PDA

View Full Version : Where are the wood grips???

sTaLa
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
When I began to play paintball, they were everywhere: in the shops, the magazines, on the net. Nowadays I can't seem to find any... Do you know of any place I could buy one?

Thanks.

StygShore
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
ebay has old style wood grips but they want like 25-30 bucks for them.

Best bet is look for them used, I know I sold a pair of 45 green SP grips a few years ago and switched to all rubber wrap arounds because I like the soft feel better.

Styg

warpfeedmod
08-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah I've been lookin for a decent set for the emag, I could care a less about the window, but I think it was gripgurl or someone else on here a few years ago would custom make em, now I can't seem to find anyone looking to do it :(

Maggot6
08-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I haven't checked in forever, but I think shartley used to make them (member of this board, haven't seen him post in a while.)

luke
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah I've been lookin for a decent set for the emag, I could care a less about the window, but I think it was gripgurl or someone else on here a few years ago would custom make em, now I can't seem to find anyone looking to do it :(

Yea it was Shartley. His website is no longer up, not sure what happened.

jsdatjsd
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Dremel.
Oak plank from home depot.
1 tin of wood polish, your choice of colors.
DOne.

bigbadboz
08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
When I began to play paintball, they were everywhere: in the shops, the magazines, on the net. Nowadays I can't seem to find any... Do you know of any place I could buy one?

Thanks.

i hope i do tis right. next mag ot the month i will have my pics up i hope. plz lets start a rising in the old school style of oak wood grips stained in any color of life. heres a sugestion i got an amish dude to hand craft me soe for a mag of mine, and hopefully soon ill have a devil mag on the way that ill get fitted as well. they are chargin me roun 150 for them but there nothin like the look anywhere any more good luck in your search

jsdatjsd
08-02-2006, 09:33 PM
they are chargin me roun 150 for them

Holy cannoli....I need tp pull out my woodworking tools and go into business.

How many people would pay $150 dollars for wood grips?

*edit*
Here is a place that sells wood grips. Don't know if I like the look, but they are there....

http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AOS&Category_Code=OLDSCHOOL

sTaLa
08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Well... not me! I've got some skills to make things but I don't have the time now to sand a piece of wood forerever...

*edit*
For my part... I know I don't like the look... I guess I'll just have to catch a used one somewhere :(.

electriceel125
08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
I have a pair of old wood grips on my 95 P&P supercocker. Theyre very comfortable but get slippery when wet.

Jaan
08-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Well... not me! I've got some skills to make things but I don't have the time now to sand a piece of wood forerever...It doesn't take that long, I made these left handed grips from a piece of leftover mahogany (guitar project) in one night. Maybe 2 hours. I wanted to keep the Nelspot look and I finished it in linseed oil so they stay grippy. Basically it went like this ... paper template, cut out with jig saw, cut in half (1 3/4" thick piece) belt sand, bastard file, Black & Decker mouse sand, and then hand finish when it's about 99% close. The belt sander takes most of the work out of it.

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/36000/NelspotRight_rs.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/36653.html)

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/36000/NelspotLeft_rs.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/36652.html)

I know you can still find the old Smart Parts wood grips around, you just have to be patient. A lot of the older paintball store still have some in the "bakc room". I think my local store, PW Paintball, has at least one of these in black, and maybe a couple more:

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/36000/ClosedLeft.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/36143.html)

Up until a couple of months ago Smart Parts still had a few ones for the stock frame in thier "closeout" section.

Tunaman
08-03-2006, 05:03 AM
I have a few pairs of the SP Woog grips for the Mag in Camo/green pattern. Email me. ;)

Arstron
08-03-2006, 09:56 AM
i got an amish dude to hand craft me soe for a mag of mine, and hopefully soon ill have a devil mag on the way that ill get fitted as well.

When you get your DevilMag, you are going to have an "Amish dude" carve wood grips for it? I sure hope you dont tell him that its a devilmag before he starts on it. :rofl:

NewbieMagMan10988
08-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Id look over at MCarterBrown.com

Great site for old PB stuff.

Plus the chat rocks.

Mike

deathstalker
08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
The market for wood grips is really strange. I've seen some pairs go for $5, others go for $30, just days apart. I had a set of purple ones a while back, bought at closeout, and I sold them for more than I originally paid. I picked up another pair on eBay a couple months ago for $15 shipped. A little patience will pay off in the end.

shartley
08-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Someone say my name? ;)

Yes, I made wooden grips. Yes, I will be making them again.

As for wooden grips being easy to make… sure, they can be. Even more so when they are panel grips. Front wraps form scratch are a different beast. And shaping the grips is one thing, but most people I see make them simply don’t finish them. They get about 50-80% where the grips need to be and then call them “done”.

Also it is true that the wood grip market is strange. Mass produced wood grips like SP’s go from $5-$35 on average and work great. And then I have grips that sell for well over $100. It is all up to how much work goes into the grips, what the wood is, any detail work (such as checkering or theme carving, etc.), and whether any special fitting needs to be done.

I will not however take any more special orders. I will make what I am moved to make and let folks buy them if they want them. I fell WAY behind last time because of health and other reasons, and I will not let that happen again.

scrumpy
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Another thing you don't see very often is wood paneling on cars. Coincidence? I think not.

shartley
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Another thing you don't see very often is wood paneling on cars. Coincidence? I think not.
LOL Let me guess…. You are a speedball player who is used to seeing only bright markers and clothing? ;)

Seriously though, there is a wide range of markers and styles out there. We have stock class on up to space guns and everything in between. And we have all styles of play from speedball, to woodsball and scenario and mil-sim play. If folks think wooden grips are not out there or desired, they may need to expand their playing a bit.

So while wooden grips may not be seen on many “modern” Mags and PBN markers, there are entire forums/players that would eat them up given the chance. Heck, Palmers’ markers are almost always best when wrapped in wood. And so are PGPs and a good many other pump markers. It is all good. So remember that your style and what you may see on your field may not be a true representation of what is out there….. or wanted. ;)

ShotOnSight
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Would it be possible to stain wood grips to match an acid washing type anodizing job ? Plain would be fine but the more unique the better in my book :cool:

shartley
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Would it be possible to stain wood grips to match an acid washing type anodizing job ? Plain would be fine but the more unique the better in my book :cool:
It may be, but it would not be easy. I think it would actually work better to pick one of the colors in the anno job and go with that.

jsdatjsd
08-03-2006, 07:55 PM

Yeah, that road salt is really harsh on those paintball gun grips.....