PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber barrels- pros and cons

smilestyler
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I've been looking at some different barrels lately, and was starting to wonder what the deal was with Carbon fiber barrels. I assume that they are lighter. Is that the only thing that seperates them, or are they better for some other reason? The CCM barrels seems like a decent price. Can anyone comment on CF kits?

50 cal
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I have a 32* carbon fiber barrel I use on my E MAg when I use paint that is matched to it. All Star works great through it.
Shoots great. If I could get All Star all the time, it would be the only barrel I would use.

HawaiianHorseBabe
07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I used to volunteer crew on an all-carbon fiber racing yacht(off southern CA only). Carbon fiber is actually more rigid and less prone to bending or warping than metal! Trick is... don't break it, it gets ugly quick. (Not likely you could break a barrel, but who knows?)

Hmm... just thought of this: likely the carbon fiber barrel will vibrate (or transfer the vibration to the rest of the gun) more than a metal one. I would expect a metal one will assorb more of the shock of a ball release. Dunno if that's an asset or not.

~hhb

Toll
07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I <3 my stiffi kit.

Personally it's all hype, but I picked up mine so cheap it was well worth it.

Weighs far less than most barrels, but not worth the 200 bucks for a kit kinda thing.

lather
07-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I have a Sly barrel kit, very light, looks great on any color gun, not any more or less accurate than other barrel kits.

One possible downside--On carbon fiber barrels its not recommended to use any type of barrel swabs because of the swab material threads getting snagged in the porting. I did use swabs before on my Sly with no snagging, but I just stick to an all plastic pull through squeegie just to be safe.

psychowarden
07-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Ive got a CCM kit. Works great, its super light, and super accurate, what more do you want?

RavishingEddie
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I got a CCM kit as well and let me tell you it is wonderful. Light and very good at cleaning after a break. After second shot it is shooting straight again. But the best of all is that it shoots darts. I have a friend that has a Sly and another that has a dye ultralight kit. We all shoot the about the same when shooting at a target. It is just that when we play my CCM just gets the job done more than theirs.

Loguzzzzzz
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I have multiple Stiffi's and a Deadlywind Wisper. They are both great! The Wisper, for those who don't know, uses Freak inserts.

They are crazy light and actually have a lower expansion rate (due to heat) than aluminum and are alot more rigid.

On break one time I slipped going into a bunker and stuck the barrel in the ground, didn't even phase it. Very Tough!!

I have found Stiffi's new for about $80.00 new.

I use carbon fiber barrels almost exclusively.

VFX_Fenix
07-20-2006, 10:48 PM
The biggest complaint I have with CF barrels is the one feature that draws most people to them, weight. The fact that they weigh nothing isn't a very desireable trait in a barrel for me. Apart from that, the Stiffi I owned was a very good barrel and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants one.

Personally I like my Stainless Steel TASO Pro Series and SS Long Shot, they ballance out my Cocker and Mag nicely and are nearly indestructable, my CP barrels are pretty nice too.

the mag guy
07-21-2006, 06:30 AM
My stiffi :headbang: 's

if weight reduction is your thing (i"m all ule!!!) then its the way to go. ive owned up into the 20's in barrels for various markers and I am very pleased with the results. Though it can be argued that barrels don't make a huge difference and that its like putting a flag on a go cart, then I say this, I love my lightweight, rigid, accurate carbon fiber flag!

Rudz
07-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I have a ccm kit, yeah me too, lol, I love it, its super light, and very accurate, plus the barrel matches my carbon fiber grips, I'm really just into carbon fiber look, but the barrel is rediculously light, but as said before, rubber squeeeges only.

the mag guy
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
i dont even believe in squeegies since my lvl 10! w00t :headbang:

nicad
07-22-2006, 09:05 PM
The Wispers are testing swab-proof so far. :)

SR_matt
07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
i have a ccm kit, meh its ok

PROS
-light
-quiet
-shoots well
-great tolerances (.681 was exactly .681 with a digital caliper)
-good range of sizes)

CONS
-cant use swabs (it is at elat suggested against even though the problems were supposedly fixed with them and stiffy kits)
-backs are to short unless you use very very consistant high quality paint (i also perfer long backs or just 1 piece barrels), also the backs can get stuck and make it hard to get them off of the gun.

they are nice kits but id prefer a full length back and a barrel that can use a freaking swab
-matt