PDA

View Full Version : do you think this would work

pablo4429
07-24-2006, 02:13 AM
hey guys i was just wondering something
an autocockers bolt never actually hits the ball huh like propell it forward just the air
so why doenst a compnay just make a gun the uses a small burst of air to shoot the ball and only have like one moving part. is this possible or am i just being simplistic?

Indignant
07-24-2006, 02:23 AM
wouldn't be very practical with current technology and stuff.

pablo4429
07-24-2006, 02:24 AM
well itd be really simple and reliable and have the possibility to shoot really fast

i assume

Indignant
07-24-2006, 02:28 AM
well, if you are going to be trying to get a small jet of air to reliably, and quickly shoot a paintball at 300 fps it won't be as simple as i believe you think it would be.

pablo4429
07-24-2006, 02:34 AM
i dunno like you said though with all the technology it might be possible and guns today do the same thing as far as regulating the psi and volume of air going into the valves and chambers

Indignant
07-24-2006, 02:48 AM
well, if you are going to be trying to get a small jet of air to reliably, and quickly shoot a paintball at 300 fps it won't be as simple as i believe you think it would be.

it's more than just tossing a reg on a pipe and shooting air out it.

VFX_Fenix
07-24-2006, 04:04 AM
What you're proposing is a gun which has no bolt, these have been done in the past either through an articulated barrel (NOVA/Airstar) or through a trap door breech (I can't recall who did this one).

And for the record, an AC bolt definately makes contact with the ball since it pushes the ball forward into battery before the gun shoots.

Jonneh
07-24-2006, 05:45 AM
That extra .68 inches is what gives the cocker it's legendary range!

the mag guy
07-24-2006, 06:31 AM
What you're proposing is a gun which has no bolt, these have been done in the past either through an articulated barrel (NOVA/Airstar) or through a trap door breech (I can't recall who did this one).

And for the record, an AC bolt definately makes contact with the ball since it pushes the ball forward into battery before the gun shoots.

Epic, the other one is an ICE Epic. Really neat little gun. Novas are cool too, I want one.

Lohman446
07-24-2006, 06:55 AM
It was discussed in deep blue some time ago. Consider using basically a fuel injector to shoot just air into the breech. The problem that the discussion ran into was the sealing of the breech from the ball stack. Basically every method discussed became as problematic (or far more so) than just having a bolt.

paintman1234
07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
ya, the nova uses its barrel to push back into the breach to close of the feedneck and shoot the ball

but what your thinking of is a trap door sort of thing

MANN
07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
That extra .68 inches is what gives the cocker it's legendary range!

:clap: :clap: We finally figured out how they shoot farther(sp). Maybe we can get automags to move the ball that .68 inch too. lol :D :D

SCpoloRicker
07-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I work for fuel injectors. So I'm really getting a kick out of a lot of these replies...

Chronobreak
07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
the simple answer, no amtter how you set the gun up, your gonna ahve to close off the breech/barrel to direct the air at some point

hence the purpose of the conventional bolt msot guns use today

d4m4don3
07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Airstar Supernova, didn't have a bolt, but I think it got banned from fields because the set screw that held the valve in the back wasn't strong enough and it hit people?

Chronobreak
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Airstar Supernova, didn't have a bolt, but I think it got banned from fields because the set screw that held the valve in the back wasn't strong enough and it hit people?

i said most,...

guns like the epics diddnt have bolts, they had a door system as the cutoff for air

and the novas had a rotating barrel ;)

i did know that info, i guess i just assumed others did too, thats why i said most

some of the supernova's also performed actual supernovas.. :rofl:

the point is, you cant just send an open poof of air at a ball(that im aware of), without wasting alot of air and or also blowing the paint back up/down the ballstack

hope that make sence :tard:

mag_lover05
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
ALIEN did it..... it was a trrap door design. your welcome.

glickstue
07-28-2006, 10:41 PM

Did that gun ever make it into production, or did they drop it and just do the interceptor? I saw a prototype of in at Hunignton Beach three years ago but I haven't seen one since.

bleachit
07-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Epic, the other one is an ICE Epic. Really neat little gun. Novas are cool too, I want one.

not only did the mag guy beat you to it, but Epic beat ALIEN to it.

paint magnet
07-29-2006, 12:07 PM
The only Aliens I've seen (Interceptors and the like) use a conventional bolt much like an Intimidator (or any number of other guns). Nothing revolutionary about a stacked-tube open bolt electro.

There have been numerous attempts at boltless guns, namely the Nova, Supernova and ET versions thereof, and the PGI Mayhem as well as the ICE Epic, but for some reason none has sold well, with the exception of the Splatmaster :cool:

It would, in fact, be quite easy to make a gun powered by just a blast of air with no "trap door" or anything. The problem is that it'd have to be muzzle-loading, which tends to hinder the rate of fire.

pachytriton
07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
The first alien prototype used a trap door design, but the makers of the epic had patented the trapdoor design. Alien then scrapped that gun and built the interceptor with some of the same technology from the first alien but with a normal stacked tube rammer design.

Timmee
07-29-2006, 02:22 PM
i said most,...

guns like the epics diddnt have bolts, they had a door system as the cutoff for air

and the novas had a rotating barrel ;)

i did know that info, i guess i just assumed others did too, thats why i said most

some of the supernova's also performed actual supernovas.. :rofl:

the point is, you cant just send an open poof of air at a ball(that im aware of), without wasting alot of air and or also blowing the paint back up/down the ballstack

hope that make sence :tard:

The Nova series of markers did not have a rotating barrel. The barrel articulated back to seal off the breach, then forward to let the next ball in.

SpecialBlend2786
07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Yep, as said before, the ICE Epic used a trapdoor/boltless design. A very cool marker, I wouldn't mind owning one. Single tube design and all that as well.

NewbieMagMan10988
07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
The Nova series of markers did not have a rotating barrel. The barrel articulated back to seal off the breach, then forward to let the next ball in.

QFT

I have a nova, and as was allready said, boltless guns never took off.

Neat idea though...

Mike

Pyrate Jim
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Nobody going to bring up the fact that the very first semi-auto marker in production for paintball had no bolt?

It had no safety on the trigger or any way to adjust velocity, either.

paint magnet
07-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Nobody going to bring up the fact that the very first semi-auto marker in production for paintball had no bolt?

There have been numerous attempts at boltless guns, namely the Nova, Supernova and ET versions thereof, and the PGI Mayhem as well as the ICE Epic, but for some reason none has sold well, with the exception of the Splatmaster :cool:

One character.

SnatchForFree
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM

What gun was that? Palmers camile?

paintman1234
07-30-2006, 10:33 PM
What gun was that? Palmers camile?

yes, the palmer camile was the first

NewbieMagMan10988
07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
yes, the palmer camile was the first

Well, the first semi... but thats a whole debate in itself...

The gun he is talking about is the splatmaster... green plastic goodness...

Novas rule :ninja:

Mike

gmp211
07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
IDK if someone said this(to lazy to read) but....

The bolt also holds the balls back and prevents chops. It would be a sick crazy fast automatic though....

Lenny
07-31-2006, 01:05 AM
But wait... with all of the force feed goodness we have today, is blowback really that bad? I assume if the air psi was low enough, ang the the stack had enough force on it, blowback wouldn't have that large of an effect. Then again, it would all have to be very precise.