PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Towncars ???

Blaze Ya Dead Homie
07-16-2006, 12:11 PM
well my current cars inspection runs out this month and its goin in tommorro for new inspection and i dont think its gunna pass , the underneath is pretty rusted out.

i was lookin in the uncle henry's ( its a local little book where people can sell thigns and stuff. it covers maine , nh and mass, and canada i think. well to get to the point i found a 1988 lincoln town car , shiny white paint , blue cloth roof. NO rust. no rips in the interior , excellent condtion , new tires and a ford 302fi. and meticulas (sp) maint records. 2 owner car.

the only thing that bothers me is it has 214k on it. BUT my mom had the same exact car and it ran great for years up until recently when someone put sugar in her gas. she never had any problems with it and it was awsome. and my grandparents ahve a ford van with a 302 with over 220k on it and it goes between 300 and 400 miles a week ( my grandmother travels alot ) and it still runs mint. most of the parts are original. now im aksing anybody who owns one or is skilled in automotives to tell me if this is a good deal or not. he was asking 1500 but he said with cash he would go 900 or he will just keep the car. is this a good deal or should i keep looking ? thanks

EDIT: how many hp did these cars have stock ? i googled but found nothing. thanks

digitard
07-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Also try keeping an eye on craigslist.com

chettacheez
07-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Look for a Buick Roadmaster, some came equipped with LT1's. A couple bolt-ons and your in the 14's. They're cheap and numerous.

PyRo
07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Sugar in the gas tank doesn't do anything. Her car just crapped out.

warbeak2099
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I'd ignore any domestic car with over 150 miles on it. It might looks great on the outside and all, but within a few months you will be fixing:

The transmission
The breaks
The air conditioning / compressor
Electronics such as the headlights, breaklights, and turn signals (Cheap, but annoying)

American cars over 10 years old are worthless money pits. Now if we were talking about a Honda or Toyota with over 150 miles on it, I'd say go. The reliability just isn't there. Especially in the 1980's. The quality was at it's worst in the 80's through 90's for domestic cars. Trust me, I've been down that road. I've been kicking myself for not spending the extra money and getting a Honda ever since I bought my 95 Chevy Beretta. And that's a GM. Ford and Chrysler products were even worse in the 80's and 90's.

skife
07-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I'd ignore any domestic car with over 150 miles on it. It might looks great on the outside and all, but within a few months you will be fixing:

The transmission
The breaks
Electronics such as the headlights, breaklights, and turn signals (Cheap, but annoying)

American cars over 10 years old are worthless money pits. Now if we were talking about a Honda or Toyota with over 150 miles on it, I'd say go. The reliability just isn't there. Especially in the 1980's. The quality was at it's worst in the 80's through 90's for domestic cars. Trust me, I've been down that road. I've been kicking myself for not spending the extra money and getting a Honda ever since I bought my 95 Chevy Beretta. And that's a GM. Ford and Chrysler products were even worse in the 80's and 90's.

you are dumb.

my dad bought a '91 2wd chevy pickup and drove it for around 300k then he sold it to his work and still drives it around there.

My grand am i had i put 200k on the clock before my dumbass drove it through about a foot and a half of water and it got water in the oil pan. It would still start and run for a few seconds before it would quit.

Buddy of mine has a jeep with 250k on the clock.

Your talking bad quality of the 80's?
have you ever seen any honda's from the 80's? they used really thin sheet metal and rust out quite easy, not saying GM didn't, but they dont rust as bad as compact imports.

not trying to piss in your cheerio's or somthing, but your quite misinformed.

also i just noticed you said the brakes go bad.... ANY car with 150k on the clock and orginal brakes are going to need to have them changed.

Lohman446
07-16-2006, 05:00 PM

The transmission
The breaks

I see. You have experience with many cars a day to be able to make this statement? Or your basing it on a single vehicle?

There is minimal quality differences in cars built anywhere in the world to reasonable standards. Don't fall for the "my great import" BS that floats around from people who really don't have a clue.

There is a reason that taxi companies use the Towncars baby brother the Grand Marquis as there fleet vehicle. There is also a reason they are the top selling police vehicle in the US. They are, in general, a very good vehicle if you can cope with having a big, rear wheel drive boat for lack of a better term.

skife
07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
i just showed my girlfriend this post, she doesn't know much about cars at all and she was saying your dumb about the brakes needing to be changed.
how many cars do you know of on the road with orginal brakes at 150k?

PyRo
07-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I've never seen a cop in a Grand Marquis. Everything here is Crown Vics, Caprices, Impalas, and a few oddball Tahoes, Blazers, and Cherokees.

PyRo
07-16-2006, 06:28 PM
i just showed my girlfriend this post, she doesn't know much about cars at all and she was saying your dumb about the brakes needing to be changed.
how many cars do you know of on the road with orginal brakes at 150k?
It's a rarity but not unheard of. You have to do a hell of a lot of highway driveing though.

rifleman wi
07-16-2006, 06:36 PM
EDIT: how many hp did these cars have stock ? i googled but found nothing. thanks

that 5.0 should last a while.. and the motor is probly the non HO version unlike the mustang so it probly has like less than 200HP

91Foxtrot
07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
1988 Lincoln Towncar = 150 HP, 270 lb-ft Torque.

Lohman446
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I've never seen a cop in a Grand Marquis. Everything here is Crown Vics, Caprices, Impalas, and a few oddball Tahoes, Blazers, and Cherokees.

Oops. And whats the technical difference between a Grand Marquid and a Crown Vic :)

teufelhunden
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I've actually noticed a number of unmarked cars around here [NJSP] that were Marauders [Grand Marquis with a couple extra balls].

PyRo
07-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Oops. And whats the technical difference between a Grand Marquid and a Crown Vic :)
No idea, I don't play with Fords.

Destructo6
07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
ever since I bought my 95 Chevy Beretta. And that's a GM. Ford and Chrysler products were even worse in the 80's and 90's.
I can't vouch for the Chrysler camp, but Fords have always had better build quality than GM.

The Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car are, essentially, the same car. Trim packages and price in ascending order.

Lohman446
07-17-2006, 05:48 AM
No idea, I don't play with Fords.

I think the grill might be different.

PyRo
07-17-2006, 08:53 AM
I think the grill might be different.
If the grill is differant then obviously no other part of the car is the same...

Pneumagger
07-17-2006, 09:12 AM
I drive a 1984? Lincoln Town Car Signature. Was given to me at 180K miles. It has about 220 on it now and runs amazing. The air ride is the smoothest thing you will ever experience - just be sure that is original air ride shocks have been replaced at some point which is normal - its not too expensive. Has plenty of power (thank you ford 5.0L) and a full power everything interior with black leather. All i have ever had to replace was two window motors.

Sure...it shows it's signs of wear and tear, but it is indestructable. Tipping the scales @ 5600lbs, it eat gas like an xmag chews through cases. But i typically get 20-25 MPG Highway and 16-20 MPG City on the dashboard readout, but i drive more on the highway than not. I had my oil changed last month and Firestone ran a complete diagnostic. The look on his face was priceless. He was like, "It seems that there absolutly no problems with your [22 year anceint] car other than you have no treads left on the back tires." Those places typically reccomend you have them replace EVERYTHING that looks suspicios on the reports too.

Great car...lots of room in the front and back...lots of little extras...can easily fit 4-5 bodies in the trunk :ninja: ...you will crush anything in anaccident.
If it was maintained well, and had very few owners who are responisible...I say pick it FTW. When my car dies someday, I'll either get another old style town car and fix it up, or a new Hemi Chrysler 300M .

PYRO...
My father used to own a grand marquis that was a police vehicle. The police drove the **** out of it and it still ran great for years after my father got it. All it ever needed were new shocks/springs when he bought it. There's a reason A vast majority of limosines are Town Cars...the feel of the ride and longevity of the car. The care of a car has a lot more to do with its reliability than make of a car (to a certain extent).

Lohman446
07-17-2006, 09:37 AM
One hint on the Lincolns, watch for air ride. If there are air ride issues they can get very expensive to fix - however there is a replacement unit available for the rear that does away with the air ride

Pneumagger
07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
The air ride on mine was replaced at 80K miles I believe. If the air ride fails, there is a switch in the trunk to disable the compressor and it will ride on the normal coils/shocks like any other car until you can either get the air ride fixed or converted like lohman said. I have never had to use this switch, so I am going by what the i read in the manual a long time ago.

The air ride is ultra smooth and very durable. I believe some of the new cadallacs like the STS or DTS have air ride as an option as vell as the larger volvos.

Lohman446
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
The air ride on mine was replaced at 80K miles I believe. If the air ride fails, there is a switch in the trunk to disable the compressor and it will ride on the normal coils/shocks like any other car until you can either get the air ride fixed or converted like lohman said. I have never had to use this switch, so I am going by what the i read in the manual a long time ago.

The air ride is ultra smooth and very durable. I believe some of the new cadallacs like the STS or DTS have air ride as an option as vell as the larger volvos.

If the air bags on top of the shocks fail though the car ends up sitting low in the rear even with the system off. That switch is meant for when your putting it up on the hoist (as the car will try to level itself and blow out air shocks) or for when hauling very heavy loads to keep the car from burning out the compressor or blowing an air shock when trying to level itself.

Many many cars are equipped with air ride actually, and most work fine.

Pneumagger
07-17-2006, 10:30 AM
If the air bags on top of the shocks fail though the car ends up sitting low in the rear even with the system off. That switch is meant for when your putting it up on the hoist (as the car will try to level itself and blow out air shocks) or for when hauling very heavy loads to keep the car from burning out the compressor or blowing an air shock when trying to level itself.

Many many cars are equipped with air ride actually, and most work fine.

Oh thanks, never knew that. I'll have to remember to turn the air ride off next time your mom gets in my car. :rofl:

//Sorry, not trying to be personal/flame. I couldn't help it...that was a fat momma joke waiting to happen.

Skittle
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh thanks, never knew that. I'll have to remember to turn the air ride off next time your mom gets in my car. :rofl:

:rofl: CLASSIC! lol, I wish we still had sigs for a joke like that...

:cheers:

/ :dance:

PyRo
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
you will crush anything in anaccident.

PYRO...
My father used to own a grand marquis that was a police vehicle.

I'll take that bet, let me just go borrow a skid steer.

That's the first I've ever heard of them being used. I guess they're just too cheap to go for the luxery models here.

Pneumagger
07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
I'll take that bet, let me just go borrow a skid steer.

That's the first I've ever heard of them being used. I guess they're just too cheap to go for the luxery models here.

Well it was like an 1980 car that was g10 years old when he finally got it. I think it may have been a detective or other odd squad car because it didn't have the reiforced frame or lights mount on top. Just the small single light.

Pacifist_Farmer
07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Our car service at work uses Towncars exclusively, they just sold one with 400k miles on it, and it still ran fine.

Of course the majority of those were highway, and those cars are very well maintained.

Blaze Ya Dead Homie
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
so do ya think 900 dollars is a good deal ? it's stickered till march of next year. i was gunna go look at it sometime and take it for a ride.

ottomobile
07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
so do ya think 900 dollars is a good deal ? it's stickered till march of next year. i was gunna go look at it sometime and take it for a ride.

900 is a great deal for any car that runs. Don't listen to the Import people. Nothing runs like an American car. Show me an Asian import that's 40, 60, 80 years old running on the original engine and transmission. Don't think you can. There are litterally 10s of thousands of American cars that old still running. As long as you change the fluids and keep regular maintenance and American car will run for 100 years plus and well over 500,000 miles.
Do the research, you'll see its true.

:cheers: