PDA

View Full Version : Dimples?

StygShore
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I know AGD experimented with this, I didn't know someone actually ended up producing them

the fact they are from a liquidation outlet probably tells you something though :)

anyone ever shot these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-1600-68-CALIBER-AMP-PAINTBALLS-ASSORTED-COLORS_W0QQitemZ270012298578QQihZ017QQcategoryZ160 49QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Styg

Edit: :tard: **** Link added

geekwarrior
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
one of what?

NewbieMagMan10988
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Have links/pics?

I knew AGD talked abuot them, never sen ones made though...

Mike

StygShore
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
link added

its ZAP AMP paint it looks like

y0da900
08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
link added

its ZAP AMP paint it looks like

It is, and it isn't really dimpled so much as textured. It shot great out of one of my friends SIM-5's, but like crap out of my 98 despite seeming to be a decent fit to the barrell.

back2integrity
08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Each tub has broken balls inside... and my guess is that textured paintballs won't be quite as easy to fully clean as regular paintballs would be.

warbeak2099
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
But you don't have to buy them from that ebay seller. You can get them for the full $59 price. I'd like to try them I guess.

StygShore
08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah I know you can buy them from peopel other than this Ebay reseller, and I just finally read that there "may" be some broken balls in each tub

what do you want to bet someone works for Wallmart, and tey are diggin throught he trash when there is a broken ball in a container :)

I was just curious if the dimples did anything at all, and if anyone used these.

by the sounds of it, the design is not dimpled like a golf ball, but more a rough suface like what you get on crappy big ball and other brands of low end paint. ZAP just turned it around and tried to use it as a marketing ploy

Styg

NewbieMagMan10988
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I think i got a tube of those as a gift one time.

They shot ok, not really dimples as much as a "rough" surface.

The feild i play is FPO at 40 a case, so im not to worried...

Mike

d4m4don3
08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
"what do you want to bet someone works for Wallmart, and tey are diggin throught he trash when there is a broken ball in a container :)"
You don't need to dig trough the trashcan, you can just look at the paint on display, some of them have broken balls in it. Especially the super swirls.

geekwarrior
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
"what do you want to bet someone works for Wallmart, and tey are diggin throught he trash when there is a broken ball in a container :)"
You don't need to dig trough the trashcan, you can just look at the paint on display, some of them have broken balls in it. Especially the super swirls.

yeah, I dont buy any paint from walmart anymore, I've tried 3 different brands from them, they all sucked.

Chronobreak
08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
so apparently from the thread here, the dimples didnt help at all, they actualy apparently hurt and hurt the trajactory of the ball, and caused no lift like a golfball

my question is, it appears the data was onyl tested with conventional straight barrels,

what would the effect be of a flatline type barrel, and a "dimpled like paintball"
if any

StygShore
08-04-2006, 01:41 PM
probably same results, as a flatline needs a nice round ball to shoot nice and "accurate"

The dimples seem to be marketing hype = crap

Styg

mag_lover05
08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
stick with empire and RPS paints.

Lohman446
08-05-2006, 06:53 AM
I would think it would help the flatline effect... not that I have a clue

Chronobreak
08-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I would think it would help the flatline effect... not that I have a clue

can i call you lindsay lohman? :D

im not gonna go buy dimpled paints(its not liek you can anyways)

i was just curious of the physics behind it( i diddnt start the thread)

seems to me a flatline would give the ball a rotation much like a golfball, but more pronounced(?)

maybe you shoot it and the ball does a 360"* and whops you back in the head :rofl:

Lohman446
08-05-2006, 08:52 AM
can i call you lindsay lohman? :D

im not gonna go buy dimpled paints(its not liek you can anyways)

i was just curious of the physics behind it( i diddnt start the thread)

seems to me a flatline would give the ball a rotation much like a golfball, but more pronounced(?)

maybe you shoot it and the ball does a 360"* and whops you back in the head :rofl:

Not necessarily the roughness helping in the flight pattern but helping in the creation of the flatline effect. My understanding of the flatline is that the curve of the barrel causes the ball to start to spin in the barrel and create backspin as it rides against the top edge of the barrel. One would think if it was friction that caused the backspin and the flatline effect that a rough surface would generate more friction.

Theoretical - I don't shoot a flatline or rough paint so I don't really care.

d4m4don3
08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
But would the increased friction caused by the flatline and the dimpled balls cause the balls to burst?