PDA

View Full Version : Images caught at Gettysburg... after hours

warbeak2099
07-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Ok, so my dad, my friend, and his dad went with me to Gettysburg as we do every summer. We're pretty versed in the battle and war for that matter and we go annually as a pilgrimage almost. Anyways, this time we finally got our dander up and decided to go out onto the battlefield at night to snap some pictures and see what we could find. Sure enough, we got some ghostly images in our shots. These two are the best shots, the rest are hard to see.

The first is from Devil's Den. This was an especially gruesome area of the battlefield where men fought in vicious hand to hand combat to take control of a rocky valley beneath Little Round Top. Men fell into deep crags and were forgotten. Sharpshooters on both sides picked off anyone who was sticking just a little bit out from behind the huge boulders. The area changed hands several times and saw quite a bit of carnage. It is believed to be the most paranormally active section of the field for this reason.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/warbeak2099/DevilsDenOrbs.jpg

What you see in this picture and the following are orbs. Spirits are believed to present themselves as energy in various shapes. In this case, balls of glowing light. Now, sometimes digital cameras can pick up insects and dust particles which people confuse as orbs. However, those appear transparrent and small. Many of these orbs as you can see are almost the size of a human head and are solid and bright.

This next picture is of the Wheatfield. This area of the battlefield was also very gory and also changed hands numerous times on the second day of the battle. Men fell in the tall wheat over and over. it got so bad that wounded men were buried under dead bodies. Those that were not entombed by the dead were attacked in the night by wild boars. They used the last ounces of strength to ward off the wild animals and many were eaten alive. Once again, you can really feel the activity when you walk through this area.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/warbeak2099/WheatfieldOrbs.jpg

I know I know, there may in fact be a logical explanation. But I've thought of a lot and I just cannot explain this other than it is paranormal activity. My friend's dad is a skeptic and is very reliant on science to explain most everything (as am I most of the time). He was even shaken up when we went out onto the field at night. He agreed that there must be something which we cannot understand going on. Who knows, there could be an undiscovered set of scientific laws that support the theory of alternate plains or dimensions. Physics could possibly expand farther than what we have presently figured out.

Whatever you believe, one thing is sure. Around 21 thousand men died at Gettysburg and a lot of suffering went on there. Whether it be caused by the knowledge of these events, or the presence of spirits, one can certainly feel the power and profoundness of what happened in and around the town.

Enjoy,
Pete

punkncat
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Just out of curiousity, were you out after the temp dropped below dewpoint?

The small spots could be fine droplets of water that were on the lens at the time you snapped the pictures.

I am not at all disbelieving of the possiblilty of supernatural activity there or anywhere else for that matter. But as you mentioned in your post, I am always looking for a logical scientific explaination.

warbeak2099
07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that. No there was no dew yet. It was early enough that the temp had not dropped below dewpoint. There was also nothing to reflect off of. No flashlights, no mirrors, no metallic objects.

personman
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I dunno looks like you have a dirty lense to me.

warbeak2099
07-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Yea, that's what I thought. But the other pictures I took of the same area either didn't have the orbs or they were in different places and there were less of them. Trust me, I'd be forthcoming about anything that could have caused the objects.

Glickman
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Whatever you believe, one thing is sure. Around 21 thousand men died at Gettysburg and a lot of suffering went on there. Whether it be caused by the knowledge of these events, or the presence of spirits, one can certainly feel the power and profoundness of what happened in and around the town.

Enjoy,
Pete

there is no denying the amount of passion and pain that Gettysburg has seen, but that has nothing to do with the mal-pixilation ;)

makes you think that while there are so many ghost stories of horrible trageties in panamerica, but why are there no stories or coverage of the slaughter of millions for no reason beyond the amount of cows they have.

if you want to compromise though, we can chalk it up to quantum mechanics though, and we are ALL right :D

MoeMag
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm with you.

I have pictures of the same thing, but of a more personal nature. Never had it happen any other time. I remember when I took the photos that someone was there with me... the best part is, I know who it was too. I will have that photo forever.

warbeak2099
07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
there is no denying the amount of passion and pain that Gettysburg has seen, but that has nothing to do with the mal-pixilation ;)

makes you think that while there are so many ghost stories of horrible trageties in panamerica, but why are there no stories or coverage of the slaughter of millions for no reason beyond the amount of cows they have.

if you want to compromise though, we can chalk it up to quantum mechanics though, and we are ALL right :D

It is a huge stretch to say that those perfectly round circles that if zoomed in on, show texture and organization, are mal-pixelation. Mal-pixelation would appear very differently. Sorry, that's even more of a stretch than saying they're ghosts. However, they very well could be dust particles. That's a more scientific reason. Mal-pixelation is more of an over used response by skeptics. It is very unlikely and doesn't apply when you have orbs that are as perfect as this. If you zoom in on the orb actually, you will see that it has a sort of cellular organization. There is a cell wall, cell membrane, and structures within the membrane. It's very interesting. It is as if these are floating mono-cellular organisms. That's what throws off the dust particle theory. Not only are some of the orbs not-transparent, but they show signs of design.

Double T
07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I know that you can basically blame the uneasy feeling of being at those sites on subconcious notions that you truly believe the sites are "haunted", but the orbs...what kind of flim were you using. Certain film types can pick up different wavelengths that normal film cannot.

Just my two cents, but I don't deny the existence of the supernatural.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
personally I feel that you walk out on hallowed ground and taking pictures of fallen soldiers and enemies is not cool even if they are spirits. Not tring to flame just don't like it. :nono:

MantisMag
07-24-2006, 10:19 PM
that's lens flare and is quite common with compact cameras especially when using a flash.

Hexis
07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
It would be more radial if it was flare. I suspect illuminated insects close to the lense (making them look larger and out of focus). The Bokeh looks about right for small compact digicam.

Indignant
07-25-2006, 02:04 AM
with a digital camera it is so many things before it is ghost orbs.

lather
07-25-2006, 03:26 AM
I get that effect with my pictures sometimes. I always thought they were dust particles.

/shrug

warbeak2099
07-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I was using a full sized digital camera, not a compact camera or a compact digicam. The reason it probably isn't dust particles is because I took multiple outdoors pictures in the same area and only some of the shots appeared with the "orbs".

warbeak2099
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I know that you can basically blame the uneasy feeling of being at those sites on subconcious notions that you truly believe the sites are "haunted"

Lol, I'm sorry. I don't believe in Freud. All that "subconcious" crap is less scientifically provable than paranormal activity. It is not by any means real, legitimate psychology.

Hexis
07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I was using a full sized digital camera, not a compact camera or a compact digicam. The reason it probably isn't dust particles is because I took multiple outdoors pictures in the same area and only some of the shots appeared with the "orbs".

What's a "full sized" digital camera to you? One of the high end medium format backs? Perhaps a Canon 1Ds mk2? A Canon 5D?

That lens did you have on there?

warbeak2099
07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I meant it wasn't one of the little compact, pocket sized cameras. It belongs to a friend of mine, I don't know the model exactly. It takes 4 AA batteries and it's kind of bulky. I know what you guys are talking about, those little compact digicams that are aimed at the ipod crowd. It is about the size of a Canon 5D and it looks a little bit like it. The batery compartment that kind of bulges out looks very similar to that of a Canon 5D.

Hexis
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
A Canon 5D (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/) measures 6" x 4.4" x 2.9", without the battery grip (about 6"x6"x3" then). It's a normal (non Pro) sized Digital SLR. The lens adds to the size. I doubt it was the size of a 5D.

It sounds like a run of the mill small digicam. Nothing special in the lense. I still suspect insects illuminated by the flash, near the lens, so out of focus. That's how objects like that would appear. It also explains that they are not axial (which would be lens flare) and that they are in random positions in each shot.

Want to show something interesting, take in image with avaliable light.

Crighton
07-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I've had plenty of shots show up like that. I just took one this weekend on the shore of castle rock lake that has 6 orbs in it like that.

I always thought they were water droplets. In my most recent case it had rained earlier and I was shooting photos under trees that were still dripping in the wind. (at dusk)

Hexis
07-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Anything small in front of the lens when shooting with flash will show up like that.

Steelrat
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM

The reason for the changing number and location of the "orbs" is because the lighting changes with each shot. It has to be dust on the lens, or small insects or particles in the air.

personally I feel that you walk out on hallowed ground and taking pictures of fallen soldiers and enemies is not cool even if they are spirits. Not tring to flame just don't like it.

Don't take picture of soldier's spirits? Thats just crazy talk.

SCpoloRicker
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Why are the LIEberals taking AMERICA HATING pictures of our fallen HEROES!?!

/seriously, wtf is going on in this thread

Hexis
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
seriously, wtf is going on in this thread

Somone took a couple pictures of dust or bugs and is trying to make something out of them.

SCpoloRicker
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Somone took a couple pictures of dust or bugs and is trying to make something out of them.

Obviously, you fail to realize how AMERICAN HEROES LIVE ON due to our unending PATRIOITISM. Maybe you have forgotten Hill 327, where so many brave young men met their final rest. Ka-Song, Na-Dang... these are NOT forgotten! (Walter, wtf does this have to do with Vietnam? Well, there isn't a literal connection.)

WHY is it that the LIEberals try to deny that our AMERICAN heroes live on as tiny little dust-speck-like orbs on digital cameras?!?

/not sure where I'm going with this
//Occam's electric razor and all that

Indignant
07-25-2006, 10:57 AM

more or less.

ps. i want your 5D. i think i'd even settle for a 20d http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/LittlePaintballBoy/dodgy.gif

Steelrat
07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
more or less.

ps. i want your 5D. i think i'd even settle for a 20d http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/LittlePaintballBoy/dodgy.gif

SETTLE for a 20D? I LOVE my 20D. Settle indeed!

It's all about the glass anyways, baby!

evildead420
07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
I dunno looks like you have a dirty lense to me.

it sure is, just from looking at the orbs and the pattern is the same on the 2nd pic and just moved a bit. defently a dirty lense, try clean it and stop claiming that you are a ghost hunter noob. lol. j/k.

on the side note. my friend does have real ghost pictures. at an old japanese grave site in hilo hawaii. theres transparent figure like a person sitting down with a kimono and letters across some of the images of the picture. Super freaking stuff. gives me big chills when I see it. pictures were taken pre-photoshop world so there real real looking :eek: :wow:

Indignant
07-25-2006, 12:09 PM
SETTLE for a 20D? I LOVE my 20D. Settle indeed!

haha. i'd kill someone for a 20d. using my ist DS (http://www.monitor.si/images/clanki/slika/Pentax_istDs.jpg) until i can justify dropping it for something else, hopefully a 20d or something, although i'd still be happy with a 350d. i really just wanna switch to Canon because they have way better glass, at better prices.

Hexis
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM

That's just something folks stuck with cropped sensors tell themselves to feel better. ;)

Steelrat
07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
That's just something folks stuck with cropped sensors tell themselves to feel better. ;)

Damn you and your full-frame sensor!

The good news is that all the glass I have will still be good when I upgrade :D

Hexis
07-25-2006, 12:36 PM
The good news is that all the glass I have will still be good when I upgrade :D

Very wise. EF-S is for suckers.

I like fondling the 1Ds mk2 and 1V in the house. You gotta have goals.

Oh, thought about something of interest to you guys. I printed an image I took of a frozen waterfalls. Straight off the 5D, 24"x36". Looks wonderful. Gotta love CMOS sensors.

Muzikman
07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Very wise. EF-S is for suckers.

I like fondling the 1Ds mk2 and 1V in the house. You gotta have goals.

Oh, thought about something of interest to you guys. I printed an image I took of a frozen waterfalls. Straight off the 5D, 24"x36". Looks wonderful. Gotta love CMOS sensors.

I took this photo and had it printed at 24x36 and 36x48. The 24x36 came out great, the 36x48 was grainy. I was impressed. That was with a 10D a few years ago.

http://photopittsburgh.com/albums/CityScapes/jbeam027.sized.jpg

Indignant
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
you are what i like to call 'photoleet.'

here's one of my favorites i've taken:
http://static.flickr.com/51/135163076_d31f15ffbb.jpg?v=0

someone oughta make a photography thread. i usually just hang out in the photo forum at PBN now.

Hexis
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Fun Random Photography (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2192992#post2192992)

Muzikman
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Look, more spirits!

http://www.unyxterra.com/gallery/d/2913-1/XC16.JPG

MantisMag
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
lol thanks muzikman. i was about to go hunting for my pic with a giant "ghost orb" in it. mine was indoors so it definitely wasn't moisture or bugs or anything of that sort. i thought it was quite odd and asked around. the consensus was that it happens when your flash is placed close to your lens as in a compact digicam.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
hey muzikman did you run out of gas pushing that tree? :D