying half price for lightly used equipment. My main speakers, center channel, and my entire downstairs speaker system all came from audiogon. I saw a couple of HD600s that were new go for the low 200s. Audio advisor also carries Sennheiser http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Sennheiser&MFGID=111

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I hear that the Sennheiser HD5xx series aren't as bassy as other headphones. I tend to listen to hip hop and jazz and funkstyles. How does your HD580 hold up to that style of music?

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Just fine. I consider their bass to be accurate. A lot of 'can manufacturers, like speaker manufacturers, will add a subtle rise in the low end frequency response to give the impression that the speakers produce better base, but it's all artificial. Most music, especially the popular releases, contain very little low bass information. Keep in mind that 90% or more of recordings are intended for mass consumption, and so the recording engineers set them up to play on cheap, mass-market equipment. That means pumped up mid bass and low, or no, real bass, as cheap systems just can't handle that.

I love to hear the bass when it's really there, and the 580s deliver. For an open air system, you really can't compare it to a large driver (full range speaker or sub) moving huge amounts of air, as it just can't compete. If you are looking for deep deep base response in a 'can, you need to look at a sealed system like etymonic or shure.

EDIT: One of the things I listen to is jazz, and they work great. Fourplay recordings generally are well-recorded, and they sound awesome on the 580s.

rkjunior303
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
www.etymotic.com

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
www.etymotic.com

Didn't I just say that? ;)

EDIT: What is your source going to be? If it is anything other than a home system, you should look into a headphone amp, like the headrooms.

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Source is computer, home audio, and mp3.

I'm having my dad pick up a LDMicro+ while he's in china. I'm just going to stick to a portable solid state amp for now since I can carry it around while I listen to mp3s.

edit: My cheap closed cans do okay on pop music right now but I still notice lack in the quality of the lows and the highs aren't very good either. I could probably eq and fix the problem but I'd rather have have something that doesn't have those problems.

Also, I'm not looking for any closed systems so that means no sealed in-ear headphones.

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Source is computer, home audio, and mp3.

I'm having my dad pick up a LDMicro+ while he's in china. I'm just going to stick to a portable solid state amp for now since I can carry it around while I listen to mp3s.

Headrooms are portable solid state ;)

I'd go with a cheaper senn for mp3s. The compression degrades the sound so much you will not notice the difference. Yes, even with the highest level of encoding, it still sounds like crap. For some reason, for me, the worst effects are in the bass. It seems to boost the midbass, and ruin the bass. That being said, I've been known to use my 580s with my ipod.

The biggest part of sound reproduction is the transducer, but it's not the ONLY important part.

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Headrooms are portable solid state ;)

I'd go with a cheaper senn for mp3s. The compression degrades the sound so much you will not notice the difference. Yes, even with the highest level of encoding, it still sounds like crap. For some reason, for me, the worst effects are in the bass. It seems to boost the midbass, and ruin the bass. That being said, I've been known to use my 580s with my ipod.

The biggest part of sound reproduction is the transducer, but it's not the ONLY important part.

Well how much are Headrooms?

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
The airhead model seems perfect at $149. http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/

Headroom also sells just about every brand of good headphone on their site, and they rate them (for what it's worth). They are not fans of Beyerdynamic :cool:

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Head-fi and hardforum seem to reccomend beyers along with Audio-technica and Sennheiser. They also like grados but I don't really like the sound of them.

Also headroom seems to be a bit pricey compared to other online stores.

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Head-fi and hardforum seem to reccomend beyers along with Audio-technica and Sennheiser. They also like grados but I don't really like the sound of them.

Also headroom seems to be a bit pricey compared to other online stores.

I just like to look at their comments. You have to respect a place that will trash a headphone that they have for sale.

Like I said, in my experience, the Sennheisers were genreally better then Beyer.

FooTemps
07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I just like to look at their comments. You have to respect a place that will trash a headphone that they have for sale.

Like I said, in my experience, the Sennheisers were genreally better then Beyer.

Beyers were a second thought anyway. I'm more interested in the ATH-AD900 and HD595. They seem comparable, but I'll have to try the hd595 and see how I like them compared to the ad900s.

Steelrat
07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Beyers were a second thought anyway. I'm more interested in the ATH-AD900 and HD595. They seem comparable, but I'll have to try the hd595 and see how I like them compared to the ad900s.

I still think the 595 might be overkill for your application. If you have a limited budget, you'd be better off getting 580s or lower, and a good headphone amp. The amps in mp3 players, most computer cards, and most mid-fi audio systems are total poop. A big set of 'cans needs some juice to drive em.

FooTemps
07-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I still think the 595 might be overkill for your application. If you have a limited budget, you'd be better off getting 580s or lower, and a good headphone amp. The amps in mp3 players, most computer cards, and most mid-fi audio systems are total poop. A big set of 'cans needs some juice to drive em.

Understandable, I'm definitely buying an ammp no matter what with my cans. They say 595s are great for gaming too (which I also will use them for that). I also do music mixing for some performances too. I remember my last mix didn't turn out so well after listening to it on a good system. My current cans just aren't up to par for making tracks.

Steelrat
07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Understandable, I'm definitely buying an ammp no matter what with my cans. They say 595s are great for gaming too (which I also will use them for that). I also do music mixing for some performances too. I remember my last mix didn't turn out so well after listening to it on a good system. My current cans just aren't up to par for making tracks.

I'm sure that 595s are great for gaming, but that's like saying that B&W Nautilus 801s are good computer speakers. Sure, they are great, but you can probably get away with a lot less and still be very happy. 595s are very good headphones, but mega overkill for online gaming. Heck, I'm an audiophile, and I just use some radioshack headset for gaming. As for mastering and mixing, I'd recommend some monitor speakers as opposed to headphones, but that's just me.

No matter what, though, the 595s will rock :headbang:

FooTemps
07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm sure that 595s are great for gaming, but that's like saying that B&W Nautilus 801s are good computer speakers. Sure, they are great, but you can probably get away with a lot less and still be very happy. 595s are very good headphones, but mega overkill for online gaming. Heck, I'm an audiophile, and I just use some radioshack headset for gaming. As for mastering and mixing, I'd recommend some monitor speakers as opposed to headphones, but that's just me.

No matter what, though, the 595s will rock :headbang:

Well, I want portability so that's why I'm not going for monitors. Just magine carrying those things around between houses to work on mixes with people!

How's the build on your 580's? Are they sturdy? How comfortable are they?

edit: Anyone know a place to buy AKG headphones for good prices? I think that I'm dropping the audio-technica headphones from consideration because of the "wing support" system. They don't seem sturdy enough for constant movement. Now I'm looking between the hd595s and K601s and maybe still the ad900s. If anyone can convince mee the "wing" system is safe I might just go for those since they look and sound so sexy.

edit 2: I just decided I'm a basshead... lol

FooTemps
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Update:

Grado SR-225's and my PA2v2 are in! wewt, been listening to the PA2v2 with my old crappy cans and all I can say is that I wish I had an amp earlier. The SR-225 I need to go get my old reciever from my friend so I can get decent sound and I don't have a 3.5mm adapter, lol.

Altimas
08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Gah will you two get a room?!?

Muzikman
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
As for mastering and mixing, I'd recommend some monitor speakers as opposed to headphones, but that's just me.

I'll agree 100% with that. Mixing with headphones is a bad idea.

FooTemps
08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Monitors aren't portable enough for me since I actually go around mixing to get input for the people I'm mixing for. I didn't pick the most neutral cans for mixing either, but whatever, they sound great.

otherwise, I would be using monitors over headphones.

SpecialBlend2786
08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I have a pair of Sennheiser's and a pair of Grados, and I have trouble deciding which one I like better actually.

FooTemps
08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
They are totally different flavors. I really like my grados compared to my old senn earbuds.