PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Play Guitar? Just Starting...

jenarelJAM
07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, I'm thinking of picking up guitar. I've played piano for like.... 10 years now,(17 year old) so I've got a pretty good background in music. The problem is... I know absolutely nothing about it.

Okay, I understand there are three(or four) differnet kinds of guitar.
Classic
Acoustic
Electric
Bass

I'm most interested in electric, and have a basic understanding of how it functions.

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to really like playing it, but it's something I've been thinking of learning for a while, on a low key basis, just picking it up sometimes and playing.

For paintball markers, I've put time into knowing what is worth what, what is decent, what is "high end", where the good deals are, what is acceptable in a used gun, and have a basic understanding of every type of guitar.

I'd like to know where a good place to buy a guitar is, used or new, how much you have to pay for a "decent" guitar, what brands are good, what brands of amps are good? Basicly everything about guitar prices and buying/selling/quality/resale.

To use paintball as an example, the Ion is kinda what I'm looking for. Slightly less than profesional quality for pretty cheap. Not the best, but also not too expensive. To continue the example, in this case I would like a used ion, without upgrades(if such a thing exists in guitars), in good condition, that I can turn around and resell for almost what I pay for it if I don't like it. I am interested in something fairly mainstream, and If I get into guitars, I can branch out later.

As a final note, I have enough money to work with, but price is playing a very large factor in this. I don't want to spend any more than I possibly have to, but I also want sound that I don't cringe at. Lets say I've got $500(I've got more, but thats pushing it), but I really am looking towards spending alot less, for both guitar and amp combined.

oneworld
07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
istarted with an ibanez JTK1 (jetking 1) i picked it up for 250 off of ebay.. i would recomend an ibanez to start with... i would start with an acoustic before anything tho.. no need to get ahead of yourself.. and remember your not gonna be a rocker in the first week and a half.. so just dont give up..

Oldest Sage
07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
OneWorlds right, start with a medium/top end used acoustic. That way, if you lose interest, you can get most of your money back. If you stay with it, you'll have a decent guitar. And, yes, forget the rock star in a short time dream... :eek: Just practice and play what you like. Lesson will never hurt you.

gimp
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Go to a local store and look at their used stuff. You can get a little 15 watt amp for cheap. Ask the guys working there for help. Have them play around on the amp. Obviously you don't know how to play, so what good is it for you to test out an amp, it'll sound like crap. You can find some old crate, or peavy amps for pretty cheap usually.

I'm addicted to ibanez guitars. I really like them. I'll disagree with the guys that say to buy an acoustic guitar first. If you want an electric, then by all means get an electric!! Your getting a guitar to have fun, not to force yourself to practice everyday, so get the guitar you want to play.

I'd be sure to get a fixed bridge. It will make tuning it a lot easier. I'd recommend the ibanez rg321. It's a great starter guitar. Really good value for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

I've actually been thinking about getting one myself for a project guitar. I love that mahogany body.

Kyle.Kimber
07-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I too am learning how to play a guitar. I am learning classical because I think Antonio Banderez is smokin.

Oldest Sage
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Musicians Friend is a great place to buy from...great posting Gimp. Here's and idea...get and acoustic/electric and you get both. I play mine with a pedal all the time.

ahellers
07-28-2006, 07:30 PM
i would say get a mexican strat (by fender) fender strat (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0134602325)
pesonaly i would by I USA strat but if your not sure how much your gona get in to it a mex will be just fine, all in all the USAs are the same but they use better parts (kind of like the ion). the music shop i go to has a mex strat that looks just like that one for some where in the 300s i believe brand new. i guess if your interested i could take some pics for you. PM me if your enterested.
the best thing about a strat is it has 3 pickups which gives you a great variaty of sounds. oh and the one at the shop has a humbucker in the bridge possition.
t

jenarelJAM
07-28-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't have ideas of becoming a rockstar : :cool: , I'm just hoping that like... eventually I'll be able to just pick out notes and make a tune I like. I've played piano 10 years, so I know that it takes time to learn an instrument.

Also, my mom already has an acoustic guitar, I just can't stand that sound... I'm leaning towards electric, but bass might still be an option. Haven't decided.

What is a "fixed bridge"?
What is so great about the rg321? How can I tell what I'm getting for the extra money over a less expensive guitar?
So alot of people like IBanez guitars, is it a beginner brand, or just popular brand?
What's a "humbucker in the bridge position"?
What kind of resale is there on guitars? Do they retain xx% of their value from new to used? If I buy a used one, and don't like it, how likely is it that I can get back what I pay for it?
Are there any cheaper guitars that are still decent? I think you guys took that $500 mark to heart. If possible, I REALLY want to save as much of that as I can.

Thanks for all the quick answers and tips.

ojhspyro89
07-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Id just go acoustic at first if you want to save some cash. You wont need amps, cords or any of that, plus its easier to learn on...kinda.

If you start acoustic, you can allways play acoustic. You can play any music on an acoustic that you could play on an Electric. But some songs, you cant play on electric thatll sound good on acoustic.

Just get an acoustic, I suggest Alvarez RD8, its cheap, and sounds great with good strings. Alvarez is looked over, but they make some pretty awesome guitars.

Just go acoustic, and if you like playing, go buy all the electric shtuffs.

jenarelJAM
07-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Also, my mom already has an acoustic guitar, I just can't stand that sound... I'm leaning towards electric, but bass might still be an option. Haven't decided.

I figure that I might end up learning to play on my mom's acoustic, but I really know I won't enjoy it unless I'm playing on an electric.

gimp
07-29-2006, 08:24 AM
What is a "fixed bridge"?
What is so great about the rg321? How can I tell what I'm getting for the extra money over a less expensive guitar?
So alot of people like IBanez guitars, is it a beginner brand, or just popular brand?
What's a "humbucker in the bridge position"?
What kind of resale is there on guitars? Do they retain xx% of their value from new to used? If I buy a used one, and don't like it, how likely is it that I can get back what I pay for it?
Are there any cheaper guitars that are still decent? I think you guys took that $500 mark to heart. If possible, I REALLY want to save as much of that as I can.

A fixed bridge means that the strings are mounted solidly to the body, as opposed to a floating bridge that has a system of springs, so the bridge pivots and you can make some cool noises by cranking on the whammy bar. A fixed bridge is just easier to deal with if your just starting. It will make it easier to tune the guitar.

There isn't anything great about the RG321. I just happen to like it and think it's a good value for the money. I really like the mohogany body too. You can tell alot about a guitar by just picking it up and looking closely at it. You want a guitar that feels solid. Everything is straight, no uneven fret wear, etc. It's tough to describe it. But you can tell a cheap guitar from a better guitar pretty easily.

Ibanez makes a lot of lower end guitars, but they make higher end guitars as well. They have pretty good prices too. I think that is why it is a popular brand.

A humbucker is a type of pickup. It refers to how the wires in the pickup are wound. It is different than a 'single coil' pickup. It eliminates the 60hz humming you'll often times hear through your amp with a single coil pickup. It gives you a different sound too. It's generally better suited for rock than a single coil. The bridge position refers to where the humbucker is. It's either near the bridge, near the neck, or in the middle of the two.

Cheap guitars really don't hold resale value at all. But sometimes you get lucky, so you never know.

ahellers
07-29-2006, 12:07 PM
still sounds to me like you need to pick up a stratocaster, but thats just me and i love fender. you can play almost any type of music on a strat. but one bit of advice, avoid the company SQUIER at all cost, they are the lower end of fender and in MY opinion arnt worth hardly anything.
if you by fender people will almost always take you seriosly. just be carfull strats are notorius (sp?) for coming off the line inconsistently, you really need to pick it up to tell if they are good or not, but when there good there awsome.
and one last thing, I would never buy a guitar sight unseen (aka "musicians friend") all guitars are different and if you by online or mailorder or somthing like that you WILL get burned.
t

gimp
07-29-2006, 12:58 PM
ahellers had a really good point. Guitars coming off the assembly line are pretty inconsistent sometimes. It's definetly worth checking out the guitar before you buy it.

hehe, I think an american strat is a little out of his price range. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a decent used one.

ahellers
07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
well i have a usa strat but i was recomending a mex one. just by god dont get a squire :rolleyes:
t

BeaverEater
07-29-2006, 04:39 PM
i started off with a squire and yes you get what you pay for. then went up to a strat which was ok. Played a gibson les paul, loved it but i would up selling it for a PRS guitar. When starting out it is fine to go out and buy a cheaper guitar because thats all they are. Pretty much disposable to see if you like playing or not. I wouldnt spend much more than a couple hundred bucks on your first axe. After that you'll realize what sound and feel you are wanting in your next guitar.

ahellers
07-29-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah but resale is pretty good on a mex strat, and if you keep it in good condition you can just about get your money back on ebay. i mean i could see buying a squire if you cant afford anything else, but if you can you might as well pick up a mex.
t

jenarelJAM
07-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Around here, theres a sort of online b/s/t for everything, also has job applications, posts resumes, dating, etc. It's called craigslist, and basicly It's a place to post your stuff, and see if anyone emails you wanting it. Then you arrange to meet with the person(cause its all local) and test it, buy it if you like it.

Anyways, since I know nothing really about guitars, I figure I'll bring my friend along when I decide to go check a guitar, since he plays, but he doesn't really know pricing and such, he'll just be coming along to make sure the guitar checks out.

Assuming the guitar checks out, what can you tell me about these?

Guitars:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/187812897.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/187773255.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/187723841.html <--- I know, real cheap, probably real bad, but... just in case, I posted...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/187606147.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/187597457.html <--- old guitar, does it matter?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/187547282.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/187885219.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/186729681.html <--- I like the color, but its kinda expensive, and the guy seems too keen to give me a GREAT deal... hm... :tard:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/185142484.html

Amps:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/187675365.html

Sorry about making you wade through all these links, but I really have no idea what I'm looking at, and telling me to get a Ibanez xx123 or whatever is great, but It would be better If I could compare it to other guitars, and know what's good or bad about them. Thanks everyone.

ahellers
07-30-2006, 05:21 AM
id say your dest bet is the les paul, if it is a gibson (likly not) or an epiphone its a grate deal. however he neglected to get a good shot of the head stock so im thinking it maynot be. if its not one of thoughs two brands id take a pass on it, i also like the white Ibanez but the guy seems kind of shifty to me, i mean he says "i was gona take it back and get a refund but i want to give some one a good deal". yeah right i have never meet a working musican who has free cash like that, not to mention if all there dates got canceled!

one more bit of advice, i would not pick up a guitar with a flyod rose trem system (the first one) for a beginner, they can be huge pain to tune.
EDIT: one more thing, this shouldnt be a problem exept with REAL old guitars or super cheap ones but make sure the guitar has a trus rod. (you can see the plate on the bottom of the head stock most of the time covering it), because if it doesnt you will never be able to ajust the neck when the weather changes start getting to it.
t

gimp
07-30-2006, 07:40 AM
hahaha, don't go for that white ibanez. That's not a great price, I got a brand new RG3EX (the next step up) for $300 bucks out the door.

I think your best bet might be the combo one

grEnAlEins
07-30-2006, 08:13 AM
I kinda want to learn how to play. Right now I only play air guitar :headbang:
My brother is learning to play the bass right now and I want to learn to play an electric guitar. I doubt I will do it any time soon though.

ahellers
07-30-2006, 08:39 AM
I saw a $1500 UKULELE at a music store, that was so rediculusly awsome! :headbang:
t

jenarelJAM
07-30-2006, 03:59 PM
hahaha, don't go for that white ibanez. That's not a great price, I got a brand new RG3EX (the next step up) for $300 bucks out the door.

I think your best bet might be the combo one
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/187547282.html <--- this one? If that's semi-decent guitar and amp, I'd be REALLY happy. I'm willing to almost just drop $160 down right now.... almost...

BeaverEater
07-30-2006, 04:04 PM
that is a fairly decent guitar especially for the price

gimp
07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/187547282.html <--- this one? If that's semi-decent guitar and amp, I'd be REALLY happy. I'm willing to almost just drop $160 down right now.... almost...

For 160 bucks it's about as decent as your gonna get.

jenarelJAM
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Alright cool, If this guy doesn't sell it and reposts it after 10 days(posts expire after 10 days, but you can repost), I might go buy it. The reason for this is that I'm leaving for new york the day after tomorrow, and I'm not about to just jump up and buy the first thing that comes along. I really need to go to my local guitar center, talk to the people there, maybe try some of them, even though I don't know anything about how to play. I'd also like to find a teacher before I start, maybe he'd/she'd have some advice. Thanks all