PDA

View Full Version : We need rules for the classifieds

Ityl
12-23-2001, 04:18 PM
We need rules for the classifieds stickied at the top. Like...

1. Don't post unless making an offer
2. Don't try to sell something in someone else's thread
3. Don't make an offer unless you have the money AND permission (if applies)
4. One up per day

Stuff like this. I also hate when the asking price is 200 and someone really low bids, like 100. Most people don't are reasonable in the price they set, I'm sick of seeing people asking to get a $300 tank for $100. Also people trying to trade when it specifically says, no trades. I have even said, no trades, so don't bother asking, and somebody says, wanna trade this? Since people can't be mature in the classifieds, I think rules should be made and enforced. Maybe even have a classified moderator because there are a lot of classifieds.

Just a suggestion, anybody else agree?

magman007
12-23-2001, 04:53 PM
yes i agree. It is gettin outta hand in there.

Shaft
12-23-2001, 05:05 PM
Don't go overboard with rules.

cphilip
12-23-2001, 05:55 PM
I think the first ones seem resonable and I have been already enforcing those all though they are not posted as rules. Let me talk to Webby and the other Mods and see if they agree. Might take a little bit as its the Holidays but I think we can do that. But like I say I already go into each thread and enforce those first four anyway. Posting Rules is one thing. Honoring them is another. Thats everybodies job to do.

i-luv-my-rt
12-23-2001, 06:14 PM
Shaft- OVERBOARD...how do you see that as being overboard. Those rules will keep each thread clean and to the point. Many people are turned away b/c it says i'll take it but that person is unreliable.

Cphilip- We understand that you look through them but I agree a classified moderator would make the process easy. He could delete all the useless threads. Something to think about.

LaW
12-23-2001, 06:15 PM
yeah definately I like those rules, I try to up just once a day...other then that...

Arman/XPM
12-23-2001, 06:20 PM
That all sounds good, except for the one up per day.
Donot turn this forum into paintballcity.com.....

Russ
12-23-2001, 06:24 PM
There are a lot of bad trades going on, too. I hate to see people get ripped off, and somehow, bad traders need to be "punished".

Ityl's got some good ideas, but enforcement will be the problem.

Shaft
12-24-2001, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by i-luv-my-rt
Shaft- OVERBOARD...how do you see that as being overboard. Those rules will keep each thread clean and to the point. Many people are turned away b/c it says i'll take it but that person is unreliable.

Rules are good when there are serious problems to be contended with. When its just a matter of nuisance then there is no place to make a rule for it.

If it really bothers ya, just say something on that thread.

Too many rules are pointless and as they stack up - they start to lose their importance.

1. Don't post unless making an offer.
What about if you want to see a picture or ask about the condition on an item? That already makes the rule null and void - unless that's unacceptable.
2. Don't try to sell something in someone else's thread.
Good one. It seems anyone that tries this will get flamed anyway.
3. Don't make an offer unless you have the money AND permission (if applies).
I look at this as a "handle it" situation. Repeat offenders deserve a whipping with a jerk squeegee. But how do ya enforce this one? Kick 'em off the boards?
4. One up per day.
I have yet to see a problem with this one. If you're watching a thread for whatever reason, post on it. Save them the up and start a conversation.

See my point?

FooTemps
12-24-2001, 02:30 AM
Well, I've broken rules 1, 3, and 4... 3 is because I don't have permission to buy so I cancelled all my deals just this week. I got denied from paintball on friday and now I won't post any more offers unless it's from an acquaintance. I've upped a lot of peoples ads for them and sometimes more than once...

Webmaster
12-24-2001, 09:23 AM
Well - for some of the proposed rules - you cant stop idiots... or maynot not idiots, but the 14 who only has $100 and hopes and prays someone will sell im a nice gun for $100 bucks. Low balling sucks - but just ignore them.

I am hopeing too VERY soon - hopefully this week - re-look the classified section over. I can add some new posting rules - and the BIG thing is that I am adding some new CATAGORIES so we can sift through them eaiser!

My net connection at home is down right now. Hope to be up this week. If so, I will have the new changes done by the end of the weekend.

jah871
12-24-2001, 10:04 AM
it would take a while to do this and i dont know if its possible but i think it would be good and save the mods a lot of time. i think that in the classifieds we should be able to moderate our own posts. it would help a lot. say a person says all this stuff about how u can get it cheaper and itsd a rip, it usually ruins ur for sale post. so u have to delete it and make another. all we would have to do is simply delete the persons post. another thing i think we would just need the ability to delete and not edit other peoples post becuse i thinks ome people would take advantage of editing someone elses post.

another thing is the 3rd party on AO in the classifieds. i posted it in the classifieds but no one seemed to be interested in it. i think that we should rethink it because a lot of people are having some bad trades. Airgun nor the mods would be responsible for anything. all we would need is maybe a classic thread where it gives all the info on what to do and permission to call it AO Third Party. a few people have 3rd party business links to there own in there sig, but i think a lot more people would take advantage of it if it had its own thread in the AO classifieds.

just my $.02

cphilip
12-24-2001, 11:13 PM
Third party services are already free to advertize them selves in the new Vendors Forum. I do indeed Moderate the Classified Forum heavily. But I am a bit lenient perhaps. And I have monitored the sales. Trust me ther are very few bad ones. I am in fact quite proud of our memebers for that. A single bad one is far magnified from all the good ones.

clockworkmiller
12-25-2001, 04:55 AM
Well, here's my thoughts since Im selling something in the classifides right now.

If someone comes in and moderates it (3rd party) then why not just go on eBay and appeal to a wider audience. The main reason Im selling here first is because it is much easier and less red tape. I dont know how a 3rd party would regulate things, but it would make things more difficult overall.

And of course, if someone rips you off, post their address in the forum, and Im sure someone in the area of the person who ripped you off would willing to report the fraud. It is a crime you know.