PDA

View Full Version : Level 7 experiment

fifthmag
07-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Hi guys,

I was thinking of experimentally trying out the level 7 bolt with my RTP setup. As the only reason I chopped previously was because of ball bobble, the moment I HALO'd my Mag, the ball stack was intact, no mangles. Hence thinking I might try out the standard bolt again.

The other reason: remember powerfeeds? Well in my old chrome RT I cannot recall chopping a ball in two years.Why? Intact ball stacks. (Possibly)

If anybody can give me the benefit of their wisdom and experience, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks all!

SpitFire1299
07-25-2006, 02:42 AM
"If theres nothing wrong with it, dont fix it." :D

Pneumagger
07-25-2006, 05:50 AM
It will work fine. don't hurt yourself now.

BigEvil
07-25-2006, 06:33 AM
I played for literally YEARS with a LVL7 foamy bolt and it was fine until I discovered "Rapid FIre".

But why would you want to ditch the lvl10? I dont understand this romatic fasination some still have with the lvl7. The difference in efficency is slight at best. If that is the reason, use the stock size bolt spring. that will be your best bet.

warbeak2099
07-25-2006, 08:32 AM
The other thing is maintenance. Lvl 10 kind of takes away from the idea of leaving a mag in the closet for years and taking it out and shooting it like it was new. You have to tune the Lvl 10 once every so often. That's why I'm going to Lvl 7 when the Scenario Dreams lazer eyes come out. That and the slight increase in efficiency.

BigEvil
07-25-2006, 08:56 AM
The other thing is maintenance. Lvl 10 kind of takes away from the idea of leaving a mag in the closet for years and taking it out and shooting it like it was new. You have to tune the Lvl 10 once every so often. That's why I'm going to Lvl 7 when the Scenario Dreams lazer eyes come out. That and the slight increase in efficiency.

I understand the reasoning, and it all sounds good, but ponder this: If you use the stock bolt spring, and enough shims to limit the vent time to the barest minimum, I bet you can regain at least 90% of that effiecency. Also consider that the lvl 10 bolt is much lighter, and is designed to better prevent breaking.

Since your not going for anit-chop features, once it is set, all you may have to do is change the carrier oring once in a while. I change mine on most of my guns once a year if it needs it or not. I even have guns I havent touched anything on the lvl 10 in over 2 years.

:cheers:

SocialD
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I posted a similar question on PBN having to do with cockers and pinching. In theory, you should be able to feed more reliably with a Halo than the old VL2000's and what not. So why not increase the pressure in the pneumatics and reduce the chance of short stroking. They didn't get it. :(

I think that you are probably right about being able to go back to the LVL7 bolt without chopped balls as long as you don't "chuff" now. Back in the day, upgrading from a VL2000 to a Revolution reduced the amount of ball breaks that I had. Additionally, I would only chop a ball when I really laid into the trigger. I don't know for sure, but I think that I used to be able to hit 10-15 bps with the RT. I would think that a Halo would reduce the chance of breaks down to almost nothing.

fifthmag
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
This info is all great guys. To address "if it ain't broke" line, I agree 100%. More a timing issue, as for the third time in two years (how long is usual BTW?) I an about to change rings, which of course is no biggy, but I was thinking how nifty it would be if I didn't have keep changing o rings at all.

Of course power tube o-rings require servicing also, so it may really be of no benefit, but wanted to at least try it since I haveto change o-rings carriers/ anyway.

Efficiency is no real concern, we mostly play hopper ball per hang, 5 mins each way.

The bolt I have is not a foamie, so perhaps this weekend I'll level 7 it, run it for a case or until I start spraypainting (and cursing my pig headed stupidity), whichever comes first and report back with my results.

PS - A supplier here mentioned there is to be a "frontman" or smaller cap VLocity released shortly. Anybody know anything? Reduced weight has to be a bonus if it feeds well, despite being quite the ugliest thing to sit on a marker since the sport evolved.

Keep the post coming, there are all sincerely appreciated! Thanks, Wayne