PDA

View Full Version : so what do i do now?

MisterBones25
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
so i finaly got around to getting my air tank hydro-tested, and what do you know......my tank failed testing :mad: . now what do i do, other than buying a new tank? do i just throw the tank out? i know the reg is still good, would anybody actualy buy an old reg, or will it end up rolling around in my tool box for the rest of my paintballing career? are there any companys out there that can recycle an old tank and reg? it would just feel like a huge waste to throw out a $150 tank? im sure im not the first person this has happened to and i know i wont be the last, so what do i do now?

Dewok82
07-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, most places I know drill a hole in any tanks that fail hydro, so I don't think recycling it would be a possibility. As far as the value of old regs goes, you might be surprised. What kind of reg is it? I had an older manifold-style max-flo which I wanted to switch to a screw-in type when I had it rehydro'd. I saw one in nicer condition going on ebay for $75, so I put mine up with a buy-it-now of $65 and it got snatched up right away (this was about a month ago, the nicer one closed at $81). That was more than enough to pay for a nice Guerrilla Air Ambush reg. Also, Crossfire had a "reg-swap" trade-in thing going, but I believe you had to send your tank to them to get tested.

There are a few places that sell just the tanks (Punishers comes to mind). I've also seen some on ebay. Your best bet would probably be to look for a newer used tank on the AO or PBnation classifieds. There are hundreds of people who play paintball once, fall in love, buy all the gear, lose interest (or realize they need the money), and sell it all cheap. I'd try to find a 5 year tank and ALWAYS keep it covered to prevent this from happening again. Also, if your reg is sealed with red loctite, get it removed by someone with proper tools and know-how. Many tanks fail hydro simply because some amateur tried to remove the reg and stripped the threads or dinged up the coating.

Anyways, good luck.

craltal
07-20-2006, 02:49 PM
odds are the reg is already off the tank since it needs to be removed for hydro testing and it doesn't make sense to put it back onto a bad tank...

MisterBones25
07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
the company that did my tank didnt drill a hole in it so its still a "good" tank. the reg is off, its a crossfire 3000 psi. iv decided to not just get a new tank for the reg because i want to upgrade to a 68/45. also the tank didnt fail because it was damaged, it didnt have a scratch on it, most 3000 psi tanks are alowed 5% expansion durring testing, mine went 7%.

maby i could turn the tank into a water bottle with some real charisma....

ttink
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
maby i could turn the tank into a water bottle with some real charisma....
Now THAT is a cool idea.

Troen
07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
i vote waterbottle idea

gunslinger7
07-21-2006, 08:38 AM
hahaha! Let's see this water bottle.. :rolleyes: I'd love to see it made.

the mag guy
07-21-2006, 09:02 AM
i dunno, with the right creativity i think it would make a great bird feeder. :rofl:

MisterBones25
07-21-2006, 06:37 PM
i dunno, with the right creativity i think it would make a great bird feeder. :rofl:

hmmm a bird feeder might be interesting, but it would probably require some major modification. i might see how the water bottle comes out first.

AZ_09
07-23-2006, 12:43 PM
could make a pencil holder?