PDA

View Full Version : Chromed Halo shells? I call shens...

Pha|anx
07-16-2006, 06:58 PM
SPO ain't got nothing on this! :nono: Oh, by the way---

http://jayloo.com/files/pics/37000/chrome_halo_1.JPG
http://jayloo.com/files/pics/37000/chrome_halo_2.JPG
http://jayloo.com/files/pics/37000/chrome_halo_3.JPG

Hmm? Nothing to say now? Thought so....

paintman1234
07-16-2006, 06:59 PM
beautiful

MoeMag
07-16-2006, 07:01 PM
!? where can i get me some of those?

Or did you just paint them?

I have a polished gold ego on the way that, that would look hot on.

Pha|anx
07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
!? where can i get me some of those?
We are still finalizing the details, whether or not this will be limited production run is still up in the air. The final product will run $60 - $70 for a complete set.

Or did you just paint them?
No, it is a chemical plating process from start to finish.

mag_lover05
07-16-2006, 07:20 PM
yea...as soon as it touches anything itll be all scratched and itll look like ooky-pooky...but i guess its a cool idea. heavy though

Pha|anx
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
yea...as soon as it touches anything itll be all scratched and itll look like ****...but i guess its a cool idea. heavy thoughAbsolutely not true... When done properly chrome plating is one of the most scratch resistant finishes out there. Yes, weight is added due to the plating process but the finished product is only slightly heavier then your typical Halo shell.

Chronobreak
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
:eek: $60-70 is a tad steep for shells only(even if it is chrome)

i just think they might look really abd after some ehavy use, but interesting to see how they hold up, if they dont crack the $ may well be worth it

Major Ho
07-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Bring back one of those chromed out cockers and throw this on top :clap:
I love the idea of blinding people on the field with light :rofl:

Double T
07-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes...a nice Aurora cocker with one of those on top...I'd hate to be on the reflected side of that.

Very nice...I might have pick up some of those.

topazpaintball
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Will you do custom plating for parts, say, a superstock pump?

mag_lover05
07-16-2006, 11:29 PM
show me pics after some dives and slides and after its been used for a couple months, if they dont look disgusting i might pic some up, specially if they dont crack. but now the feedneck is gona be UBER thick

Arstron
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
hmm a local company does quiet a bit of plastic chrome plating for GM, I might have to talk to some of my friends and see if they can hook me up with somthing like that. I never thought about doing it to a hopper, although I have for other stuff. :D

Is the inside covered as well? How thick is the chrome? I am sure its not thick enough to effect paint in the feed tube, but still am currious. :D

MoeMag
07-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Wait....
Are these metal or plastic?

I didnt know you plate metal onto plastic, or at least I never thought about it. I guess you can put a charge on plastic.

how about it flaking off?

Cool. :headbang:

I will have to say about the coolest shell i have seen was a clear one that was airbrushed from the inside to match a tequila faded gun.

pennywise
07-17-2006, 01:03 AM
They're cool if you like the bling. Not my dish though.

Arstron
07-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Wait....
Are these metal or plastic?

I didnt know you plate metal onto plastic, or at least I never thought about it. I guess you can put a charge on plastic.

how about it flaking off?

Cool. :headbang:

I will have to say about the coolest shell i have seen was a clear one that was airbrushed from the inside to match a tequila faded gun.

I am assuming they are plastic. Look at the chrome grills on chevy trucks, those are plastic. They take a beating from bugs and debris, but they still look pretty good for a fairly long time. I am sure the process is pretty similar to what they do on those.

Pneumagger
07-17-2006, 08:31 AM
yes plastic can be chrome plated and conductance is not much of a hurdle. The surface is impregnated with a material conducive to bonding metals. A thin copper film is then deposited on the surface. Copper accepts other metals very readily to be vacuum deposited onto it which is why it is a common base for VDM (vacuum deposited metals). A metal of your choice is then vaccuum deposited on the base copper in a layer of only a dozen or so angtroms thick. So thickness of a vaccum deposited material usually is not an issue.

A common substitute for chrome plating on plastic (or other metals for that fact) is a vacuum depostited nickel which is a safer and cheaper process. However, a silver vacuum deposited surface with a thin protective overcoat of PTFE or AOC will provide the best reflectivity and shine, but nearly no one deposits silver for small batch parts. If you really want some eyepopping, use a dichroic film overcoat (aurora look) or a gold vacuum deposit (bling look). :wow: I've seen this stuff on plastics and man does it look cool. I wish I could post some pictures of these last two, but I wouldn't be allowed :(

A different method that most consider true chrome plating involves the same basic steps as before where a compound is applied to the plastic, a copper base is added, then nickel. However, once the nickel is added, the piece is now conductive and can be traditionally chromium plated. This process provides a noticably thicker but more durable finish. This surface is more prone to chipping rather than scuffing or scratching.

A quick google search showed 2 companies that each use one of the mentioned methods.

Vacuum Coating: http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/
Plating: http://www.aki.co.uk/page/chrome_plating

slateman
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Damn . . . thats hot

Rudz
07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Ill take a set, I'm not into diving and sliding, so I could care less, what you expect me to superman on guns with custom anno? Ill sit in back and cover the lanes.

MoeMag
07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
yes plastic can be chrome plated and conductance is not much of a hurdle. The surface is impregnated with a material conducive to bonding metals. A thin copper film is then deposited on the surface. Copper accepts other metals very readily to be vacuum deposited onto it which is why it is a common base for VDM (vacuum deposited metals). A metal of your choice is then vaccuum deposited on the base copper in a layer of only a dozen or so angtroms thick. So thickness of a vaccum deposited material usually is not an issue.

A common substitute for chrome plating on plastic (or other metals for that fact) is a vacuum depostited nickel which is a safer and cheaper process. However, a silver vacuum deposited surface with a thin protective overcoat of PTFE or AOC will provide the best reflectivity and shine, but nearly no one deposits silver for small batch parts. If you really want some eyepopping, use a dichroic film overcoat (aurora look) or a gold vacuum deposit (bling look). :wow: I've seen this stuff on plastics and man does it look cool. I wish I could post some pictures of these last two, but I wouldn't be allowed :(

A different method that most consider true chrome plating involves the same basic steps as before where a compound is applied to the plastic, a copper base is added, then nickel. However, once the nickel is added, the piece is now conductive and can be traditionally chromium plated. This process provides a noticably thicker but more durable finish. This surface is more prone to chipping rather than scuffing or scratching.

A quick google search showed 2 companies that each use one of the mentioned methods.

Vacuum Coating: http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/
Plating: http://www.aki.co.uk/page/chrome_plating

Thanks for the info... learn something everyday.
:cheers:

Well I have a polished gold ego waiting for me in boston this weekend (I love my job!!! :bounce: pics asap! ) and it is getting green accent parts on it. Anyway I have been trying to figure out what kind of hopper shell would match the awsome bling of it :cool: . I have had the same cruddy blue shell for some time now and they are well past their time. I have been thinking green but IDK. Though I do still play mostly bush ball, so my hopper needs to be somewhat versitale.

If these are made avalible within a week or two I might pick one up depending on price I suppose 60 is fair but I would have to think about it.

manike
07-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I had some chrome halo shells done a year or so back. Trouble is they didn't hold up too well to scratches. Hopefully yours will do better. :)

RapidTransit
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Plastic chroming, spray it with paint impregnated with conductive particles, when testing with a multimeter the paint will show no conductivity but not to worry its all there. Then it gets chromed. Its fairly straightforward... Which reminds me I need to get all my plastic peices rechromed on the Challenger :tard: Maybe I can throw in a shell on "accident" oops :spit_take

Chromed plastic does not really hold up atleast from what I see but then again I am talking about what I see in Chrysler cars... 36 years of abuse with a chromed bumper still holds up better then plastic chromed in areas typically that see no wear like a guage bezel.

Pneumagger
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
the durability is really dependant on a few things.

First and foremost is the base plastic. The best plastic I know of to chrome with either the vaccum deposit or electroplating is a hight density ABS plastic. I believe Acetals (Delrin) and Noylons make durable bases also. I think halo shells are a derivative of polycarbonates? Not sure how durable the coat is on polycarbonates.

Obviously the quality of the process is a large factor. This includes how clean was the plastic, purity of materials, thickness, uniformity, and what protective coating is aplied.

Finally, how nice is the gun that is using the chromed halo? A good gun is incentive for the chrome to want to stay around a bit longer. Wouldn't you?

manike
07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Yes, halo shells are polycarbonate.

Meph
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Those do look quite nice. And I'm skeptical about a finish holding up in paintball but open to give it a shot. However for $60 bucks... it's nice but not that nice. Maybe chrome hybrid shells for $60, but regular shells can't.

But that's just me. Hope they indeed do hold up as well as planned.

Chaos_Theory!
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Must have, it would look sweet as hell on my gloss silver Ion.

phatphil
07-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Looks nice, but I can't imagine you will sell many at $60+.

Pha|anx
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Looks nice, but I can't imagine you will sell many at $60+.SPO sells shells for that much, Hybrid's are pretty close in cost as well.

Everyone else I will try and answer as I have time.

Pha|anx
07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Will you do custom plating for parts, say, a superstock pump? PM me what you are looking to get done. No promise but I will see what I can do.

I am sure its not thick enough to effect paint in the feed tube, but still am currious.Forgetting something are we? We plate the shells not the drive assembly. :rolleyes:

A quick google search showed 2 companies that each use one of the mentioned methods.Good research.... I will say it again we use a one of a kind process. :p Good try though! :cheers:

I had some chrome halo shells done a year or so back. Trouble is they didn't hold up too well to scratches. Hopefully yours will Your the guy from NPS right? Or somehow associated with NPS R&D?

Plastic chroming, spray it with paint impregnated with conductive particles, when testing with a multimeter the paint will show no conductivity but not to worry its all there. Then it gets chromed. Its fairly straightforward...Nope... That is the cheap way to do it.

This includes how clean was the plastic, purity of materials, thickness, uniformity, and what protective coating is aplied.The shells in the pictures were an old set of beat up Empire shells. Nnew shells should look even better!

More info to come... Weights, new pictures, etc...

manike
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes, I work for NPS in R&D. We were messing with chroming shells when working in the UV night halo for shooting glow in the dark paint. :)

Pha|anx
07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes, halo shells are polycarbonate.Polycarbonate or ABS polycarbonate?

Jonno06
07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
hate to ruin your bussiness, but you can get the same effect with some chrome, and clear spraypaint for about $10.

goodjob getting out there and doing your own thing though. :cheers:

manike
07-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Polycarbonate, not polycarbonate/ABS alloy.

deathstalker
07-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Compared to these, your shells look a million times better for 1/3 the price.
http://www.warpedsportz.com/ava_halo_shell.html

Chaos_Theory!
07-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, those shells pretty much look like **** and cost way to much. lol

Pha|anx
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
hate to ruin your bussiness, but you can get the same effect with some chrome, and clear spraypaint for about $10.Oh really? I challenge you, as well as anyone else of like mind, to prove that your final product will even be close to the durability and glamour of mine. Go for it.... :D

Polycarbonate, not polycarbonate/ABS alloy.So the worst is true... We suspected as much. PMing you about a few things...

Pha|anx
07-25-2006, 05:15 PM
manike - If you read this... Could you please PM me your contact info so I can get ahold of you.

jenarelJAM
07-26-2006, 12:53 AM
That is pretty nice... Personally, I don't spend money just for a pretty gun, but if I had a nice shiny silver or black w/ chrone accents marker, it would be tempting...

Also, I'm curious if you would have a service to get it done to existing halo shells. People might be more amenable to paying $30 for a chrome job, instead of $60 for an extra shell. Or something like that...

Pha|anx
07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Pricing will not be decided before the product is finalized. I can only give an estimate of $70+ for a complete set of brandnew chromed shells.