PDA

View Full Version : Sentry Gun Project - Your input wanted.

magmanl337
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
This has been a project idea of mine for a while now, and just recently a friend and I have decided to go along with the project and make this ccontraption for fun's sake and for future scenario games. I have had this idea (though it has already been done) to make a paintball sentry gun. Not just any paintball sentry gun, but one modeled exactly like the Stage 2 sentry guns in Team Fortress Classic. Some of you may be familiar with the game, others may not. But for those of you out there that either forgot what they look like in-game or for those who have never played, pictures will be posted at the bottom of this thread.

Now, for starters this thing will be roughly 4'4"-4'8" tall. It will weigh around 50-75 lbs, and will be constructed of aluminum, acrylic, and high-grade plastics. There will be a barrel-mounted camera on this beast, and will have a wireless transmitter inside the gun to send camera signals to the controller. The controller will control the elevation and windage for the gun, and the camera will be used for the sight. A TV or LCD-monitor will be with the controller, preferably wireless. This will allow the gun to be controlled from a distance, possibly behind a bunker or inside a building.

The paint will be stored in the back ammo box (big thing behind the barrel) and will run off a warpfeed/Halo-B set up. The ammo well will mount above the Halo-B internals, and will feed into the warpfeed after going through the halo. The warpfeed will then push the paint to the feedneck of the gun, which will probably be an Ion (for price's sake and to be space savvy). A tank will be mounted along either side of the Ion, and an on/off valve be mounted on the side of the sentry gun. The entire sentry gun will be field legal (Will still shoot 285-300 fps depending on the field rules) and will have tourny-legal firing modes. Full auto modes will also be able to be used.

As for motors, so far my friend and I have looked into vacuum electric motors, which will then be mounted to belt drives which will turn the gun on its two axis'. So my question to all of you are, how easy would it to be to find strong enough motors to rotate this gun, and where could we find some? We need enough force for it to move, 50-75 lbs plus friction. All input is greatly appreciated, I'd love to see this gun out on the field, as I am sure some of you as well would be too.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/deadlyf00/tfc_stage2_sg.jpg

magmanl337
07-19-2006, 07:25 PM
My friend and I just located an electric scooter in his garage. We found a 24v motor, and 2 rechargable batteries. Assuming that the scooter carries a 200 lbs person, this motor should be more than enough power to rotate the bottom axis (windage). I will post on this thread more as we scavenge western San Diego country for random sentry gun components.

neppo1345
07-19-2006, 07:55 PM
www.thesentrygun.com

I would suggest using heavy duty R/C Servo Motors for Pan and Tilt.

Pretty Cool, good luck.

SR_matt
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
last i heard, halo/ reloader internals dont do to well if you stack more than the normal amount of balls on top of the cone than is what normaly is over it when it is used in a normal halo. jsut for reernce when you set it up.

also if you do it remote make sure there is an emergency cut off.

cool idea, good luck
-matt

geekwarrior
07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
:headbang: that would be awsome, good luck with it

magmanl337
07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
last i heard, halo/ reloader internals dont do to well if you stack more than the normal amount of balls on top of the cone than is what normaly is over it when it is used in a normal halo. jsut for reernce when you set it up.

also if you do it remote make sure there is an emergency cut off.

cool idea, good luck
-matt

It will only have a stack of balls about 4-5 balls high (roughly whats in a halo, maybe one too many but not enough to kill the motor.)

So far, we have all the electronics and controls. Tomorrow, when I go to work tomorrow, I will see if I can buy some of the sheet aluminum and make a stand. This project should be done by the end of the year. At that point, I will make calls to all the bigwigs of the various scenario games across the US, perhaps you will see this thing either on the fields, or in the pages of APG or other similar magazines.

txaggie08
07-19-2006, 09:40 PM
theres an airsoft version floating around thats automatic. It uses PC software to track a target and will fire at movement if you get to close to it....

DaveSM
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
My friend and I just located an electric scooter in his garage. We found a 24v motor, and 2 rechargable batteries. Assuming that the scooter carries a 200 lbs person, this motor should be more than enough power to rotate the bottom axis (windage). I will post on this thread more as we scavenge western San Diego country for random sentry gun components.

For easier localisation I would rather suggest a stepper motor. These have all the torque needed for this and if you want to automate your turret it will be much more easier. Aiming will also be made much more easier with 2 stepper motor to control the angle and the elevation then conventionnal electrical motors. For any electrical motor you would need to build a drive for them but steppers already come with a motor drive. In this project you don't plan to run your motor at ful speed all the time like it is done on a scooter so it's not the same kind of assembly you should use.

lather
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy around but if you really intend to use it in a scenario game I'd suggest you get something like this before all else:

http://www.lockitt.com/CablesArmored.htm#5024_25 :)

Jaan
07-20-2006, 12:39 AM
At first I thought you were going to copy the Sentry Guns from the directors cut of "Aliens". Every time I watch that movie I want to go play paintball in a factory ...

Anyway, I agree with the stepper motor suggestion, that's probably the best way to go. There are almost too many options for motors and remote control. It can easily be done with a little research.

Also, for a camera, keep in mind that you can get pretty cheap radio remote cameras for like $10 at Wallgreens and similar places. They're just fine in daylight ... color, sound, and broadcast on 2.4ghz. I have a couple here at my house.

For electronics I've found this place to have some of the best cheap surplus:

www.allelectronics.com

When I just went to the site what was the first thing I saw? A 5 RPM, 12v motor that's used in cars to move the air conditioning baffles. That might just be the ticket at $9 each. Run everything on a 12v car battery that's used for ballast as well (c:

5 RPM Motor (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-276/search/5_RPM_GEAR_MOTOR,_12VDC_.html)

VFX_Fenix
07-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Hopper idea - Proven and tested - http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62674&page=1&pp=20 Back Pack loader developed for a man who lost both his arms in an accident.

Basic concept, box built with alternating baffles to keep the entire weight of the ball stack from sitting on/in the drive cone. At the bottom a slightly pitched base with a HALO place in the bottom (looks like the Hybrid HALO shall w/o the top) which then is placed on a Warp.

____
|\_ |
| _/|
|\_ |
| _/|
-----
|_|=========={gun}

You could probably get away with using a 13 - 14CF Pony Bottle running directly into a screw in air system to provide more than adequate air for the weapon to be self sufficient for extended periods of time and provide a convenient way to resupply in the field if the need should arrise with a spare Pony Bottle.

Something to consider with your system is how big its arc of fire will be and based on that how quickly you want it to be able to traverse that arc. Using a high RPM motor (remember 60rpm = 360*/sec @1:1) would be beneficial as it would allow faster traversal times and accomodate a chain, belt or gear reduction drive. I'd actually look into the motors used in cordless drills (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44849) to power the thing and a servo for trigger control, and your radio will need a minimum of 3 channels (x,y,trigger), personally I'd look into Futaba (http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj60.html) for the radio as I've had pretty good results with them.

Will Wood
07-20-2006, 09:06 AM
TFC! :shooting: :rofl:

2 is coming out soon!

Anyways yea cool idea. Good luck with it.
Make the Tippmann one looks like a pansy!

SR_matt
07-20-2006, 09:09 AM
i was thinking the 5 rpm was going to be to slow but if you have 8 barrels that still 35 bps,
-matt

craltal
07-20-2006, 09:37 AM
i was thinking the 5 rpm was going to be to slow but if you have 8 barrels that still 35 bps,
-matt

I don't think he's making it with multiple functioning barrels, just one. The rest would be just for looks.

VFX_Fenix
07-20-2006, 10:08 AM
-matt

How are you getting 35bps from a 5rpm motor? Even with 8 barrels in a gatling setup you're getting 40bpm (2/3bps) unless I'm missing something.

SR_matt
07-20-2006, 03:24 PM
ya your right, im really out of it, too much sun. either way, lots and lots of paint 35 40 same job is done... colored friends
-matt

ojhspyro89
07-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I suggest using stepper motors and some type of computer controller for the turning part of it all, along with the up and down.

Stepper motors can have REALLY small steps, that makes it more precise. They are used on CNC mills and such...

GOOGLE!!!!!!

Jaan
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I got the new catalog in from All Electronics and they had some nice stepper motor controllers and other useful bits.

Just today I was looking at one of those old Air America Intimidator barrel end thingies ... I don't know what to call them really, but basically they're a megaphone for the end of a barrel. It makes a barrel louder, especially if it doesn't have rifling holes. That would actually have a nice intimidation factor going for it. Make it sound like a "big gun".

Jaan
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
You could also use two cameras for targeting, one wide shot with a wide angle lens and a close up camera for details. Hook them up to a TV with picture in picture.

Arstron
08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
TFC! :shooting: :rofl:

2 is coming out soon!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I rember hearing that comment 5 years ago!!!

doc_Zox
08-03-2006, 01:51 PM
look at sailboat sail winching motors and servos

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGZU3

magmanl337
08-03-2006, 10:47 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I rember hearing that comment 5 years ago!!!

I reserved TF2 back in 1998. I went into Gamestop and they said my reserve was out of date. :cry:

Vircolac
08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
but have you given a lot of thought to how it will be controlled? As I read it, everything is dependent on seeing your target. So if I walk into this gun's field of fire, and I'm hit and yell, "Out!", will this thing stop, or keep over-shooting me?

I think you would need some pretty sophisticated video gear to "see" any hits, and at all ranges. Most eliminations on the field are heard, rather than seen.

If you put a lot of money into it, are you willing to accept its loss? Any scenario players who come across this device will be very quick to try to disable it, and by any means at their disposal... they won't be treating your "baby" with kid gloves, either.

Its an interesting concept, and I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

VFX_Fenix
08-04-2006, 12:02 AM
How about a candy red "Disable" button on the thing or a target with a similar function? :)

Arstron
08-04-2006, 06:52 AM
I reserved TF2 back in 1998. I went into Gamestop and they said my reserve was out of date. :cry:

I dont feel so bad knowing somone else is in the same boat as me! I will have to look at my receipt to see when I reseved my copy. They should give you your money back, otherwise that is one expensive (and small in my case) peice of paper! I just saw where it is going to be released with HL episode 2. So I now know that all my money was just wasted. :'(

As for the century, it would seem like it would be difficult to automate with a paintball gun. You would almost have to add a device to measure the distance and adjust the angle the gun shoots accordingly. Best of luck, cant wait to see how it turns out!

doc_Zox
08-04-2006, 07:00 AM
http://www.usmechatronics.com/old_page/turret.htm

http://www.usmechatronics.com/old_page/small/IMAG0058.jpg