PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new truck , need some info.

Soopa Villain17
07-22-2006, 10:43 AM
i bought a truck last night. its a 89 gmc sierra 2500 , engine is a 350 with automatic tranny and 144k , test drove it , runs great , stickered new parts like alternator and plugs. and a new cd player lol. the only bad is the body is in so-so shape , the hood has some dings , theres a dent in the bed and there is a litttle bit of rust on the cab corners ( nothing a little bondo wont fix :) haha ) and some little holes i nthe doors from towing mirrors. the gas gauge doesnt work either but thats minor it also comes with a cap.

he said he averages about 14 mpg , this sounds about right to me. its carberated too i belive not sure if its 2bbl or 4bbl. i looked online for horsepower but didnt find anything but i was guessing maybe a little over 200hp.

im picking it up on monday and im gunna paint it then ill post some pics up as soon as i figure out how to get it home cuz i lost my license for a month.

if anybody has any info on this year of truck or anything good to say about it than feel free. thanks

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I own 4 fords and a dodge but never owned a chevy but I've heard that the 2500 holds up suprising well for a chevy work truck. So don't be afraid of using it. Plus I would also like to hear some info on this as well.

edit sry shouldn't have been wasted when I posted this gmc chevy same thing :D lol

Dubstar112
07-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Its throttle body fuel injected. There is a false look of a carb ontop of the manifold, but its just two injectors and valves. That is unless somone else put a carb on there? 14 is about what I get in a 95 half ton ext cab 4x4 with a 350. Be weary of your transmission, a 3/4 ton work truck with an auto may have been used and abused.. just make sure it doesnt slip once its warmed up. I have 161k on my truck and it still runs good, so with 144 you're doin better than I am. I know a lot about these trucks, if you have any questions let me know.

Barchetta
07-24-2006, 02:36 AM
i have a 93 k 2500 with a 350 in it i think they are rated at 200 hp, not much but they move, the weakest link of the truck is the tranny i have had mine out a few times, im sure urs has the modulator controlled 700r4 which mine has the electronically controlled 4l60E, intrnally the same other than a few parts, as stated above it should be fuel injected, with a thottle body and two injectors, unless changed. but one good idea for it would be a tranny cooler towing or not , it would stretch the life of the tranny a bit.
l8 Stephen

SCpoloRicker
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Wait, you're on a suspended license again?

Dubstar112
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
i have a 93 k 2500 with a 350 in it i think they are rated at 200 hp, not much but they move, the weakest link of the truck is the tranny i have had mine out a few times, im sure urs has the modulator controlled 700r4 which mine has the electronically controlled 4l60E, intrnally the same other than a few parts, as stated above it should be fuel injected, with a thottle body and two injectors, unless changed. but one good idea for it would be a tranny cooler towing or not , it would stretch the life of the tranny a bit.
l8 Stephen
93 is when they switched to the electronically controlled tranny. I will bring up now that If you need a U joint, there is about 7 different variations for replacement, so gettin the right one the first time is a pain somtimes. Its not always in stock. Check ball joints and other front end parts too. Ive never had chronic ball joint problems, but it is a wearing part. Another common problem is the intake manifold gasket leaking outside, or even possibly into the block. Mine started leaking at 120k, and I drove it to 155k before I fixed it. Usually leaks out of a corner where the rubber strips from a kit would go, I used black silicone for replacement.

For one of our crew trucks we use a Chev 2500 5spd with 350, and it has well over 220k, among our fleet it has the lowest miles. Runs good as long as you keep your oil in check and dont pound it every time you drive it. We also run two 96 1tons with 454's and they're clocking over 300k running excellent. A true testament to how a truck runs when you properly maintain it.

Lohman446
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
93 is when they switched to the electronically controlled tranny. I will bring up now that If you need a U joint, there is about 7 different variations for replacement, so gettin the right one the first time is a pain somtimes. Its not always in stock.

Unless you have an aluminum driveshaft or yoke it is a 5-3157X spicer joint. If it is the odd joint there is another one that most parts stores refer to as "the odd Chevy joint". Those two joints cover the vast majority of the situations.

Soopa Villain17
07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Wait, you're on a suspended license again?

you must be thinking of the wrong guy. this is the first time its been suspended. as for either fi or carb'd i ran the vin number and it came up 89 2500 5.7 fi but it really does look like it has a carb i guess ill have to take the airfilter cover off and acutally look.

i was thinking that the motor may have been replaced so i need to have a mechanic look at it to even tell me if it is acutally a 350 or not but i belive it is it does go pretty good and the driveshaft is aluminum i belive , theres no rust on it and there is some sort of black protective sleeve around it. so far its been a good truck. the cab corners need a little rust repair wich my good buddy bondo helped me outwith it wasnt bad either just a litle rust hole didnt even go threw the hole panel.

thanks and anymore info would be good

Lohman446
07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
you must be thinking of the wrong guy. this is the first time its been suspended. as for either fi or carb'd i ran the vin number and it came up 89 2500 5.7 fi but it really does look like it has a carb i guess ill have to take the airfilter cover off and acutally look.

i was thinking that the motor may have been replaced so i need to have a mechanic look at it to even tell me if it is acutally a 350 or not but i belive it is it does go pretty good and the driveshaft is aluminum i belive , theres no rust on it and there is some sort of black protective sleeve around it. so far its been a good truck. the cab corners need a little rust repair wich my good buddy bondo helped me outwith it wasnt bad either just a litle rust hole didnt even go threw the hole panel.

thanks and anymore info would be good

The VIN code will tell you what engine is in it. If it is an '89 the tenth digit is a K. The eighth digit is the engine code from the factory K=5.7L 350 H=5.0L 305. Both were throttle body injected - which is easily mistaken for a carb. Its a throttle body.

Soopa Villain17
07-28-2006, 06:12 PM
yup its fi , i checked for myself and its the 5.7 so it is a 350. thanks for all the help any more info though would be cool thanks