PDA

View Full Version : if i switched to linux.... (computergeek help needed)

Restola
12-23-2001, 02:12 PM
i have been bouncing around the idea of switching to linux, or at least running both, for some time now. here are a few problems i keep running into that always prevent me from actually taking the first step:

1. i love FPS games, right now its counterstrike, and i love playing online. will it be a complete pain in the butt to use linux? or will it work at all?

2. im on a network with 3 windows machines. we share files and share an internet connection. will it be a pain in the *** or will it work at all?

3. drivers. do all the major companies make them? nvidia, creative, etc

4. less of a fear, but something i hear ove and over and over is that some lunix's can be a pain to install and setup. now i am pretty computer savy, but is it really THAT bad?

5. i use an AMD althon processor. ive heard bad things when althon and linux come together.

lastly if i decide to install it should i just pick up a copy from the local computer store? which companys linux? do any of them include harddrive partitioning

thanks guys.

Restola
12-23-2001, 06:37 PM
common guys help :( im sorry i called you geeks.

Miscue
12-23-2001, 07:17 PM
Linux isn't exactly a gamer's platform. When there are games available... it's cool... but there aren't many at all.

Hey... FreeBSD is a great alternative, Linux ain't the only thing out there. :)

gimp
12-24-2001, 10:31 PM
Yeah, games will probably be your only problem. Linux is fun to play with though.

Tbone
12-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Restola
1. i love FPS games, right now its counterstrike, and i love playing online. will it be a complete pain in the butt to use linux? or will it work at all?

There isn't a linux version of CS out right now, however, you can attempt to emulate it on a version of Linux using a program called WINE. It trys to create a Win32 environment in a Linux setting. Although it's somewhat successful, it's not very reliable; only a beta stage right now. I know that they can get CS working, but again, it's a bit shady (crashes, bad sound, etc.)

2. im on a network with 3 windows machines. we share files and share an internet connection. will it be a pain in the *** or will it work at all?

If you share an internet connection through a router, depending on the router, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I run SuSE on my computer, and I have no trouble sharing a connection to the router which we use with our cable modem at home (the other two computers that share are both windows 98). I'm not 100% sure on filesharing, I'd imagine there's a way to set it up, but it wouldn't be as easy as if all the computers were just windows. Possible, but a bit of a pain (but I'm not an expert on windows-linux file sharing, so maybe it's not as hard I as I think it is).

3. drivers. do all the major companies make them? nvidia, creative, etc

Most of the major companies do, in one way or another, have drivers in linux. Unfortunately, due to the overall lack of Linux users (compared to the consumer group as a whole), the drivers aren't always in the best shape (i.e. Beta drivers with little support). I've had no problems in my experience with drivers and linux, one way or another I get everything working. It can be a pain at times, but it's an obstacle that can be overcome. (I know that nVidia and Creative Labs both have linux drivers for their products).

4. less of a fear, but something i hear ove and over and over is that some lunix's can be a pain to install and setup. now i am pretty computer savy, but is it really THAT bad?

I believe that it's kind of a common myth: "If it's not normal and I don't fully understand it, I can't do it and it will be a pain." I think Linux, at times, is no harder to install than Windows. Once you read a little about it and understand the major components which go into a Linux installation, it's not very difficult at all. I've installed SuSE a number of times as well as Red Hat and they're both pretty painless. I'd recommend purchasing a copy of the Linux flavor you're going to install (you can get it for free, but it's easier if it's on a CD-rom and a bootdisk already). SuSE has a great installer called YaST which is graphical and very reliant. It's proof that Linux isn't that tough to install properly.

5. i use an AMD althon processor. ive heard bad things when althon and linux come together.

I'd unfortunately have to agree with that. I have a copy of Red Hat that just won't work with one of the AMD processors I have. The CD even says "for Intel processors only". I'm pretty sure that you can get SuSE working on an AMD; I'm going to try it myself pretty soon. It works fine on my Pentium III, but I haven't put it on my AMD 1.4 yet. I'll let you know how it turns out. (If I forget to mention it again, just PM me and I'll tell you).

lastly if i decide to install it should i just pick up a copy from the local computer store? which companys linux? do any of them include harddrive partitioning

As I mentioned above, I'd really recommend purchasing a copy since it's the first time you're installing it. The copy will probably come with good instruction manuals and guides to help you out. As for which company makes Linux, there's a bunch out there, just do a search on Yahoo for some flavors. 95% of them do include some kind of HD partitioning. I'd recommend SuSE for the first time, it includes a great installation program, great partitioning, and a bunch of other features that are good to have for a first time user.

Well, I think that covered all your questions. If you have any more, feel free to e-mail me - ctabone@fordham.edu or drop me a message in my PM box. Good luck and I seriously recommend giving Linux a try.
:cool:

Tbone
12-26-2001, 06:23 PM
....and Linux has such a cool mascot too...

Tbone
12-26-2001, 06:24 PM
Tux! :cool:

covadsucks
12-26-2001, 06:35 PM
When you guys are done there, can you help me program my VCR? :D :D just kidding...I only have DVD and VCD.

Miscue
12-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Bah! FreeBSD! FreeBSD!

Works fine with AMD. A monkey can install it. Linux 'compatible'. Technically, Linux binaries w/o linux specific stuff is native to FreeBSD. So it's not really going into a 'compatible' mode... there isn't any emulation involved, it just goes "Ok, I'll use Linux libraries now" pretty much. With rare exception, all Linux stuff works on FreeBSD. Heck, sometimes it runs Linux stuff faster than Linux can. Sony, Yahoo, Microsoft (yep)... many others... use it.

Like the name says, it's FREE! Get it!

Crazy
12-26-2001, 06:48 PM
where can i find freebsd?

Tbone
12-26-2001, 07:06 PM
:cool:

Miscue
12-26-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
where can i find freebsd?

Click my sig.