PDA

View Full Version : X-Stream Regulator and other adj. regs

Aslan
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Problem: I have a Nitro Duck X-Stream adjustable reg on a Crossfire LP tank. The output pressure when I first got it was in the upper 700s (psi). I tried to turn it up but couldn't get it to go up. I couldn't get it to turn at all with the wrench or a strap wrench.

So I sent it to Nitro Duck. They were nice and did some ragular maintenance on it free of charge. They sent it back with a note saying they gave it a cleaning and could find nothing wrong with it.

So, I was excited...aired it up...tried to turn it up...200...400...600...800...urgghhah!!! I just about broke my hand off to get the pressure to 825psi. :wow: My goal is to set the input pressure at say 900-925 to get the maximum performance out of the valve with minimum shootdown. It's not crucial for my Classic valve, but I really wanted the increased pressure for my new Retro Valve. I'm very disappointed that here I have this adjustable regulator and I can't adjust it to even 850...which I thought was the standard for preset tanks. :confused:

All I can think of is that when it gets to a certain input pressure, it's "Full" and that's why I can't turn it up anymore. Maybe I need to fire some shots while I'm turning it up to release the back pressure? Could it have to do with the tank being an LP tank? I always thought the actual tanks are the same between LP and HP...it was just the reg that was different.

I don't know...I hate to call Nitro Duck back. And I hate to get rid of this tank and try to pick up a preset so that I can get an extra 25psi. I'd like to get a flatline, but ain't got that kinda $$$...and I hate to just toss an X-Stream reg away when it should work.

Any suggestions?

egb groupie
08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Problem: I have a Nitro Duck X-Stream adjustable reg on a Crossfire LP tank. The output pressure when I first got it was in the upper 700s (psi). I tried to turn it up but couldn't get it to go up. I couldn't get it to turn at all with the wrench or a strap wrench.

So I sent it to Nitro Duck. They were nice and did some ragular maintenance on it free of charge. They sent it back with a note saying they gave it a cleaning and could find nothing wrong with it.

So, I was excited...aired it up...tried to turn it up...200...400...600...800...urgghhah!!! I just about broke my hand off to get the pressure to 825psi. :wow: My goal is to set the input pressure at say 900-925 to get the maximum performance out of the valve with minimum shootdown. It's not crucial for my Classic valve, but I really wanted the increased pressure for my new Retro Valve. I'm very disappointed that here I have this adjustable regulator and I can't adjust it to even 850...which I thought was the standard for preset tanks. :confused:

All I can think of is that when it gets to a certain input pressure, it's "Full" and that's why I can't turn it up anymore. Maybe I need to fire some shots while I'm turning it up to release the back pressure? Could it have to do with the tank being an LP tank? I always thought the actual tanks are the same between LP and HP...it was just the reg that was different.

I don't know...I hate to call Nitro Duck back. And I hate to get rid of this tank and try to pick up a preset so that I can get an extra 25psi. I'd like to get a flatline, but ain't got that kinda $$$...and I hate to just toss an X-Stream reg away when it should work.

Any suggestions?
I have the same tank, and I can't get it over 825 psi as well. I guess that nitroduck doesn't feel the need for the psi to go any higher since the majority of guns out there don't rely on higher or lower pressure for performance, just one pressure range (LP or HP)

the mag guy
08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
you problem is you have a LP tank that youre trying to run high pressure. Two options, call nitro duck and have them replace the lp spring with a HP spring, then tada, you can run HP.

The adjustable max flows are extremely easy to change, just unscrew the big knob and poop in a new spring. I'm assuming the adj. nitro ducks aren't this easy. Im pretty sure if you are able to remove the spring yourself, you could just order a HP spring.

I have a nitro duck fixed 800 psi output and it does just fine at rapid fire with no shootdown. only time ur gonna get shootdown is i f youre exceeding 24 bps. I have messed with input pressures and ofund that 800 and up all that really changes is reactivity of the trigger. Now I know that higher pressure ='s faster echarge, but its not THAT huge of a difference.

I check up with nitro duck earlier last week and their HP tanks are adjustable to up to 1000 psi i believe. I didnt order one, but Im sure thinkin about it.

Aslan
08-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Just for clarification, I don't have an LP set-up. It's an adjustable high pressure reg on an LP tank. Only the tank is LP...and I believe that there's no difference between a tank that says LP or HP...it just matters what reg is sitting on top of the tank.

As for the reg, it is certainly HP...supposed to be adjustable up to like 1400 or something. Hmm. That kind've stinks that it wouldn't be able to adjust higher than 800-825...if that's the case than people could save alot of money and get HP preset Nitro duck tanks. Maybe I should call them again. :confused:

geekwarrior
08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I have a nitro duck adj reg too, but I was told that it is only adjustable from 250-850, it wont go any higher than that.

the mag guy
08-03-2006, 01:59 PM
if were talking just the tank, it cant be a LP tank. Some genious manufacturer might have put LP on it to sell it, but Air/Nitro (non c02) tanks hold 3-5 K of pressure when filled and not in use, or even when in use. 3-5K of pressure is no way considered LP in terms of paintball. I dont know what the exact standard is, but I consider 0-500 psi LP b/c my AA Vigilante reg was a LP reg and that was the range on it.

you are right, it doesnt matter what the tank says, the hp or lp depends on the reg sitting on it.

StygShore
08-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Per Brad Robinson at Nitro Duck about 3 years ago - something to the affect of " The original regs went to 900, but they recharged so fast we saw no need to have them go past 800 in testing..."

He was supposed to find me an original spring pack, and never got back with me and quit answering emails - assuming he left their employment, or just didnt want to be bothered by me anymore.

At any rate, if you can get it above 800 kudos to you.

This is why I went to a fixed output crossfire - it was 850 when I got it, and a year or two later it is still at 850

Styg

Other option, disassemble it, and put a washer or 2 in the spring pack....if you want to be that brave.

Aslan
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Maybe I should invest in a flatline...that can get to 925psi output right?

Let's say I stick with the X-Stream reg until the tank needs rehydro...would AGD put a reg on it and hydro it at the same time? Or would they add the reg and then I would need to have it hydro tested somewhere when I get it back? How does the whole process work?

Beemer
08-04-2006, 02:08 AM
The tank needs to be in date. Get it tested first. Then get the reg put on.

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=77&categoryID=43

flyingpootang
08-04-2006, 04:58 AM
I have an Air America Apoc 68 4500 for sale Pm me ..

fifthmag
08-07-2006, 03:23 AM
I had a nitroduck too, on the premise it would be adjustable to 1000, like they said. It wasn't.
I biffed it and bought a MaxFlo MF1 - beautiful reg, but ultimately going back to preset LegionAir as I use a ULT so reactivity is not really an issue for me.

So just from my personal experience, sell the nitrodog and get a reg with a proper adjustment range, or a good preset. Like one of the guys said above me, it was 850 when I bought it, two years later it's still 850.

Aslan
08-08-2006, 07:03 AM
I know! :cuss:

I'm really disappointed...I always though Nitro Duck was one of the better all around air tank companies out there so I was pretty disappointed to find out the reg wouldn't even put out as much pressure as a friggin CO2 tank!

One of these days....when I save up a little more money, maybe I'll get another tank...maybe get lucky and get something TRULY adjustable!!

I've seen alot of MacDev adjustable regs out there for sale...are those any good? I've heard alot of good things about the flatline and dynaflow...are those probably the best? I always thought one was the same as the rest...but apparently in the case of the X-Stream...that's not the case...so.... :confused:

Danimal82
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I also have an xstream regulator. It was supposed to put out 900psi max. I can only get 825 out of it. Also, did any of you notice how the regulator wiggles as the pressure drops?The thing is freaking scary. I read online that someone had the regulator seperate in half at a major event years ago. I don't know if this story is true, but is was enough for me to question my purchase. I called and was put on hold only to be passed around until I was fed up and hung up. I love the tuffskin tank, just not the regs. Gotta love 5 year Hydro

Ken Majors
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Per Brad Robinson at Nitro Duck about 3 years ago - something to the affect of " The original regs went to 900, but they recharged so fast we saw no need to have them go past 800 in testing..."

He was supposed to find me an original spring pack, and never got back with me and quit answering emails - assuming he left their employment, or just didnt want to be bothered by me anymore.

This is the exact thing he told me....at about the same time. I bought a max-flow.
I still have the Xstream but I use it in low pressure mode on an Ion.

StygShore
08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Anyone bust one of those regs open and put a washer in the spring pack yet to see if the output pressure can be increased to 900+?

Styg

Aslan
08-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm a bit too afraid of my lack of mechanical abilities to go busting off the reg on my primary tank. :eek:

zyklon69
08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
eh, i just ordered one of these tanks.. it advertised to be able to adjust to 900psi.. if i can't set it to that, they'll be having some problems with me.

StygShore
08-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Prepare to make some problems then.

They go to about 825 on a good day.

Styg

Ken Majors
08-16-2006, 07:29 AM
eh, i just ordered one of these tanks.. it advertised to be able to adjust to 900psi.. if i can't set it to that, they'll be having some problems with me.

Better warm up your dialing finger. They WILL NOT adjust to 900. /emphasize period

Aslan
08-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I got mine up to 800-825psi...that was it. I'm going to use it for the time being, but when it comes time for rehydro, I'll be looking at putting something like a MacDev, dynaflow, or flatline on it...something that actually an get me to 925psi.

Hopefully, when I get my Minimag back with the ULT installed...I won't be starving it at 825psi or I'll be very disappointed. :(

:cheers: